996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

jacking the front end up and putting stands under

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
wowgogs is infamous around these parts
jacking the front end up and putting stands under

I have searched everywhere and can not find a straight answer on how to jack up the front of my 996. if I Jack up from the points behind the wheel I have no where to put the jack stand because I have the jack there...
There must be a point on the middle front that can raise the whole front at once and then be able to place the 2 jack stands..

Thanks guys

Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
depending on how high you need it to go, if you jack the rear from in front of the rear wheel it will lift the entire side.....then slide a jackstand in under the front jack point. do the same for the other side.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by audikp
depending on how high you need it to go, if you jack the rear from in front of the rear wheel it will lift the entire side.....then slide a jackstand in under the front jack point. do the same for the other side.
I don't think that will work for the second side, once you have one side on a jack stand. Have you tried this?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
yes jack from the rear jack points. the chasis is very stiff.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I've done it many many times but I let mine rest on stacks of short 2 X 6's and 2 X 4's. Gives me a little more comfort that way. I can actually get the car pretty high off the ground by adding several on each side and then going back with the jack to raise a side even higher then shim it with a few more, and so forth.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
I don't think that will work for the second side, once you have one side on a jack stand. Have you tried this?
i've done one side like this.

the chassis is stiff enough to do both sides, you just need good jackstands and carefully do the 2nd side.

someone did a write up on RT... http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3404

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
wowgogs is infamous around these parts
Ah ya this makes sense I will try it tommorrow. I didn't even think of doing that.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
ccc
ccc is infamous around these parts
I have tried the methods suggested on the forum and they work quite well.

I have recently picked up a set of integrated jack and jack stands from Sears (Lift n' secure) that works pretty well. You insert the jackstand into the jack, raise the car on the pad designed for jacking. Once its up, you can remove the jack and the stand is automatically placed under the pad (comes with two stands). Worked well enough so I bought two sets for all for corners. IMO, it seems a bit faster, can raise each corner up incrementally to even out the loading, and I didn't have to jack under the engine. Since my car has PSS9 and lowered, the stands are about 3/4" taller then the bottom of the car so I used a conventional jack on the front pad to get the rear jackstand in to start the process.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ccc
I have tried the methods suggested on the forum and they work quite well.

I have recently picked up a set of integrated jack and jack stands from Sears (Lift n' secure) that works pretty well. You insert the jackstand into the jack, raise the car on the pad designed for jacking. Once its up, you can remove the jack and the stand is automatically placed under the pad (comes with two stands). Worked well enough so I bought two sets for all for corners. IMO, it seems a bit faster, can raise each corner up incrementally to even out the loading, and I didn't have to jack under the engine. Since my car has PSS9 and lowered, the stands are about 3/4" taller then the bottom of the car so I used a conventional jack on the front pad to get the rear jackstand in to start the process.

Do you have a link to the product you're talking about? Sounds like a useful concept.

Edit:

Well I searched and it appears that Sears had some trouble with these as they are no longer available for purchase on their website.

Last edited by adam699; 03-04-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM
ccc
ccc is infamous around these parts
The sears website is down but there are some pictures and reviews at
http://reviews.sears.com/2328/00950187000P/reviews.htm

I bought the first set for $250 and towards xmas of last year, they had them for $99 with shipping so they may have discontinued them. Another website mentioned something regarding a patent dispute. Still saw a few in the stores a few weeks ago when I need some TORX sockets.

Seems like my latest search