996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Corner Balance...Yes or No??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:31 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
Corner Balance...Yes or No??

I'm sure this has been covered before. I have my car in the shop right now having a pump replaced and my guy told me that my setup look out of wack(I know thats very scientific)LOL Anyway we talked about doing a corner balance...about $600 versus just a alignment at $300. I dont mind spending the money if I'll see a differance...I don't track...just around the town dashes with the occasional curvey country road...
1 other thing..I'm burning thru the inside rear tires at about 6000 miles...
Any opinions???
JB

Old 03-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
that is awfully expensive for a corner balance....cb and 4 wheel alignment should only be $200-$300 at a good race shop...if you are wearing the inside rears and don't have too much neg camber then your rear toe is probably off...at those prices I would find a good race shop and get the cb/alignment done right the first time....btw...if you have it corner balanced they change the ride height to do it and you will need a 4 wheel alignment after...it is doubtfull that you will notice the difference a corner balance will make unless you track the car or the ride height is way out of wack as he said

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-21-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
$300 alignment? Shop must love you...

Gotta be a zillion shops around you for a quality CB... in fact I recall reading a thread a while ago on where to go to get a suspension set up...

GL

A

Old 03-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
My guy charged me $150 for an alignment and offered to re-scale the car for me for $350. Fortunately when he put it on the scales, he found the car to be VERY good (his words were Damn near perfect) and didn't bother charging me because he didn't touch a thing.

$600 seems a bit much.

Mike

Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Noob question time! What exactly is a corner balance and what is the process? Does the driver sit in the car during the balance? Fuel level? etc. Thanks for bearing with me!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
What you're trying to do is get the front right and left, and rear right and left corners to equally distribute the weight on the 996TT. On my V8 Datsun track car we actually slotted the mounts so we could move the drivetrain (motor and tranny) front to rear and left some slack in the measurements for the custom driveshaft so we could accomodate this...However, on a 911 you'll never get close to a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, so you'll focus on front corner to front corner, and rear corner to rear corner.

On the 996TT you want to have the approximate weight of the vehicle with you in the drivers seat with the car at about 1/2 tank of gas (what I was told by everyone I spoke with before hand).

Here's a pretty decent layman's explanation:
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=What+is+Cor...nerbalance.htm

Mike

Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
What you're trying to do is get the front right and left, and rear right and left corners to equally distribute the weight on the 996TT. On my V8 Datsun track car we actually slotted the mounts so we could move the drivetrain (motor and tranny) front to rear and left some slack in the measurements for the custom driveshaft so we could accomodate this...However, on a 911 you'll never get close to a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, so you'll focus on front corner to front corner, and rear corner to rear corner.

On the 996TT you want to have the approximate weight of the vehicle with you in the drivers seat with the car at about 1/2 tank of gas (what I was told by everyone I spoke with before hand).

Here's a pretty decent layman's explanation:
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=What+is+Cor...nerbalance.htm

Mike
Thanks! That it what I thought, just wanted to confirm...

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
On a car that will never see the track, it's probably a waste of time and money. Sounds like the OP just needs a proper alignment.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
If you DE, corner is critical. If you drive on the street, you probably won't reach the limits needed to benefit, but if you are a purist, it will be "better" ... I got my car corner balanced on it felt a tad nicer in hard turns and the alignment made the tires wear better (my goal to be honest....giving up a tiny bet of track performance in the same move....for perhaps 40% more tire life I'm guessing).

JB

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by raineycd
Thanks! That it what I thought, just wanted to confirm...
Adjustable coilover is a must in order to do CB. When I'm not in my car, the driver side is actually a little higher than the pass. side.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
On a car that will never see the track, it's probably a waste of time and money. Sounds like the OP just needs a proper alignment.
This is exactly what I was told and so I did just the alignment at well known local shop. Although I did pay $250 for it. Nice Porsche tax.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Wow, when you own a Porsche, people just wait in line to uhhh..give you some love!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
I do have PSS9 setup...but like I said I don't track..if I could save on rear tires it would be worth it though...I think I'll see if I can find a great price...I got a PM with some recommendations...if its under $300 I think its worth it...Hell...with all the crazy **** we spend money on with these cars...$300 a drop in the bucket...
JB

Old 03-22-2009, 02:50 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raineycd
Noob question time! What exactly is a corner balance and what is the process? Does the driver sit in the car during the balance? Fuel level? etc. Thanks for bearing with me!
http://undergroundautosport.wordpress.com/

My most recent post is about corner balancing a 997S with pictures. Might help understand somethings.

I charge $100 an hour to corner balance. Sometimes you nail it in an hour or 2, but I would say 2.5-3 is a good figure, and then figure the alignment after that. I like to get the corner balance as close as possible.

The corner balance is not going to save on your tires. A proper alignment will take care of that. Sounds like you might have a Toe issue.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
How are the roads in Long Beach? In Wisconsin, ten minutes on the winter beaten streets and poof...bye bye corner balance.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-22-2009 at 03:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corner Balance...Yes or No??