996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interior conversion to full race car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Cool Interior conversion to full race car

Well I have been chipping away at the car for years now, closer and closer to a full out race car. I have been NASA, PCA, PBOC racing also for several years with a 944.
I had to make a decision to go to a Cup car or what. that would have involved me selling the turbo.
must admit, it is close to a race car already and has a fresh engine and tranny with a huge cooler and LSD. also is RWD.
Sooooooo instead of selling the turbo and getting a cup car I decided to continue my love affair with the GT2 motor and use it as my "race car"
really car is already to go except needs to loose weight.
it currently weighs 3270 lbs with half tank of gas.
I want it below 3000 with a full cage.

I will post some pics time to time to show some stuff as this is not a common thing on this forum or with our cars as they certainly are a better street car!!

the cars interior will be completely stripped and painted. then a custom full roll cage stock tower to tower like a tube frame will be welded in.

lexan windows and the roof will be cut of and replaced with CF

also all a/c will be removed........

the transmission build out, GT2 front end conversion, and wing and bumper conversion can be seen on other threads if interested!

thanks for looking any comments good or bad or helpful or things I am not thinking about.....chime in

tom

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Good luck with the track build, and your racing career!

Jon

Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=tom kerr;2297426
it currently weighs 3270 lbs with half tank of gas.
I want it below 3000 with a full cage.

I will post some pics time to time to show some stuff as this is not a common thing on this forum or with our cars as they certainly are a better street car!!

the cars interior will be completely stripped and painted. then a custom full roll cage stock tower to tower like a tube frame will be welded in.

lexan windows and the roof will be cut of and replaced with CF

also all a/c will be removed........

thanks for looking any comments good or bad or helpful or things I am not thinking about.....chime in

tom[/QUOTE]

Tom-

Consider me subscribed. I am looking to build out a 996TT for road courses. I have already benefited from the experience of others shared on this forum. I look forward to the next update. My only suggestion thus far is for you to resize (enlarge) the last two (2) images in the first post.

Cheers

Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Tom - looks like it's going to be fun and fast.

Just be careful.

Rich

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Tom,

Your car is going to fly after you lighten it and it will be a blast to drive. Good luck with it!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
thanks guys will let ya know!!
the bottom two pics were sent to me sorry about the small size.

the roof should be off tomorrow, I will weigh it and get some good pics then.

also will try to detail the cage going in.

Vortexmotorsports specializes in this sort of thing so should be good!!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Subscribed! Can't wait to see how it turns out Tom.

Are you going to replace the dash gauges etc, and if so with what (Cup car style?)?

Also, have you thought about going sequential or an Oakley-type since it's going to be a track-only car?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Love how you go for it Tom. I'll be watching. Are they going to strip out the front trunk?

Is either of those guys in the picture Viper Bob?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Looks great Tom, can't wait to see where she ends up weight wise. I'm sure our project will get a similar treatment in the future, but for now I'm going to live vicariously through you.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tom kerr
thanks guys!! sorry about the small size.
Uhhh...Tom, don't appologize to us, appologize to your wife! But seriously wow, I can't wait to see the new CF roof. Also, what are you going to use for the Roll Cage? I believe a full Matter cage would be the lightest way to go. Are you going to go the CF Door and Fender route now that it's getting a full cage and nolonger going to be a street car?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
I like the approach can't wait to see more.

Subscribed

Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 AM
quickness402 is infamous around these parts
amazing good luck with the build

Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Good luck with it Tom. I'd seriously consider ditching the dash for a full composite dash shell. If you get that thing out and weigh it, you'll be holding a LOT of weight in your hands!

Mike

Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
Love how you go for it Tom. I'll be watching. Are they going to strip out the front trunk?

yes and no

Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by landjet

yes they are and not they arent

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior conversion to full race car