996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT3 "Style" seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
GT3 "Style" seats?

What's up with this? My gut tells me not to buy replica safety equipment. I would hate to be ejected while harnessed to my seat. But then again, if i am harnessed/seatbelted, wouldnt these seats still be ok as i'm technically attached to the car and not the seat?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32%26fsoo%3D2

Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Gt3 style seats have the lap and sub belts attached to the seat not the car...so the answer to your question is no

Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
bavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to allbavorak is a name known to all
If there is no concrete safety info or specs, ask yourself this, would you put your life at stake for the savings of 2-3K? I would not. I have the OEM seats and they are top notch quality and fit.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
giggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to beholdgiggalo is a splendid one to behold
The seatbelts are attached to the car via b biller and buckle. no?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Chuck described it right, but the thing is that the factory Porsche seats aren't any different. They attach the same way. In fact most any seat will attach to either the seat itself or the rails/ seat.

Could be these people that make them......

http://www.revozport.com/revozportRT.htm

You'd be surprised at the Porsche tax we pay on some stuff. I've literally seen the same rotors that guys have been spending 200+ dollars for and made by the ssame company unbadged for less than 100 bucks.

Now this is recaro we are talking about, but in the grand scheme of things Recaro doesn't make many FIA approved seats which is the real test of a seat. If it's not FIA, it's a crapshoot as to ACTUAL quality.

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-23-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
Revozport don't make these seats, they are a reseller, I have seen these seats first hand, the shell of the seat is no different in shape to the recaro or OEM unit, the leather used is a cheap leather and does not compare to the leather that Porsche or Recaro use.

I would also note that they do not look as solid as the OEM units, god help if you had an accident, you have a Porsche, spend the money on the right part not a cheap copy, my 0.02.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
My only point is that people buy into the Recaro GT3 seat (including myself) when unless they are FIA approved, they aren't any safer. Now a seat that's not TUV/DOT approved is a different story. If they are a second set of seats, having plush leather is not a big deal IMO.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I do carry rep. GT3 seats. We all understand those are not FIA approved like OEM seats. But as far as I know, those seat have been on market for 3+ years and I'm yet to see any report of failure of the seats itself. I have OEM 997GT3 euro, 996GT3 euro and those rep. 996GT3 seats . The $6K each 997GT3 euro is the lightest but the build quality was not any better than rep GT3 seats, even the rep. seats CF weave look better and OEM. At the end is you choice, you can get a pair of black OEM 996GT3 seats from suncoast for $2.8K. I'm selling my non CF seats for $1.1K a pairs. They all come with 996/997 backets which will direct bolt on and you can choice from different color stitching and alcantara inserts.

http://www.rotteccarbon.com/seat.php

Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken the OEM GT3 seats ARE NOT FIA approved. I'm pretty sure they are not.

Those are some sharp looking seats. What are the weights for FRP,CF,Kev per seat?

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-23-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
pplace993 is infamous around these parts
Thats a "HOT" looking seat!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
GTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to beholdGTRETA is a splendid one to behold
Ray, not to take anything away from you, I am merely stating that the replicas are not as solid as the OEM units, I had a very bad car accident in my TT and had the OEM GT3 Carbon seats, I am sure that if I had a replica seat there would have been some serious injuries.

What I am basically saying is that for the extra money it is worth while to go OEM, I also note that the seat brackets on the replica seats are half the thickness of the Porsche OEM brackets, and on top of that you cannot use the OEM brackets for the replicas as the holes don't line up.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRETA
Ray, not to take anything away from you, I am merely stating that the replicas are not as solid as the OEM units, I had a very bad car accident in my TT and had the OEM GT3 Carbon seats, I am sure that if I had a replica seat there would have been some serious injuries.

What I am basically saying is that for the extra money it is worth while to go OEM, I also note that the seat brackets on the replica seats are half the thickness of the Porsche OEM brackets, and on top of that you cannot use the OEM brackets for the replicas as the holes don't line up.
interesting. you make some good points about the seats, but unless someone tests them all it's all conjecture. The replica might have just as easily performed as well as the original in your scenario. We really don't know. And if what HC says is true, then the originals aren't really tested either.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Ray:

i guess the real question is, are the seats you carry dot approved? Have they been crash tested by an independent firm. There really is no need to spend $2-3k for seats taht are just as good as the ones you carry for half the price. But if this will end up a safety liability, the $1500 saved is just stupid.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Someone mentioned the belts being bolted to the seat instead of the car. I've been told by several tech inspectors that they will not, repeat NOT approve a harness bolted to the seat instead of the car's chassis. I know that some will argue this, but that's what I was told by a couple different tech inspectors when I started down the whole "track day" prep thing two years ago...

Also, The difference in FIA approval is simpy who ponies up the finds to get the various testing certifications... If you go to SEMA you'll find any number of companies from far of Asian countries hoking their wares and they all look just like the "approved" products, at significantly less costs!

And yea, those seats look VERY good.

Mike

Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The Recaro GT3 seats must be crash tested by Porsche, since Porsche offered these on the European GT3 cars they sold. I doubt they would release a seat for a track car without proper verification of it's suitability to that type of use.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 02-23-2009 at 06:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 "Style" seats?