996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OK so I am cheap! Or am I? (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adam699
I apologize if I offended you, however you implied that "Fabspeed" will not sound as trendy as a custom exhaust in many peoples ears and some will fail to see the value ...and I agree. However, believe it or not, fabricating an exhaust pipe, and a straightpipe especially is not anywhere as complicated as sending a man to the moon and back. Heck even coming up as to where to put an x pipe/ derermining how far an exhaust pulse will travel is as easy as using a wax crayon and seeing how far will it melt.

Not everyone is mechanically inclined as some of us, and generally that's what you pay for whan you buy the "out of the box" solutions, but to bash something just because it is not a name brand, in my book is plain ignorant.
I agree with you. If I seemed ignorant then I apologize. I just think that if you're gonna cheap out on a 911 Turbo then it's better to wait for a good deal in the marketplace.
Also, I have nothing against Hondas.. They're the company that got me into cars

Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adam699
I had a Honda once....actually twice...

Once i traded a CRX for an Iroc-z Camaro and the 2nd time around I got one for my ex Fiance of 4 years to drive around so she can finally get a job, but after she went on vacation to california to visit her friend, she ganked it, ran away over there and moved in with some ****** atty in beverly hills after knowing him for 4 days... I was stoopid enough to put her on tite a month earlier...cost me $22,000.00

So, in a way I'm biased against Hondas and Kalifornia
Oh was that yours? Sorry about that, look man, I'm totally done with her, you can have her back now, but she's got a little extra mileage on her...lol j/k That sux. but I'm sure you're the one laughing now and sounds like you're better off without her draining the wallet.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Damn, there are some seriously ignorant Porsche owners out there...... sheesh.

In case some of you with the cheap bashing comments haven't noticed lately, your "precious" Porsche Turbos are getting uber cheaper by the day so "regular" people can now afford them.

My God.....

And a custom, albeit cheap, exhaust is not a bad thing at all!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SXN
In the end it's your choice, but when ppl ask you what kind of exhaust you have..
I'd rather be saying fabspeed instead of something ****ty like action muffler bent up some metal for me.

Just like someone mentioned earlier.. you drive a Porsche not a honda man.
I bet you cheap out on maintaining your car too dont u? haha
You may call it cheap out, I call it using my Skills. Being an Engineer has it's rewards. You are correct in your implication though, I do most of my own maintenance, with good parts (not always OEM), especially where the engine is concerned. I would debate strongly that I take more care than any dealer's mechanic who is under a time constraint. I have no agenda just a good job. The only things I need help with at those that require special tools that only the Dealer can get.

Perhaps I do have some benchmark credentials to draw from. They may be going back a few years (I am in my 50's after all), and certainly not to brag but: Lotus S4SE, S7, Esprit MK I, II, III, IV & a V8, Healey 3k, TR4, 4A, 6 (Yes I am British ) Ferrari BB, GTS, Audi S4, 911 NA, Sunbeam Tiger to name a few, and not to mention the 45' Catermaran that I maintained completely myself for 3 years (Any Sailors out there, they will understand this one?).

This is my First "S" car so it is a bit of a challenge, and I am not the young sprite I used to be, but that never stopped me before. so I break few bits here and there, to me the maintenance and tweaking is WHY I own this CAR!

PS. Read My Sig.

SWR

Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tejoe
This post is legit but the thread starter is . If you want advice on cobbling together an exhaust system just ask.
Perhaps it was a poor choice of words but, we all need to have a little fun once in awhile. I can take the flak.

A Little update:

I spoke to the Muffler Guy again (he races hot rods I found out). To make them in SS (high quality) is where the Cost is. They want about $110 per pipe in materials alone. Then the labor to mandrill bend them which they said would be expensive and most likely he would have to send them out to do. He could do a welded solution (90* bend cut in half and welded to form an S bend). So in this case it would be worth getting them from the vendor and paying the piper so to speak. I cannot make out whether the FabSpeed pipes are welded or bent? They look like they may well be welded. Anyone got them and can tell us?

But I think I will still do a couple of sets of prototypes in Aluminized Steel to start and see how they go. $80 Fabbed Fitted for the pair. Nice OEM end caps, only I will know .

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 03-11-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I am with SWR, I want to know as much about my car as possible! I just changed my spark plugs, not because I had to do it myself, I just wanted to know what was under the hood and how this thing works. I am surprised by people who own this type of car and know nothing about it. It is just a status symbol. That is all fine and dandy, but gear heads own these cars too because they use awesome technology.

I understand some people are not mechanically inclined, but some of us are and can afford to play around with trying custom things and getting our hands dirty!

If you havent studied this car mechanically, I suggest you do and some of the newer Porsche's coming out. I mean the new variable turbos and dual clutch tips are amazing!!! That is my $.02

Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I am one of the normal people keeping an eye on 996 Turbo's. Its refreshing to know how much can be done by a mechanically minded enthusiast on these cars!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Brian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really nice
Hi Guys,

ShokWaveRider, you should already have gotten a tracking #, the cats are waiting to be picked up by my daily UPS driver.

The 100 cell's sold, don't know if he is a 6speeder...

I have another set of 100's i just found that will be getting listed today/tomorrow.

Brian

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
I am one of the normal people keeping an eye on 996 Turbo's. Its refreshing to know how much can be done by a mechanically minded enthusiast on these cars!
I would recommend getting an "S" car or an X50 if you can spring for it. It has a lot of the underpinning stuff done. I did a lot of DD on it before I decided on te "S" car. Plus I like the Brakes and the K24s. Seems to be a solid platform by all the reviews I have read. Just keep your MAF clean.

SWR

Originally Posted by Brian@Performance Outfitters
Hi Guys,

ShokWaveRider, you should already have gotten a tracking #, the cats are waiting to be picked up by my daily UPS driver.

The 100 cell's sold, don't know if he is a 6speeder...

I have another set of 100's i just found that will be getting listed today/tomorrow.

Brian
Yes, Thanks. Do you happen to have any used pipes?

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 03-11-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
microboby is infamous around these parts
Let us know the updates on your project , I had a Gallardo with straightpipes and the sound was brutal. I wonder then if I just do the 100 cel cats and straight pipes if it would be to loud.

Interesting thing but there are people that care a lot about mods. and spend a lot of money and there are a few other that are not sold by the fancy mod. companies and go for their own.

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I would almost be looking for a modified car, even an X50 car would need to be modified to fit my taste ( I am power crazed )

I would also need to straight pipe it , I need volume..lots of it..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by germeezy1
I would almost be looking for a modified car, even an X50 car would need to be modified to fit my taste ( I am power crazed )

I would also need to straight pipe it , I need volume..lots of it..
I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by dublinoh
I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
What is that white stuff in your car photo? No WOTs in that. Never seen it myself.

SWR

Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Go for it. If it gets FUBAR you can always break down and buy the Fabspeed units.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
You may call it cheap out, I call it using my Skills. Being an Engineer has it's rewards. You are correct in your implication though, I do most of my own maintenance, with good parts (not always OEM), especially where the engine is concerned. I would debate strongly that I take more care than any dealer's mechanic who is under a time constraint. I have no agenda just a good job. The only things I need help with at those that require special tools that only the Dealer can get.

Perhaps I do have some benchmark credentials to draw from. They may be going back a few years (I am in my 50's after all), and certainly not to brag but: Lotus S4SE, S7, Esprit MK I, II, III, IV & a V8, Healey 3k, TR4, 4A, 6 (Yes I am British ) Ferrari BB, GTS, Audi S4, 911 NA, Sunbeam Tiger to name a few, and not to mention the 45' Catermaran that I maintained completely myself for 3 years (Any Sailors out there, they will understand this one?).

This is my First "S" car so it is a bit of a challenge, and I am not the young sprite I used to be, but that never stopped me before. so I break few bits here and there, to me the maintenance and tweaking is WHY I own this CAR!

PS. Read My Sig.

SWR
I'm not looking to argue with you. You made a thread asking for our opinions right? so I gave you mine. It's not like I'm being rude intentionally towards you or anything. I just think that these cars deserve to have nice parts put on compared to the average tuner car out there. But hey, like I said earlier.. it's your call right? It's your car so you decide what to do with it in the end.

It's good to hear you maintain your car. I was just bugging you about that one.. but I laughed after so I didn't think you'd take it seriously. For the record, I do all of my own maintenance as well

Originally Posted by flash68
Damn, there are some seriously ignorant Porsche owners out there...... sheesh.

In case some of you with the cheap bashing comments haven't noticed lately, your "precious" Porsche Turbos are getting uber cheaper by the day so "regular" people can now afford them.

My God.....

And a custom, albeit cheap, exhaust is not a bad thing at all!
Relax man, the man asked for an opinion on a public forum and now I'm getting called ignorant for voicing it?
I can careless about what my Porsche is worth. All of my friend's cars are depreciating like crazy including mine. But we don't let that bother us. We just enjoy them for what they are. It brings us all together and we have a great time every single time we have a gathering. So if anything we are the "regular" ppl.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK so I am cheap! Or am I? (Exhaust)