996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

wheel broke off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:46 AM
semih is infamous around these parts
wheel broke off

Last week I said that I had a problem with my car under braking after I had it back after a big 40000km servic done by an official dealer. My car was diving to the front and was dificult to control. I went to the dealer and did a test with his master technicien and he felt and saw the same. We went back to the dealer and he did a brake test to see if there wasn' t a brake failing. First test He saw a little difference, no major thing and the second time he did I was in shock because my back right wheel broke of the car. Every technicien came to see the car and my right wheel was pointing to the inside of the car for an angle of approx -+ 15 degree... We pushed the car to a bridge and the saw that an alaminium profile where your wheel is attached to was broken at two places . Imagine what could happen when this happend under driving. Is this normal..... Porsche was "bulletproof" ......... not for me anymore

Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
How do you use the car...to get groceries or do you track/drive it hard....?

It could have been one bad pot hole/pit/impact. A curb, etc. Happens to all cars.

Oh, cobblestones...?

Most important thing: you are ok and the dealer did the final kaboom....so it is on him to make body damage right....at least my guy here would take care of it. Good luck.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 03-21-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Pics please. Something had to go seriously wrong. I'm not even sure as to what you are describing. Show some diagrams as to what you are saying is broken. I'm really curious as to what might've caused it. This car has wheel carriers and bearings way bigger than any other car I've seen.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Maybe the dealer took the rear wheels off for engine access while servicing, and didn't tighten one of them back up properly.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 AM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Anything more complicated than an anvil can break. Sorry to hear about this, please let us know what and how it happened.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. Sorry for my english but it is my 4 th language. I don't know the right word for the piece that was broken but it is an aluminium piece and it has the form of an "boomerang" with one end going to the back wheel , one just above the turbocharger and one goes for 30 cm to the front. It's a piece that holds your wheel at his place. I never have raced the car and drive carefully. I bouht the car 3 years ago with 5500 km and have 40000 km now I still have the original brakes. and its my second set of tires . I think that this is not bad. Got the car back today and the dealer said that it was caused by an impact. I don't believe them , but I am a bit dissappointed because imagine if it broke under driving..

Old 03-21-2009, 01:03 PM
And the most annoying thing is that it happened 200 km afer a major service and they dit also a 101 point check to give me an extended porsche warranty till 25-03-10. What do they look at ???? I don't now.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
sounds like he maybe talking about the control arms?

Old 03-21-2009, 02:49 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
That's what I thought too.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by semih
And the most annoying thing is that it happened 200 km afer a major service and they dit also a 101 point check to give me an extended porsche warranty till 25-03-10. What do they look at ???? I don't now.
LoL well they certainly dont magnaflux parts of your car looking for potential failure in metal components...good thing you have that extended warranty, Not the first time I have heard of a lower rear control arm breaking.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche917
Not the first time I have heard of a lower rear control arm breaking.
Come on and help me out! Why would a lower control arm fail! We are not driving Yugos!

This is not acceptable!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM
wowgogs is infamous around these parts
someone else drove your car after the first service right??
maybe they made contact with something and didn't tell you??
is a possibilty..

Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hey . Sounds to me like the lower trailing arm. It should not look like a "boomerang". Has your car bin towed ? I have seen many parts bent/ broken when they simply throw the hook under the car and draw it tight . Toe arms mostly . Also could be done when these cars get strapped on a dyno .

Tim

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've also seen these cars jacked up at odd placed that clearly can damage components...

Aluminum control arms CAN break. But I also think the OP is talking about the rear trailing arm. Sounds like it's been resolved though... We see a fair number of wheels crack and break in the DE world. It's not unheard of that a wheel will heat cycle thru enough times and the aluminum gets brittle over time. People have no clue how HOT wheels get, especially with big brake kits generating tons of heat as the act like heat sinks! All that heat bakes everything near it...Especially the wheels!

Obviously this isn't the case with the OP...

Mike

Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
One reason I like the stock twists..they act as fans.....subtle, but a really good thing in my mind.

jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wheel broke off