996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OK so I am cheap! Or am I? (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
No your right...and its all in good fun...my thinking in regard to these issues are always do it right the first time...because it will usally save you money...and time in the long run. They may also be a safety issue...perhaps not on this but on other things we shortcut. I put a Europipe loud on my car..had it installed right...I'm happy...dont need to think any more about it..hey I don't mind saving a buck...but it is a Porsche Turbo and having your exhaust drop off at 120mph would not be a good situation...anyway..enjoy yourself...whatever you decide...
JB

Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Go for it. If it gets FUBAR you can always break down and buy the Fabspeed units.
The problem is if the welding messes up the connections, even you buy the connection pieces; they won't fit well.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SXN
I'm not looking to argue with you. You made a thread asking for our opinions right? so I gave you mine. It's good to hear you maintain your car. I was just bugging you about that one.. but I laughed after so I didn't think you'd take it seriously. For the record, I do all of my own maintenance as well
SXN:

I know, and I do understand your point, and believe it or not respect your opinion, as you say I asked for it. I would not want an inexperienced person doing anything to a car of this caliber either. You did not upset me at all, but you did prompt me to explain my case.

I do have this wierd desire to get the best deal on everything, and do not really consider it cutting corners if done right. It is not as if I cannot afford the expensive mods, it is just the principle of it, and the pleasure of doing it myself. I probably spend more time working on my cars (and my friends) than driving them, let the truth be known. In this case pristine SS pipes discolored by the heat and covered in road shmutz look the same as Aluminized steel discolored by heat and covered in road shmutz especially to the untrained eye. As long as they perform the same is the key.

In the case of a flash, I would not dream of doing it myself, even though I am an Electronic Engineer and understand the maps and code etc. I have designed Fuel Ratio, injector duty cycle and electronic boost gauges for my other cars. Email me and I can give you details, I got chastised for listing my web site in a post. There you can see what I did to the Lotus Esprit V8. Pioneered the mods on it now a lot of dealers in SoCAL use my exact designs.

All friends, no worries.

PS. Can someone tell me what the 18g in K24/18g stands for?

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 03-11-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
SXN:

I know, and I do understand your point, and believe it or not respect your opinion, as you say I asked for it. I would not want an inexperienced person doing anything to a car of this caliber either. You did not upset me at all, but you did prompt me to explain my case.

I do have this wierd desire to get the best deal on everything, and do not really consider it cutting corners if done right. It is not as if I cannot afford the expensive mods, it is just the principle of it, and the pleasure of doing it myself. I probably spend more time working on my cars (and my friends) than driving them, let the truth be known. In this case pristine SS pipes discolored by the heat and covered in road shmutz look the same as Aluminized steel discolored by heat and covered in road shmutz especially to the untrained eye. As long as they perform the same is the key.

In the case of a flash, I would not dream of doing it myself, even though I am an Electronic Engineer and understand the maps and code etc. I have designed Fuel Ratio, injector duty cycle and electronic boost gauges for my other cars. Email me and I can give you details, I got chastised for listing my web site in a post. There you can see what I did to the Lotus Esprit V8. Pioneered the mods on it now a lot of dealers in SoCAL use my exact designs.

All friends, no worries.

SWR

I think it means that you'll easily spend 18 grand on the whole setup if you go that route.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:07 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
K24/18g is one of the Protomotive software upgrades, usually on tuned TTs

Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned
jbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant futurejbracefan1977 has a brilliant future
its still beyond me why saving money is a bad thing especially if it cost you no time. Your time is the most expensive/valuable thing you own. IF you can save money and no time is wasted of yours *high five* your on the way to wealth

Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Maybe there are some others who think like me. Perhaps have some skills and can offer advice, perhaps? Why do we chat in these forums anyway? Communication and sharing of ideas. At least that is what I thought when I joined, am I wrong?

SWR
Agree. Forums let us share and learn. Not everybody will agree but that's the fun of it.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Brian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really niceBrian@Performance Outfitters is just really nice
Shokwaverider,

I have not been paid yet by the guy that beat you out on the 100 cells. If I second chance you, will you take them?

Brian

Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Brian@Performance Outfitters
Shokwaverider,

I have not been paid yet by the guy that beat you out on the 100 cells. If I second chance you, will you take them?

Brian
No I will be happy with the 200's for now. I am expecting them here on Monday. I am sure some folks on this board will want them for your reserve price.

Do you have any Pipes?

Ian

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
DAP
DAP is infamous around these parts
SXN:

SWR
K24/18Gs are hybrid turbochargers (similar to K04/RS6 hybrids on the S4). In this case, it is a Mitsubishi 18G compressor wheel in a K24 turbo housing (and K24 turbine wheel).

Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brian@Performance Outfitters
Shokwaverider,

Brian
I hate when people bamboozle you on Ebay auctions!

To the OP: Do what you want with your own car, as my brother has stated.. most things in this market are extremely overpriced.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned
jmenge is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Powell
I hate when people bamboozle you on Ebay auctions!

To the OP: Do what you want with your own car, as my brother has stated.. most things in this market are extremely overpriced.
LMAO, is bamboozle the word of the day or what? Seen it a few times

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I cannot make out whether the FabSpeed pipes are welded or bent? They look like they may well be welded. Anyone got them and can tell us?
SWR
I have a set of Fabspeed CAT bypass (hollow CATS) and Muffler bypass (straight pipes) sitting in my garage. The pipes are mandrel bent - not welded sections.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by RiA
I have a set of Fabspeed CAT bypass (hollow CATS) and Muffler bypass (straight pipes) sitting in my garage. The pipes are mandrel bent - not welded sections.

Cheers,
Rich
Thanks for the info. I just need the catback straits. They are shorter than yours. I have a sneaky feeling they are welded.

Where are those knowledgable sponsors when you need them.

SWR