996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interior conversion to full race car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Tom Answered this earlier, but I'll chime in... It gets to a point where you break out the balance sheet, check to see what you'd get for the car if you sold it, look at what a used or new cupcar/ GT3 RSR runs, and then make hard decisions.

In this current market, and with the miles already on the car from "track use", and the fact that Tom has done so much to this car already to get it to where it is, I think it makes perfect sense.

You also have to realize that Tom's had this car for a long time and this gradual progression has taken place over a number of years. The gutting of the car and the cage are the final steps in the process.

Plus, he's going to have a 600WHP monster that will likely thump the competition in NASA or whichever Club/class he chooses to play in! He's removed the front drive bits, plumbed in the proper tranny cooling, got a fresh motor, and done a TON of suspension and brake upgrades. The AERO, and carbon bits he did last fall were a great start towards making it a full on race car. But the cage, roofskin, carbon doors, Lexan... Now it's a proper "Race" car.

Mike

Originally Posted by Sloth
Curious... why did you choose to convert a street car rather than going for a factory built racer like a GT3cup or RSr? I've gone both routes and will never convert a street car again.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I don't know, he's still going to be hard pressed to beat the good drivers in 997 Cups. Those sequentials are no joke. And that's definitely the cars he'll be running with. And there are some older 993 GT2's and RSR's that are crazy fast too. Plus there's always Leh in the RSR who dominates Sebring all the time. I don't know who's fast and runs NASA in Fla, but there are a few cars that run in this area that are on that level. When you get to the class that he'll be in racing, there won't be a lot of pushovers.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dez, I hear ya... But My money is on Tom Kerr! He's a determined and fearless guy in the driver's seat of that car... Remember, I've been in the passenger seat with that NUT when he's been airborn!

Mike

Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
This is a great build. I can't wait to see the final results.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sloth
Curious... why did you choose to convert a street car rather than going for a factory built racer like a GT3cup or RSr? I've gone both routes and will never convert a street car again.

thought alot about selling this car and getting a Cup car.
I have too much in this car and would loose my *** if I tried to sell it. so conversion in this market was my best option. car has a fresh engine, tranny, brakes, and suspension.

plus it is the journey!!

and I love the hp!!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Tom, did you get the C/F GT3 cup roof from Getty? It's really the best solution to go with that or GMG's CF roof panel.

I saw this thread right before the site went down and have been clicking on the 996 TT section frequently for about 12-14 hours.........

Darn Internet Brands.
getting the Getty and going to see how it looks and fits then let ya know

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by oak
yes indeed mad power!
anyone know what happened to this 996tt turned race car?

love to see this car on the track I could learn something from him!!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Dez, I hear ya... But My money is on Tom Kerr! He's a determined and fearless guy in the driver's seat of that car... Remember, I've been in the passenger seat with that NUT when he's been airborn!

Mike

Mike I appreciate the vote of confidence. and Dez is right my car will be in the fastest of the fast class. the way I look at it it will be my dream come true to run in that class against those type of cars. for me it will all be good and I will just get faster and faster.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Tom,

Will your racing bring you to Lime Rock this year?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Good Question. Tom, what is your schedule this year?

You know you have a place to stay in Atlanta, no hotel needed. 10 minutes from my doorstep to track. And 5 minutes is getting out of the subdivision.

That goes for the rest of you guys I know as well. Just let me know in advance.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
love to see this car on the track I could learn something from him!!

I like that little front splitter. Would be interested to know how effective it was.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Tom what do you use for boost control? I am finding that the stock boost controller is not as accurate as I want it to be with some overboost especially in higher gears. I've been taking it easy until I get it resolved. I'm going to uncrank the upgraded wastegates a bit and see if that helps.

BTW should I expect that cupholder assembly?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Good Question. Tom, what is your schedule this year?

You know you have a place to stay in Atlanta, no hotel needed. 10 minutes from my doorstep to track. And 5 minutes is getting out of the subdivision.

That goes for the rest of you guys I know as well. Just let me know in advance.
really appreciate that and will take you up on it hopefully soon!

John I am going to do the local PCA NASA and PBOC races first, Sebring, Moroso, Homestead, Daytona.

then I will work my way up to Road Atlanta, then VIR then maybe further!!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
ari, I have a Greddy boost controller

Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Tom,

I'd be very interested in watching you race for a day, so if you do come north, please let me know.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior conversion to full race car