996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust dilemna: Cargraphic Loud vs. gen 2 Fabspeed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Exhaust dilemna: Cargraphic Loud vs. gen 2 Fabspeed

Hey guys,

I currently have a CG Loud (200 cell cats) on my car now and I like the sound although it has a little drone which I've gotten used to. I now also have a gen 2 fabspeed exhaust (200 cell cat). Which one is louder and which one has less drone? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Edwin

Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Keep the Cargraphic.

The Fabspeed will be the king of drone.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Yup keep the Cargraphic. Not sure how bad the drone in a Gen II Fabspeed is (Gen I had retarded drone) but the sound alone is reason enough to keep the CG.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Oh, just noticed that its Gen 2. I only have heard the Gen. 1 which was awful in terms of drone and sound.

I would still keep the CG regardless.......its an awesome exhaust.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
I am looking for something that has less drone... but it sounds like the fabspeed gen 2 might not be my answer?

Edwin

Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Ed I have Gen II. No drone at all at 80mph in 6th gear or any other gear really for that matter.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I have a gen2 and mine does drone a lot at 65 or so in 6th. Having said that, mine at least sounds very very good. It is a moderate but is pretty loud. Much louder than a Tubi for example. Nice sound, lots of burbling and coughing when you let up. I was going to switch it out for a Tubi but had 6 different guys listen to both exhausts and the Fabspeed was a unanimous winner.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
boldis_63 is infamous around these partsboldis_63 is infamous around these parts
I have a Europipe stage 1 and installed it just short time ago. It has a little drone when cold but as soon as it's warm it's nicely silent. But when you throttle than it sounds great.
No drone at all at any highway speed.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
I am looking for something that has less drone... but it sounds like the fabspeed gen 2 might not be my answer?

Edwin
It all depends what your budget is and what kind of sound you're looking for. Any center section cross over system done right will not drone, but these tend to fall on the more expensive end. UMW, GMG and BBi's are around 5k although I believe SpeedTech has a more cost effective one now for around 3.5k. The sound has a more exotic motorsport pitch. I definitely prefer it, but to each his own

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ouncement.html

There are also several standard two canister systems that dont drone. The Fabspeed Gen III, AWE and RUF systems all dont drone as well as the both Europipe systems, but the sound is very different from a system utilizing a center section cross over.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Edwin,
I have the "quiet" version... just a little drone at around 2200 rpm... but got used to it. Here's a little info about Fabspeed exhaust...

The Supersport Gen.1 exhaust is a single canister/100 Cell catalytics exhaust system. Very loud and aggressive and makes the most horsepower.
The "quiet" Ver. 2 Maxflo Exhaust comes with 200 cell catalytics and is a two can system. This exhaust was designed for the TipTronic/Cabriolet vehicles but can also fit a 6spd. This exhaust is suitable for enthusiasts who are content with a non-aggressive sound for their twin turbo.
The Sport Gen. 3 Maxflo Exhaust is also a two can system designed to be lighter/more aggressive for the enthusiasts who have a 6spd. This system contains less internals than the Ver. 2 and makes +5hp over the Ver. 2 system.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by bmoores
Ed I have Gen II. No drone at all at 80mph in 6th gear or any other gear really for that matter.
Ben,

your's is one large muffler/canister right?

Originally Posted by $manager
I have a gen2 and mine does drone a lot at 65 or so in 6th. Having said that, mine at least sounds very very good. It is a moderate but is pretty loud. Much louder than a Tubi for example. Nice sound, lots of burbling and coughing when you let up. I was going to switch it out for a Tubi but had 6 different guys listen to both exhausts and the Fabspeed was a unanimous winner.
Thanks for the description... my CG burbles too

Originally Posted by CarNerd
It all depends what your budget is and what kind of sound you're looking for. Any center section cross over system done right will not drone, but these tend to fall on the more expensive end. UMW, GMG and BBi's are around 5k although I believe SpeedTech has a more cost effective one now for around 3.5k. The sound has a more exotic motorsport pitch. I definitely prefer it, but to each his own

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ouncement.html

There are also several standard two canister systems that dont drone. The Fabspeed Gen III, AWE and RUF systems all dont drone as well as the both Europipe systems, but the sound is very different from a system utilizing a center section cross over.
Thanks Colby. Hope you're doing well. I guess my question was between the two, which one has less drone.

Originally Posted by MY996TT
Edwin,
I have the "quiet" version... just a little drone at around 2200 rpm... but got used to it. Here's a little info about Fabspeed exhaust...

The Supersport Gen.1 exhaust is a single canister/100 Cell catalytics exhaust system. Very loud and aggressive and makes the most horsepower.
The "quiet" Ver. 2 Maxflo Exhaust comes with 200 cell catalytics and is a two can system. This exhaust was designed for the TipTronic/Cabriolet vehicles but can also fit a 6spd. This exhaust is suitable for enthusiasts who are content with a non-aggressive sound for their twin turbo.
The Sport Gen. 3 Maxflo Exhaust is also a two can system designed to be lighter/more aggressive for the enthusiasts who have a 6spd. This system contains less internals than the Ver. 2 and makes +5hp over the Ver. 2 system.
Want to sell the quiet my friend?

Edwin

Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Yep just a single canister

Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM
VEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really niceVEGAS BAIL is just really nice
Thumbs up

cargraphic all the way.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Anyone know how much HP do the Gen 2 200 cell FabSpeed Cats with Straight through pipes (Muffler Bypass) add to the stock car? That is where I am starting.

SWR

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Thanks Colby. Hope you're doing well. I guess my question was between the two, which one has less drone.
Ah, then I can't be of much help. LOL! I know the the CG definitely drones.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust dilemna: Cargraphic Loud vs. gen 2 Fabspeed