996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Project called B9R Under Construction...at BBi

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
The rods should be here today!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Chad, where are you at with your build? Any parts coming in? Rob, tell us more about that Tranny build. More news on the way from my side tomorrow. Cheers
The tranny had all six gear ratio changed. First and second were made longer, third, fourth, fifth and sixth were shortened. Don't remember all the gear ratio's off hand, but first was something like a 3.18-1 which with our redline takes first to about 72 mph. All gear ratios are listed in our thread in the Tuner/Modification section. All gears were made using the 28 mm width square cut teeth like the RSR tranny to add strength. One of the shafts was rifle drilled to provide additional oiling to the upper gears. All gears were friction coated and the shafts and case interior was coated to repel oil. Syncro's are steel and black carbon coated. The case was drilled for an external oil cooler and pump. A billet RSR LSD was utilized. Case was tapped for tranny oil temperature probe.

The tranny was built by Brian Copan.

Last edited by cjv; 08-04-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I just looked up the tranny ratio's and stock 6 speed and TIP ratio's.

We used the following gears from first thru sixth.

3.167:1, 1.938:1, 1.474:1, 1.174:1, 0.968:1 and 0.821:1

Stock gearing on the six speed is:

3.82:1, 2.05:1, 1.41:1, 1.12:1, 0.92:1 and 0.85:1

Stock TIP gears:

3.59:1, 2.19:1, 1.41:1, 1.00:1 and 0.83:1

Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Interesting selection. What was your motivation for this change and the resulting ratios?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Chad, you truely amaze me everytime. By the time that car is built it will be worth more than a CGT The first gear goes as high as BBi built that black 996tt with two more mph.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by ttboost
Interesting selection. What was your motivation for this change and the resulting ratios?
Brian Copan suggested those ratio's based on and motor designed for about 850 hp and a redline of 9400 rpm's. This was going back a few years ago.

The stock first gear was pretty useless. The traction was none existent and the time in first was extremely short. The 3.16-1 is very close to what is used for first in the CGT. Considering we will have over twice the hp of the CGT coming on at about 3200 rpm's ........ this should be a very useful first gear for all standing starts an I really didn't build the car for standing starts.

The stock second gear has the same issues as first but to a lesser degree.

The stock third through sixth never seemed to have enough response so we went the other direction with these gears.

In all cases the ratio's were chosen to keep the rpm's at the start of the torque curve or the sweet spot after the shift was completed.

Finally, this body style likes to "fly" depending on road and wind conditions somewhere just North of 235/240 mph. I wasn't interested in finding out exactly where. I'm going to leave that one for joetwint.

Last edited by cjv; 08-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Now I see why you are going with GTxxxx turbos Chad to hold up top

Originally Posted by cjv
Brian Copan suggested those ratio's based on and motor designed for about 850 hp and a redline of 9400 rpm's. This was going back a few years ago.

The stock first gear was pretty useless. The traction was none existent and the time in first was extremely short. The 3.16-1 is very close to what is used for first in the CGT. Considering we will have over twice the hp of the CGT coming on at about 3200 rpm's ........ this should be a very useful first gear for all standing starts an I really didn't build the car for standing starts.

The stock second gear has the same issues as first but to a lesser degree.

The stock third through sixth never seemed to have enough response so we went the other direction with these gears.

In all cases the ratio's were chosen to keep the rpm's at the start of the torque curve or the sweet spot after the shift was completed.

Finally, this body style likes to "fly" depending on road and wind conditions somewhere just North of 235/240 mph. I wasn't interested in finding out exactly where. I'm going to leave that one for joetwint.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I'm going to leave that one for joetwint.
Hey thanks.....I think?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by joetwint
Hey thanks.....I think?
Hey, I'll be right behind you on this one.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Hey, I'll be right behind you on this one.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
cjv
joe ......... I don't have a pilot's license and I'm not exactly sure where these babies take flight.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
joe ......... I don't have a pilot's license and I'm not exactly sure where these babies take flight.
Neither do I.Ya think I need one?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
cjv
If you plan on going much faster without some serious wind tunnel time and body modifications ............. yes.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Pilot, wind tunnels, aero space engineers......what is brewing up here fellas? You guys are not planning to fly to the moon right

Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Hey back in the day I was an Instructor Pilot. If that'll get me a ride in the beast I'll be happy to give you a lesson Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Project called B9R Under Construction...at BBi