996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark plug gap, good to go out of the box?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Spark plug gap, good to go out of the box?

I bought some Bosch FR6 LDC spark plugs in preparation for a change next month. Are they good to install as they are, or do I need to check and adjust the gap?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpha
I bought some Bosch FR6 LDC spark plugs in preparation for a change next month. Are they good to install as they are, or do I need to check and adjust the gap?
Check to make sure the gap is the same on all the plugs.

i think most people gap them at .028 or .032.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I was told they were fine out of the ebox (FR6 LDC). They were all the same...checked. I cannot remember the number now...

Jeff

EDIT: Took it to the indy, he checked them, they were correct from the factory. No issues. Just called: 0.028. All six were spot on from the box. (he wrote it down on the bill....)

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-25-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alpha
We always check and regap these plugs when we use them.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
tony
what do you gap them at for a 1.2 bar k24 car on 93 pump

Old 02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
tony
what do you gap them at for a 1.2 bar k24 car on 93 pump
.026-.028

If you plan on running more then 1.2 bar , gap them a little tighter.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
andymac is infamous around these parts
Edited as I'm doopid

Last edited by andymac; 04-08-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I just did my own 30K service (with the help of a pro) and after we went thru the hassle of swapping out the plugs....I get the news that we should have gone to the Bosche rather than use the Porsche recommendede Beru plugs. That seems to be a universal recommendation these days....could you please tell me what the difference is....I think the Bosche are running a bit cooler? Other than that...what's the performance issue?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Think of plugs as a nice suit - picking up a suit off the rack may fit, but it's good to check before you need to wear it.

Most suits to fit right will need to be tailored - tailor the plugs to fit your needs.

Rich

Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
I would always check them. My last batch was somehow squished during shipping and was pretty much touching the electrode.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SXN
I would always check them. My last batch was somehow squished during shipping and was pretty much touching the electrode.

Exactly, some knucklehead (no offense if you are one) putting them on the shelf could drop one on the floor and mash the end in and if you don't check it when you take it out of the box...well, it's a lot of work to do twice in one day for something that takes seconds to do ...

Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I tried getting Bosch plugs from a dealer yesterday, they said that Porsche no longer sells the Bosch and only Beru's were available. Anyone else have this experience?

I do know the coil packs are made by Beru as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Any recommendations? anyone what the stock gap is?

I'm having an indie do my work so it would be nice to tell him what to set them at.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I would think .028 is acceptable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark plug gap, good to go out of the box?