996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Does 600 hp upgrade cause long term reliability issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:53 AM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
Does 600 hp upgrade cause long term reliability issues?

Have any of you 600+ hp guys had long term reliability issues with this type package (Upgraded turbos, headers, exhaust,boost hoses, fuel pressure regulator and programming)? I'm using an excellent shop, but still wanted to be sure from real-life experiences that this type of hp increase doesn't invite engine/tranny problems. Thanks. GBG

P.S. Also, do you recommend upgraded intercoolers and clutch?

Last edited by GBG; 02-21-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
I will give you a general answer for what it is worth. Any time you increase the power output of an engine, you are reducing the longetivity of parts that were not designed to withstand the increased power levels.

If the engine that is currnetly in the car could reliably handle 600hp for the life of the car, then Porsche would probably put the necessary parts on the car to support the 600hp out of the box.

If you are not ready to spend money and deal with issues, I would probably stick with a flash and some more basic mods.

I may be way off in the Porsche world since I do not own one, but my commnets are based on years spent with owning/modifying turbo cars.

BTW, other than flash/exhaust/intake, ICs would be my next thing - it is all about the volume and density of air you can stuff into the chamber (with appropriate fuel + spark of course).

Good luck

Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
I would stick with something like the evoms 660 kit: flash, gt28's with tial hothousings, injectors, exhaust, hitachi maf, intake, dv's+fhose and a beefed up clutch

Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tvr-4
I will give you a general answer for what it is worth. Any time you increase the power output of an engine, you are reducing the longetivity of parts that were not designed to withstand the increased power levels.

If the engine that is currnetly in the car could reliably handle 600hp for the life of the car, then Porsche would probably put the necessary parts on the car to support the 600hp out of the box.

If you are not ready to spend money and deal with issues, I would probably stick with a flash and some more basic mods.

I may be way off in the Porsche world since I do not own one, but my commnets are based on years spent with owning/modifying turbo cars.

BTW, other than flash/exhaust/intake, ICs would be my next thing - it is all about the volume and density of air you can stuff into the chamber (with appropriate fuel + spark of course).

Good luck

Not neccessarily,
Porsche didn't offer it as a 600hp car out of the box not because of reliability or because they "couldn't" but rather because that much power isn't really needed for your average Porsche owner.... However, Porsche designs their cars to be able to support power like that without having issues - and they do this through the design of the block/rods/pistons/tranny, etc... That powertrain has proved itself time and time again to be reliable at that amount of power... Start making 700+ and you're pushing it.. But Porsche offers it with 415hp out of the box with a 150-200hp+ buffer just to ensure that they will NEVER have any issues with the internals of the motor at just 415hp. They're simply building in a huge buffer, which is smart, and leaves the owners/tunes with plenty of room to play with

Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i warm my engine up for no more than 20 seconds
my car see's redline every single day, well over 100 mph
and i powerslide it as often as i can (im on my 3rd set of tires in a year)
for the people that know me in person (slavik, illm3,rpm racing) they can attest that im not exxagerating. i beat the hell out of all my cars...

my car is set to 1.2 bar on 93 pump
and i change my oil every 10-15k miles

i havent had a SINGLE problem with the exception of a boost hose popping off, and having a clutch and throw out bearing go

the engine has no leaks, with the exception of a tiny tiny tiny leak of the head gasket (slight build up on the right cylinder bank, does not , and never has dripped oil)

the car has a JIC suspension set in the middle, with stainless steel bushings all around, and adjustable rsr control arms

in july, i dynod my car with no cooling fans, on a 93 degree day, it made 49x RWHP
we tweaked a few things here and there, and my car is probably making around 520rwhp (dynojet)

these engines are bullet proof..
so long as you use good gasoline (i put fuel injector cleaner in my tank every 2 months), and always have my oil topped off

Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Like Steve said these cars are bulletproof and a 650 package from a good tuner will be fine...as some ppl will say, this is the next gem supra in terms of tuning...

Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
i warm my engine up for no more than 20 seconds
my car see's redline every single day, well over 100 mph
and i powerslide it as often as i can (im on my 3rd set of tires in a year)
for the people that know me in person (slavik, illm3,rpm racing) they can attest that im not exxagerating. i beat the hell out of all my cars...

my car is set to 1.2 bar on 93 pump
and i change my oil every 10-15k miles

i havent had a SINGLE problem with the exception of a boost hose popping off, and having a clutch and throw out bearing go

the engine has no leaks, with the exception of a tiny tiny tiny leak of the head gasket (slight build up on the right cylinder bank, does not , and never has dripped oil)

the car has a JIC suspension set in the middle, with stainless steel bushings all around, and adjustable rsr control arms

in july, i dynod my car with no cooling fans, on a 93 degree day, it made 49x RWHP
we tweaked a few things here and there, and my car is probably making around 520rwhp (dynojet)

these engines are bullet proof..
so long as you use good gasoline (i put fuel injector cleaner in my tank every 2 months), and always have my oil topped off
Great post Steve,
What's your setup btw? Nice numbers, hence why i'm asking

And are you dyno'ing with AWD or RWD?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Buck80 is the most insane human I have ever met. He has over 40K miles on a 600HP mod with no problems. He has chewed up his 1st gear syncro but that is it. He drives 195mph, races liter sportbikes and does VIR in 2:09. He doesn't know the word "moderation" and is a maniac on the road. I think 600HP is a safe bet.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
theporscheguy is infamous around these parts
Agreed, I have seen many 600+hp cars with no issues to speak of, except one client launching his car off of a set of railroad tracks and tearing his turbos off, does that count?... 700hp is max without internal mods but 600-650 is a solid car that will provide you years of use with decent mileage and great reliability. I would recommend however that you research what "kit" you will buy. There are lots of tuners out there, not all achieve the power the same way. EVO, FVD, they are some the bigger guys out there. We have always had great results from EVO products. Imagine auto is good too and they deal with EVO on a lot of projects and the owner at Imagine is PCA's Turbo technical guy so he knows his stuff. And he's a damn nice guy too, even though he could twist you into a pretzel...(JiuJitsu guy). Have a blast with your turbo, it's bullet proof and wave to the Ferrari's and Lambo's as you pass them on their flatdecks on their way to the shop!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a great platform, makes me that much more excited shopping for mine. :-)

Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
just to give you guys an idea
i bought my car with 37k miles
it now has 65000 miles

as of november, my car had 46700 type 1 overrevs (rev limiter)
im probably somewhere aroung 50000 now .. and like i said , no issues
my shop put a stethescope looking thing on my engine, and the valves and lifters all sound fine

my mods are
UMW tune
k24 turbo
964 RSR lightweight flywheel
evo wastegates
billet diverter valves
k&n air filter
RWD conversion
clutch masters ceramic clutch
short shift kit
JIC suspension w. adjustable camber plates
GT2 stainless steel bushings
gt3 adjustable toe links
gt2 intercoolers
fabspeed gen 1 exhaust with 100 cell cats (going with cat bypass in a few weeks)
stoptech 355 6 pot up front, stoptech 332 4 pot in the rear
car is tuned for 93 octane and hold 1.2 bar , ocasionally spikes at 1.3

future plans (once i start working) is to do some sort of a hybrid turbo kit, injectors, fuel system upgrade, silicone boost hoses, and i want a longer 6th gear ... ide like to be around 600 rwhp on pump gas...
if i can afford it, ide like a carillo rod with upgraded valve springs, and a redline of 8000-8500

car has seen 202 mph with absolutely no problems at all

im probably forgetting a few mods here and there , so i will add it when i remember

oh yea, there is some porsche motorsport component inside my transmission..
its not the gears, i think its something that holds the gears in place ???

Last edited by DNugget991GT3; 02-21-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Do you know what kind of HP you put down to wheels?

Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM
on a dynojet, my car should put down around 520rwhp
i put down (i think) 499rwhp in the summer, without a single cooling fan... and i had a more restrictive exhaust, along with a stock air filter back then

my goal is a broader powerband, and about 600 RWHP , on a 93 octane , everyday drive tune

Old 02-21-2009, 03:47 PM
here's a video of my car in the summer
old exhaust (car is MUCH louder now)

me against a gallardo with full exhaust and tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlQYGYnv7g

my against a tuned z06 (RCNJ)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58c4-ziIHL0

Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
GREAT posts guys, especially Steve's! I now have no reservations about a 600 hp upgrade, thanks again.

I'm having Farnbacher Loles do the work; I've done my research they are an excellent shop and are located in nearby Danbury Ct.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does 600 hp upgrade cause long term reliability issues?