996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Practical Horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
Practical Horsepower

With everything in Texas being bigger and better, I was just pondering how much is too much. Driving in this morning I was breaking all 4 wheels loose at 50mph in 2nd gear, and started thinking about how much horsepower is really practical and usable.

So, how much is too much? Is there suspension and/or tire setups that can help apply more power to the street/track? I usually send these types of questions to Tym, but I often feel like I'm pestering him and wasting his time. He tells me I'm not, but I'm sure he thinks I'm a newb

Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I think my SCCA champion x 3 friend said it well...300hp on the street is plenty to get in trouble.

For these cars, I think 500hp is plenty. I am in a minority. It does mean I am less likely to break things....and thus I'll not run into a big expensive "boom" I hope.

At VIR more on the big straight would have been nice, but mostly suspension (and seat time) is what the car needed. It has that now. I think I had plenty of power for my needs. Probably 1.5x what I need to be honest at my skill level. I am out there to have fun. No racing in my future.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-17-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
The practical amount of HP/Tq to run on the street will be somewhat relevant to what you consider a practical tire for the street. I ran a good bit of power on the street with Nitto NT-01's (245-18 and 315-18) and didn't have much of a wheel- spinning problem. Where the impracticality comes with those tires is when you run into standing water.

I've never bothered to dyno my engine, nor do I intend to but I think my power level would be equivalent to or possibly greater than yours.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned
jmenge is infamous around these parts
I know what you mean. I used to have a lightning (basically a supercharged ford truck if you haven't seen one). I built the motor, trans, etc. etc. up to the point it was make almost 600hp/700lb to the rear wheels. You want to talk about useless power, it would go completely sideways at highway speeds with no traction control. I'm trying to avoid costly excess with this car. Being AWD i think 500ahwp or there abouts is plenty for me. Sure there will be faster cars, there always is... but I'll have more than enough hp to get into trouble and outrun 99% of the cars on the road if I were so inclined.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
The way I see it, 70hp more is about all one really ever needs (ie: I modestly always want 70hp more than I have)

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 03-17-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
In the dryer states, you could run drag radials on all four corners....or something like the NT555 RII's ( road race tire/ drag race compound) or Hoosier R6's.

I can spin them at 70 mph.....car I was recently looking at can at 90 mph...I think 4 digits is enough...but what do I know I should be in rehab for power addiction. As my signature would probably tell you

Old 03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I hook w/ 650 to the rear wheels with Nitto NT 01's, but they are death in the rain. I also have a triple carbon clutch.

Practically, for dd duties you want to stay w/ street tires, and an organic clutch w/ limits you to 550 whp. That would be a stock fuel system w/ a 5 bar, exhuast and headers and 24/18's at the most.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
The factory output from my X50 was good enough until I found this damn board.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I think around 600hp +/- 50 would be a good spot to be in. It's gotten to the point that 500hp cars are "fun" so I'd say around 550+
Can't go wrong with the more common 650hp kit cars now though

Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM
jasonfreed is infamous around these parts
Once you can spin your tires down the length of the entire straightaway on a road coarse, then, you have enough power.

J/K.

I just got my car back after installing the injectors and clutch to go with my K24/18g package and I'll tell you, I'm not sure much more power than this can be used on the street

Thanks EPL.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
My goal (and I am just starting out on this) is 550hp. I think that is ample. Should be attainable with Exhaust, WG Actuators and a 1.2 bar flash. Stock FPR should handle it or a 5bar will be added.

SWR

Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
550 at the wheels? I get confused by the queer 650 this 700 that thrown around in reference to cars that dyno 100 whp less. Lets stick w/ dyno #s.

You will never get that w/ a flash and exhuast although the new 16/16 hybrids have been getting close to 500.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
When your dealing with High HP vehicles! It's all about tires....Which tires are you using? Do you want to add power?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
550 at the wheels? I get confused by the queer 650 this 700 that thrown around in reference to cars that dyno 100 whp less. Lets stick w/ dyno #s.

You will never get that w/ a flash and exhuast although the new 16/16 hybrids have been getting close to 500.
According to Kevin I will....... I have K24s. I will also add a Water/alcohol injection system down the road, for intake cooling mostly, all my high performance cars have run so much smoother and cleaner with water injection.

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 03-17-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Shock,

If you do a hybrid compressor on the 24's you will get much more than 500.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Practical Horsepower