996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Will I regret buying a Tiptronic 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myfirstTT
Dr. Jitsu has it right. Buy the ride you want and then make it up to her. A 330 is not a bad car!

I just got a 996TT with tiptronic. I've always had manuals but wanted something in the city that will be more convenient as a daily driver. Figured if I go manual, I'll blow through the clutch faster, and with a tip, will wear out brake pads. (Pads are cheaper!).

That said, I have to say, I've been disappointed with the tiptronic, especially in the manual mode. The shifts are not very fast, and are not the smooth either. In full auto, it seems to shift faster and smoother. (Curious if this is a common issue or not). Do other people find teh tiptronic shifts slow?

All in all, it depends how you drive. Even though I've been disapointed with the speed of gear changes, it works really well for my daily commute in the city.

Yes, it is always common with autos that have manual mode. They are slow and cumbersome on upshifts and especially slow on downshifts. Goes for most any auto with a manual mode.

DD and better 0-60 or 1/4 mile is about all you'll get from a tip. Floats some boats, sinks others.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
www.jomashop.com

Has saved my *** many times.

I get extra 25% off coupons from them....wheneve I do I buy a bag and hide it where my wife won't find it (often at my office at work). Then, whenever I need it, out comes the bag.

Another thing I do is, every night, I sit and give her 10 minutes of my undivided attention while she blabs on about "her day". I know, I know....doing so is turture, but try and pretend that you actually give a **** that her gossipy little co-worker is a **** (actually, I do care about that, , especially if it involves details).

Remember, women keep score differently from men....everything is one or two freaking points....buy an 80K Porsche w/ a tip instead of a 6 speed, 2 points, buy her a bag, 2 points, listen to her talk about the button that fell of her shirt in a meeting, one point. Don't stare at her hot sisters' **** during Thanksgiving, 2 points.
Dr J,
You are killing me man. That is one funny post, reps for you

Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Webtool1 is infamous around these partsWebtool1 is infamous around these parts
I came out of an '03 C2 6 speed which was a great, if slightly underpowered experience. The 996TT autobox is not perfect, but it works. My opinion is that the clutch on the 996TT is not ideal either. I had real difficulty finding the engagement point and in the heavy traffic we get here, it was a no-go for me.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I will give you a link to a site that has legit high end bags (1K Fendi, Gucci, etc) for 40% off.

Everytime a spend money on the car I calculate bag money into the cost.
I almost fell out of my chair!

SMART MAN

Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
All of you are awesome, I didn't expect to get all these feedback in a day. Thanks everyone!!

While I am still a bit undecided about tip vs. manual, I am slowly pushing the C63 out of consideration. One factor my wife really hates, is losing $$ on brand new cars as she can totally see from her own 06 330i ($45k > $22k), and the AMG rides are fairly good examples from that regard. Nothing against AMG as I do love the C63, but look at all the slightly used E63 or CLS63 (all can be had for about $50k now), even the supposedly collectible-item CLK63 black series ($130k > $80k), it's scary. I did just find a slightly used C63 going for $52k/OBO. So I know I can easily lose $10k flooring this thing off the dealer lot. I tried that already with the stock market recently, I don't need to work hard finding another chance to lose $10k in 60 seconds.

If I have to come up with another $44k to replace my wife's 330i with the C63, might as well let her keep the Bimmer which she loves as she can't care less about 100 or 500hp, and I use that $44k to get a 996TT. This is getting exciting as 996TT is always a dream ride to me anyway. Though I understand I still need a bit of luck to get a good condition/year/mileage 996TT around that price.

By the way, I never budget any "handbags" whenever I buy a car. Foolish me. I should know better. You guys might be right, a new handbag has a better chance of winning a smile on her face than a mountain run in 996. And how come my wife never talk about her gossipy little co-worker who happens to be a ****? This is not right.

All I can do now is test drive one 996TT w/ Tip and see how it feels. Will look to do that tomorrow as there is a 03 available close to where I work.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by beckham23
All I can do now is test drive one 996TT w/ Tip and see how it feels. Will look to do that tomorrow as there is a 03 available close to where I work.
Just some suggestions about your test drive. You might want to drive it in "Manual" mode first, to get a feel for the responsiveness in each gear without the effect of the automatic shifting -- by moving the shift lever to the left (although using the steering wheel buttons will put it in manual mode temporarilly). In manual mode, the transmission will automaticallt downshift when slowing down, but only to 2nd gear. You will need to manually select 1st gear after you stop, otherwise from a dead stop the car will be very slow starting out in 2nd gear. In 1st gear even in manual mode, my car will automatically upshift to 2nd (but will hold high RPM's up until redline in 1st). It holds the other gears at redline without upshifts.

The automatic mode supposedly adapts to your driving style, becoming more responsive with more "aggressive" driving. The transmission defaults to starting out in 2nd gear (you can manually select 1st), but I find that my car will start from 1st gear the more rapidly I press the accelerator pedal -- but even if only for one-quarter of the pedal travel. So for me, it is the rate at which I press the pedal, not necessarily the actual pedal travel, that gets it to start in 1st gear.

Have fun!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks. I have never driven a 996TT before, big thanks for the tips.

I hate to start another thread as I am sure there are numerous out there already...am I looking at a potential money pit over here? Not in terms of modding as I am well aware of the potential, but on the maintenance side.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No, just change oil, regularly, spark plug occasionally and give it some gas and go. Once you start modding, the expense bill goes up, but not nearly as bad as other cars. Clutch (as usual) More sparg plug changes (usual) and that's about it. There aren't many major problems that arise with the TT (only 2nd gear popout which still seems very rare to me).

This is not a maintenance nightmare at all.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Beckam my man,

You are in luck as there is an absolutely cherry 996TT tip, X 50 w/ exhuast for sale on the board...the guy, I believe his name is Ken is GIVING it away for 45K.

If I had not lost my *** recently in stocks I would buy this car. OK that and I probably would get served if I bought another car.

By the way, guys, here is some more "relationship" gold.

Its called the "Yes ladder".

Me: "Sweetie, ya wanna take the GT2 out to (the newest, hottest place in town) and we can valet park (all the wife really cares about is that everyone will be giving her attention when she steps out of the car...that is ALL that matters) and I will buy you dinner and drinks?"

Her: "Sure."

Me: "Can you get a sitter for Jitsu Jr., preferrably you mom for an overnighter so we can have some quality time when we get home?"

Her: "Yes, giggle."

Me: "Excellent!!! Can you wear that hot new dress you just got, you know baby you look so sexy in that..."

Her: "Yes Baby!!!"

Me "OK!!! I will make the reservation as soon as I get her (the GT2) out of the shop."

Now of course, I just dropped 10K on bigger turbos etc., but the trick is to get her saying yes to everything (the ladder) and then just matter of factly concluding that all of the above is somehow linked to the big turbo upgrade and the now totally justified (from her point of view) 10K expenditure.

Contrast this to the usual approach: Her: "Your new Turbos cost HOW MUCH!!! Doesn't your stupid car, that you obviously love more than me already have turbos...?"

Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I knew I could learn so much from Dr Jitsu!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
ezeks is infamous around these parts
I "thought" I wanted a tip but I am dang glad I got the manual instead. I had fully planned on buying a tip car but a great deal on a manual came my way and after driving the manual car compared to the tip there was a huge difference and I am not a great manual driver.

The 63 is a fun car I thought about getting rid of a 55 series I have for one of the 63 (e) but the depreciation these days on the AMG cars is horrific so I will just drive my 55 and smile.

GL with whatever you get.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Twelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really niceTwelvz is just really nice
I've had the same dilemna as the poster. I kept one of the cars I built auto so the wife could continue to drive it. Originally I was planning on dumping my daily and get a C6 Z06 but the 996TT prices have me considering those as well. I know the wife would be happy if she could drive the car though if I'm not totally satisfied would selling a tip be a PITA?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Try 'em both... see which one you like! I was a gear jammer myself... but bought a tip! No regrets either! G/L w/your purchase!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 AM
One more question...I understand the X50 package was only available after 02 or 03...

Is 01 a "buggy" year? Again, just trying to avoid any money pit unless it's mod related. I believe this is the only place I can get real world understanding about model year I should avoid, if any, for 996tt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will I regret buying a Tiptronic 996 TT?