996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TT GT2 Etc. Keeping Our Engines Clean

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
996 TT GT2 Etc. Keeping Our Engines Clean

I noticed that some of you whne you show under the car engine shots that your alloy crankcase(s) are so clean. I am simply jealous as mine has brown spots on it and other discolorations. Now ther a re no oil leaks at all or anything like that. Probably left over from careless oil spills.

What is the best way to clean it up?

PRessure washer?

regards,

Ian

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM
ixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to beholdixotuckeroxi is a splendid one to behold
simple green and a brillo pad

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
There has to be an easier way!

You would never get in all the crevices wit that.

SWR

Originally Posted by ixotuckeroxi
simple green and a brillo pad

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Are you sure it's not the original cosmoline?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
Are you sure it's not the original cosmoline?
All I know is it is not shiny alloy like I have seen in some photos. A little light brown like burn't oil, but light not dark.

SWR

Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
its the cosmoline from the factory!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned
jmenge is infamous around these parts
Ok I'll ask, what is cosmoline?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
Its a grease-like chemical that prevents corrosion. Some cars have had it applied, some havent.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by soothsayer
Its a grease-like chemical that prevents corrosion. Some cars have had it applied, some havent.
Anyone got Photos? Here is what mine looks like.

SWR

Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
There is No Easy way of removing cosmoline...trust me I know...unless you pay someone to do it for you!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/107721-what-best-way-remove-cosmoline-engine.html?highlight=remove+cosmoline

Oak's car

Last edited by rolfjahn; 03-16-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Insert pics of Oak's perfectly clean engine
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have it on my car and just plan to leave it there. No reason not to just leave it save "looks" afaik. It might actually protect the metal a little too.

If I was into concour/show stuff...that is a different story and I respect that desire.

I just drive my car and would rather spend the money on tires.

Jeff

Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I am so jealous of those pics. But I do not know if it worth the effort. an here in humid florida it may actually be a good thing.

SWR

Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
VEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really nice
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Anyone got Photos? Here is what mine looks like.

SWR
You should definitely get some new headers before you clean the car. Those are stock arent they

Old 03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by VEGAS BAIL
You should definitely get some new headers before you clean the car. Those are stock arent they
They are NOT high on my list to mod.

SWR

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Oak,
I hate how clean your engine is. I'm jealous and a hater.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TT GT2 Etc. Keeping Our Engines Clean