996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interior conversion to full race car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Not in the car yet... will be in next few weeks... They are usually $2250 to $2500 each new from Cargraphic... manage to pic up the 2 for roughy $1000... a steal at that!... the weight saving should be huge.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
LeonL is infamous around these parts
Wow. can't wait to see more pics.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Wow, those are NICE Stevo! Are they on the car yet? Judging by what Tom says those doors would be around 45-50 lbs loss even with all the stuff in the doors?

If so, that is insane!

edit: I noticed Toms door still had windows etc. How much does the gutted stock door weigh?
thanks all for the great comments.

the non-lexan window and motor are a LARGE part of the weight.
Steven has a way to loose some door weight.

I am getting the GettyDesign Cup car doors with the lexan windows.
you will need to run your cool shirt and have a helmet with a blower but that will be my last 100 pounds off the car. also the car will then need to be trailed in an enclosed trailer only.
this project then becomes one for the not faint at heart. so pick and choose if anything looks like it may work for you. remember I have crossed the line and going full Cup car type build out and racing. no more street stuff.

this is the bridge for me before full Cup car racing in a year or two.

I am picky so I sent the roof out to be re-clear coated on the top and painted black on the bottom. should be back monday and will post pics of the install. then fire suppression and radio and transponder goes in and will be close to track ready.

Last edited by tom kerr; 04-11-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Tom,

What is it going to weigh when complete?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Tom,

What is it going to weigh when complete?
I dont know. EVERYTHING possible that can be removed has been removed. the NASA/SCCA legal cage had to go in and it is what it is.

the final weight will be in next week. I was hoping anything under 3000 pounds, but I think it will be right around there.

we will see soon.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Wow.

Will you have a means to putting a passenger seat in say for DE duty from time to time....

Jeff

Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yea, when we weighed the tubing for the cage in the Datsun, I instantly lost all hope of building a 2100# track monster. Tom your tubing looks to be either 1 5/8th or 1 3/4 inch thick. That tubing, plus the gussets and plating for the footers to tie into the firewall, rockers and rear tower easily add 150-200# back in if it gets to be a really extensive cage. Cromoly tubing is a true weight saver, but man it is so hard to work with, and you really can spend five times the coin with a pro shop doing that to save 2/3rds the weight.

Can't wait to see the final product Tom! I know it will be first rate!

Mike

Old 04-12-2009, 05:02 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
lol... you go to all the hassle taking 150 out of the car then add it back in... has to be done though!

Oakley have a Carbon Fibre Cage out (which they say is tested... still waiting TUV approval) but I don't know, I still have my doubts... I think a driver needs to feel comfortable and well protected, weight saving of 75/80% over a standard cage though.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM
just finished painting the interior....

yes the cage is heavy, it has to follow rules to race and also not get killed. it is what it is. I looked into Chromoly and really wasnt worth the time, expense, and trouble to TIG weld

the car will NOT have a passenger seat or passenger. so that should be a weight savings. even though you think the seat doesnt weigh much the brackets and everything really do weigh a ton.

I ended up with the Recaro Cup car seat I will post pics when it goes in.

that above job went from 8am till 11:30pm last night!!

the roof, firesuppression, and radio and transponder go in this week.

thanks for the input and replies.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Uniquely fabulous project, Tom. Hope I get to see it this year.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
Wow looking great!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
LeonL is infamous around these parts
I'm very impressed. How do you paint the cage in every corner? It doesn't look easy to me.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
oooooo it's getting tasty. I can't wait to see it put back together.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by LeonL
I'm very impressed. How do you paint the cage in every corner? It doesn't look easy to me.
17 hours total job.

the wiring harnesses will be put back in place now. then the fire suppression

the car is capable of a "DE" seat but I really dont see much use for it at this point.

the car is booked to race 5 events to finish out the year and there will be no DEing for her at this point. kinda like taking a Cup car to a DE?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 PM
thanks Jeremy!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior conversion to full race car