996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Practical Horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
revracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nicerevracer is just really nice
Like others said its all about tires. Theres some fast awd cars that hook hard from a roll. UGR's Gallardos come to mind those cars are praised for there ability to hook with upwards of 800whp and some putting down over a 1000. I see no reason with the right tire compound why a 996 TT car couldnt hook from a 40 roll with 650+whp

Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
My car is a daily driver...hmmm that is why I have almost 80K on little bluey. She can put down over 1000 to the rear as well as drive to Florida and back. I did this trip twice. LOL this does not include all the little trips to Mexico. Is my car practical? Yes, is it a daily driver? Yes, is it for everyone? No. Is it very controllable? Yes. I hope this helps.
Robert

Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Practical...please Rob, not everyone has 250K to spend on their car. Your car is an icon but hardly practcal.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL
Practical yes, affordable maybe not?
R

Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dublinoh
If I keep reading on this forum its going to cost me $1500 for a 24/18G upgrade, I just know it. Then can I stop with a 5bar and new tune? or are injectors part of the program? And 550 at the wheels then? (awd)

Yes, with 18G's, you will need injectors and 5bar to get to 550whp safely.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Its either a 5bar & no injs or a 3.8bar + injs.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
My car is a daily driver...hmmm that is why I have almost 80K on little bluey. She can put down over 1000 to the rear as well as drive to Florida and back. I did this trip twice. LOL this does not include all the little trips to Mexico. Is my car practical? Yes, is it a daily driver? Yes, is it for everyone? No. Is it very controllable? Yes. I hope this helps.
Robert
Rob,

To be practical she has to be able to break traction when flooring it at 4200 rpm in sixth gear.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Another point of reference my car was at 95% injector duty with stock injectors and a 5 bar at 505awhp at 1.2 bar (K16/16gs).
You don't want to be over 500awhp w/out at least injectors.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I drive my car HARD and I wasn't happy with my Injector DC in the mid to high 90's, thats why I have both a 5bar AND injectors. So those that say you can only have EITHER a 5bar or injectors, not really true, AND I picked up some power AT THE SAME BOOST LEVEL.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I drive my car HARD and I wasn't happy with my Injector DC in the mid to high 90's, thats why I have both a 5bar AND injectors. So those that say you can only have EITHER a 5bar or injectors, not really true, AND I picked up some power AT THE SAME BOOST LEVEL.
The injectors that are in ttboost's car (also Titans, Chris Greesn, and most EPL cars) are rated to 8 bar of pressure. Mikes car is a 1.3 bar....so max system fuel preassue is 6.3 bar. Plently of over head!

The 60lb deka injectors are rated at 6 bar. If you ran a 5 bar with the 60lb deka's anything over 1 bar would push the injector ouside of its "rated" range. We actually have seen the 60lb's fail because of this.

Running a 5 bar fpr is very possible and becoming more common on our set ups. Higher pressure leads to better atomazation and cleaner part throttle and idle control.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned
jmenge is infamous around these parts
Tony do you recommend a 5bar with your injector setup?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
You guys crack me up. I knew you'd get into it over the topic

So, the other part of my question: Any suspension setups to help hold traction? I've got a KW suspension, so it's fairly adjustable...

Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bluecuda
You guys crack me up. I knew you'd get into it over the topic

So, the other part of my question: Any suspension setups to help hold traction? I've got a KW suspension, so it's fairly adjustable...
By stating you broke the tires loose at 50 MPH in second, I assume you want to correct the straight-line acceleration issues you're having on the street. Tires will do far more than suspension for that particular problem. I suspect your suspension is set up pretty soft for street anyway which is good for weight transfer although stiffening rear bump will give more instantaneous transfer of weight when you stand on it but it won't change the total amount of weight transferred.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
It feels like the initial settings on the KW are pretty stiff. It almost feels bouncy to me. So, my plan is to have it softened a bit to improve the ride quality on the crappy streets around here!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Wow.

I am not in the same league in terms of car control. That is huge. 1000...wow.

On track, my instructor and I had trouble with so much power at a tiny 500. And he was supposedly pretty good at high HP car control. I suspect Tom Kerr is superior or Matt...but still, 500 on track is a good amount with which to get into trouble.

I am using the car for DE as much as I can afford. So, my goals are different. Right now I am saving up for seats/harness stuff...etc. One step at a time. I am low on the totem pole.

JB

Originally Posted by robmd99
Robert

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-19-2009 at 06:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Practical Horsepower