996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Will I regret buying a Tiptronic 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
Will I regret buying a Tiptronic 996 TT?

I have no means to start any debate about Tiptronic vs. manual, and nobody should even think about putting on that flame suit...the question is really as the title says. I know enough that it is just a traditional tiptronic that allows you to change gear, but it is not anything remotely close to a PDK. I've even heard about 0-60 is better with tiptronic, but I am not a straight 0-60 type of person.

Anyway, I am currently in the market...really comes down to 09 C63 (can't believe I actually came out very impressed after test driving a Benz) vs. 996TT which I always love. I actually think 996 still look nicer than 997, don't ask. Anyway, I've been a M3 guy, e36 (manual) > e46 (SMG), only sold my e46 3 months ago. I know I have to move on as I'm getting a bit tired of BMW.

My wife gave me the requirement that this 3rd car cannot be manual since she can't drive (she has a 06 330i auto). My other car is a 07 Mini Cooper S (manual) which I use as daily driver. As she was able to drive my M3 due to SMG, my only choice with 996TT is tiptronic.

After living in a SMG-equipped car for 4 years, and trying all my friends' e92 M3 (M-DCT) or VW R32 (DSG), traditional auto just feel like taking forever to shift. Will I regret picking up a 996TT w/ tiptronic?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I think it depends on if you want to add BIG power to the car. If so, the TIP will only handle around 650-700 WHP. Other than that, mine is a rocket right now at 550 whp. Just ask TXGOLD. I just gave him a ride 30 minutes ago and his knuckles are still white.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
My first addvice, and this is gold, is to NOT buy a car based upon what your wife wants. HUGE mistake that I have seen time and again.

That is what expensive handbags are for

I will give you a link to a site that has legit high end bags (1K Fendi, Gucci, etc) for 40% off.

Everytime a spend money on the car I calculate bag money into the cost.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I NEED that link! And I bought a tip. Shoot me.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
myfirstTT is infamous around these parts
Dr. Jitsu has it right. Buy the ride you want and then make it up to her. A 330 is not a bad car!

I just got a 996TT with tiptronic. I've always had manuals but wanted something in the city that will be more convenient as a daily driver. Figured if I go manual, I'll blow through the clutch faster, and with a tip, will wear out brake pads. (Pads are cheaper!).

That said, I have to say, I've been disappointed with the tiptronic, especially in the manual mode. The shifts are not very fast, and are not the smooth either. In full auto, it seems to shift faster and smoother. (Curious if this is a common issue or not). Do other people find teh tiptronic shifts slow?

All in all, it depends how you drive. Even though I've been disapointed with the speed of gear changes, it works really well for my daily commute in the city.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
www.jomashop.com

Has saved my *** many times.

I get extra 25% off coupons from them....wheneve I do I buy a bag and hide it where my wife won't find it (often at my office at work). Then, whenever I need it, out comes the bag.

Another thing I do is, every night, I sit and give her 10 minutes of my undivided attention while she blabs on about "her day". I know, I know....doing so is turture, but try and pretend that you actually give a **** that her gossipy little co-worker is a **** (actually, I do care about that, , especially if it involves details).

Remember, women keep score differently from men....everything is one or two freaking points....buy an 80K Porsche w/ a tip instead of a 6 speed, 2 points, buy her a bag, 2 points, listen to her talk about the button that fell of her shirt in a meeting, one point. Don't stare at her hot sisters' **** during Thanksgiving, 2 points.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Todd,

Actually, building a super high (800 plus) hp TT for straight line performance w/ a tip is not a bad idea if you are willing to drop some big money on beefing it up. Its just a matter of being willing to drop some big coin. The 997's do shift very fast.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I would also get a 6sp...but again, everyone's wants are different. If you WANT a 6sp, and then get a tip, then yes, you will regret. Same vice-versa.

Agreed on what ppl above have stated, your wife already has a nice car! She has her car, you have yours. Do you tell her that her car needs to be stick so you can enjoy it? No! She gets what she wants, you get what you want.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
If you want a manual you will regret buying the tip. I have one and like it, better choice if you drive in traffic much, and you never miss a shift. It does seem to shift slower in manual esp down shifts. But if you are hard on it and the brakes, it starts to keep up quite well. Waiting for Dr_Jitsus book on care and keeping of women.

Most women have three things in common. First they are rarely happy, second they don't know what would make them happy, and third it's a mans fault.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM
myfirstTT is infamous around these parts
Dublinoh - So if you drive it harder in manual mode, it will actually shift faster?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
i also had an m3 e46 smg and I've loved it !
the tip is not like the smg ( too bad ) but is a very good gearbox i like it very much and is very comfortable for the dd !

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by beckham23
After living in a SMG-equipped car for 4 years, and trying all my friends' e92 M3 (M-DCT) or VW R32 (DSG), traditional auto just feel like taking forever to shift. Will I regret picking up a 996TT w/ tiptronic?
The standard reply is always: "Drive on for awhile, then decide." I think based on your comments, the 996tt won't be statisfying for you. It is a traditional torque converter automatic, and supposedly not as advanced as the one in the 997tt. The faster 0-60 times for the automatic are quoted for the 997tt and not the 996tt (the 996tt 0-60 times are usually stated as slower for the automatic). Compared to the dual-clutch automated manual transmissions, the tiptronic does seem to take much longer to shift and feels less responsive.

Don't get me wrong, I think my 996tt with the automatic is a great car, but the automatic transmission is no DSG.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
My wife didn't ask me to get a Tip, but I did... thinking that she'll drive the car, but she never did. Some people complain about the shifting speed but I've never felt that way; no matter how slow it shifts, it is still faster than most people's shifting. When I got my car, she was all stock; there is a big gap between a mod TT and a stock one especially for Tips; a mod one is much much more fun.

Will I buy a Tip TT again? Yes, I will. The only regret I have is I cannot get my car to 800+ hp; but then I probably wouldn't do that with a 6speed anyway.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
The new dual clutch SMG (or dsg) is/are amazing, I have heard. I love my old school SMG although working on them is a pain.

I heard the new 370Z is awesome and the rev matching is incredible.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MY996TT
My wife didn't ask me to get a Tip, but I did... thinking that she'll drive the car, but she never did.
The above quote applies to me too! I am happy with my car, and with the automatic I don't have to worry about 2nd gear pop-out or wearing out the clutch, but a torque converter automatic will never be like the SMG, E-gear, F1, or DSG automated manual transmissions. My wife later got a MB SL550 for her (the 7-speed automatic on that car is pretty nice, but again, not an automated manual).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will I regret buying a Tiptronic 996 TT?