996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OK so I am cheap! Or am I? (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
OK so I am cheap! Or am I? (Exhaust)

I have just purchased a pair of VERY LIGHTLY used FabSpeed CATS 200 Cell Cats, they are like NU. (I wanted to quell the noise just a little as opposed to 100 Cell Units).

OK here comes the cheap bit.

To buy the 996TT Pipes from FabSpeed is $450 + $60 + Shipping just for 2 short bits of mandrill bent stainless and a couple of clamps. I am not made of money so I thought I could get them made at my local muffler shop for $40 out of Aliminized steel like normal exhause pipes. They all discolor with heat and look the same from UNDERNEATH anyway. I can put the OEM endcaps on and no one would be no the wiser.

OK am I too Cheap?

SWR

Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I have just purchased a pair of VERY LIGHTLY used FabSpeed CATS 200 Cell Cats, they are like NU. (I wanted to quell the noise just a little as opposed to 100 Cell Units).

OK here comes the cheap bit.

To buy the 996TT Pipes from FabSpeed is $450 + $60 + Shipping just for 2 short bits of mandrill bent stainless and a couple of clamps. I am not made of money so I thought I could get them made at my local muffler shop for $40 out of Aliminized steel like normal exhause pipes. They all discolor with heat and look the same from UNDERNEATH anyway. I can put the OEM endcaps on and no one would be no the wiser.

OK am I too Cheap?

SWR
yeah you are cheap it will not be so easy to mandrel bend the pipes and you need quality stainless steel not crap, due to high heat to keep it from cracking. You might get it done for about $250, you also have to have the ends flared to match the cats for the v-band connections.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
+1, you'll need a very skillful muffler shop person to get it right. You already got a discount on the exhaust, just pay for the rest.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
Your cheap...LOL
JB

Old 03-10-2009, 04:44 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Prche951
yeah you are cheap it will not be so easy to mandrel bend the pipes and you need quality stainless steel not crap, due to high heat to keep it from cracking. You might get it done for about $250, you also have to have the ends flared to match the cats for the v-band connections.
OK So I am (Potentially) Cheap 3 :1 against so far. I do talk from Experience though. My Lotus Twin turbo had the same deal. I put Aluminized steel pipes on it. They were not mandrill bent but lasted for ages, so the cracking bit does not bother me, and I sold them with the car. The buyer did not even notice. Here is a pic. Admittedly they do not look brilliant from underneath. These do not have endcaps like the TT. They will be basically undetectable.

My Muffler shop said they can make them to fit the cats for $40 + $20 installation and clamps, Ball ends and all. OK so if that turns into $100, that is still better than $510. There must be one hell of a profit margin in this stuff. Even the Lotus parts were not that dear! Perhaps Porsche Owners are percieved to be frivolous with their cash. Heck my Ferrari parts were cheaper too.

http://impconcepts.com/esprit1badv8.htm

SWR

Attached Images   

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 03-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I like your style. Go for it.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
I'd do it Congrats on the ebay auction...i was looking at these too Wonder who got the 100 cel.

But yea, these exhausts are way overpriced. A nice stainless steel cat-back system for a Mustang is way cheaper and probably requires more metal. I guess it all has to do with the volume/demand and profit margin

Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Imolas54 is infamous around these parts
not cheap at all, just smart with your money

Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
There is an auction on ebay for Stainless exhaust pipe for $40 per 5' length. That would be enough to fabricate 5 pipes. I may buy one of those and get the muffler guy to do it. I did not ask him if he had stainless, perhaps I will when I get the cats.

If I can end up doing it for $300 vs $1999 I think that is worth it. At least it is worth a try. If I end up buying the real ones, I have not really lost much.

SWR

Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Your cheap

You drive a Porsche, not a Civic, save up and do it right.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Your cheap

You drive a Porsche, not a Civic, save up and do it right.
I know, but I would rather cut corners on something you don't see and makes no difference to performance, than a Flash or a water injection system for example.

PLUS, I get a perverse pleasure from being a renegade and doing stuff myself. I must admit at times it has actually cost me a little more, but not very often. That is the Engineer in me I suppose.

SWR

Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Banned
jmenge is infamous around these parts
Come on now. To those saying you are cheap dont listen, its an exhaust pipe for goodness sakes. Its people like you who keep the price down and reasonable for everyone else. I know many shops that could custom build you a totally stainless exhaust system for half of what I see some vendors charge. I say go for it. I have 4" aluminized piping on my diesel and I guarantee you that your exhaust will not get any hotter than it does. 4 years and no issues.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
I dont think your cheap, most the porsche market is overpriced. Its your car do what ever make you happy.
Matt

Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider

PLUS, I get a perverse pleasure from being a renegade and doing stuff myself.

SWR
Then why are you asking us?

Last edited by landjet; 03-10-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
Then why are you asking us?
Maybe there are some others who think like me. Perhaps have some skills and can offer advice, perhaps? Why do we chat in these forums anyway? Communication and sharing of ideas. At least that is what I thought when I joined, am I wrong?

SWR

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OK so I am cheap! Or am I? (Exhaust)