996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Project called B9R Under Construction...at BBi

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
I just looked up the tranny ratio's and stock 6 speed and TIP ratio's.

We used the following gears from first thru sixth.

3.167:1, 1.938:1, 1.474:1, 1.174:1, 0.968:1 and 0.821:1

Stock gearing on the six speed is:

3.82:1, 2.05:1, 1.41:1, 1.12:1, 0.92:1 and 0.85:1

Stock TIP gears:

3.59:1, 2.19:1, 1.41:1, 1.00:1 and 0.83:1
What about the 2005 Turbo S cab tranny? Mine seems to be geared differently than other 996TT cars. How do I know, well I can only get to 124MPH in 4th gear shifting at 6400RPM.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
The tranny had all six gear ratio changed. First and second were made longer, third, fourth, fifth and sixth were shortened. Don't remember all the gear ratio's off hand, but first was something like a 3.18-1 which with our redline takes first to about 72 mph. All gear ratios are listed in our thread in the Tuner/Modification section. All gears were made using the 28 mm width square cut teeth like the RSR tranny to add strength. One of the shafts was rifle drilled to provide additional oiling to the upper gears. All gears were friction coated and the shafts and case interior was coated to repel oil. Syncro's are steel and black carbon coated. The case was drilled for an external oil cooler and pump. A billet RSR LSD was utilized. Case was tapped for tranny oil temperature probe.

The tranny was built by Brian Copan.
I like that tranny. Well engineered.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Pilot, wind tunnels, aero space engineers......what is brewing up here fellas? You guys are not planning to fly to the moon right
Art,

Joe and I have a concern about the cars becoming airborne. as in leaving the ground, after certain speeds and under less than perfect wind and road conditions.

These cars have the ability to do this before terminal velocity is attained.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I hear you and I think it is a very critical component also. Just a little head wind and difficult condition would easily do that. How about placing a few sand bags in the front

Originally Posted by cjv
Art,

Joe and I have a concern about the cars becoming airborne. as in leaving the ground, after certain speeds and under less than perfect wind and road conditions.

These cars have the ability to do this before terminal velocity is attained.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
you need to build more down force. Ruf or 9ff had a 996 turbo that hit 241 mph on a track. I am sure they worked on the down force to get it there and not fly away, but from what I remember it was not drastic. The teardrop shape of these cars is very efficient at high speed. Just increasing rake will give better downforce and something to consider.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
The teardrop shape of these cars is very efficient at high speed. Just increasing rake will give better downforce and something to consider.
Dennis,
Excellent advice!We are changing out the suspension and taking steps to do just that

Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
100% Agreed.

you need to build more down force. Ruf or 9ff had a 996 turbo that hit 241 mph on a track. I am sure they worked on the down force to get it there and not fly away, but from what I remember it was not drastic. The teardrop shape of these cars is very efficient at high speed. Just increasing rake will give better downforce and something to consider.
Great advice, we will look into this as well.

Originally Posted by joetwint
Dennis,
Excellent advice!We are changing out the suspension and taking steps to do just that

Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Take a look atthe new GT3 RSR front end. Lots of downforce.

Attached Images    
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Nice Avatar Rob, why are you going so far? At BBi there are two of them parked (996 & 997), seen them in person, go check out the sequential shifter. Just the tranny alone on that car cost over $90K. Definately a beautiful car with all the specs you'll need on track. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by robertp
Take a look atthe new GT3 RSR front end. Lots of downforce.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Joe, Art,
I think the factory std forward rake on these cars is 1 degree. not positive on this. But you guys running the mile don't have 1 degree of rake. I'd bet you are at 0 or higher because under acceleration the rear squats and the front lifts, so you have the worst of all possible conditions. At the rate your cars are accelerating that front end does not drop much.

I would be very careful about too much rake. If it was me I would drop the entire car maybe 4mm which increases downforce, then drop the front another 4mm. Doesn't seem like much, but it is at 200+mph. I do know that too much forward rake can cause the rear end to get loose and make it seem like it wants to come over and around you. I'd bet someone has done studies on this, maybe 9ff or Ruf. In fact their 241 mph 996 definitely looked forward rake to me. I'll see if I can find that article, it may talk about rake.

I have a friend who dropped the front on his viper by an inch and never installed the Racecar wing in the back, and at 215 mph he crapped his pants because he was sure his rear end was coming over him. But before he dropped the nose, his car almost got airborne. I think that if he would have dropped the nose by 10mm on his car and dropped the entire car by an additional 10, he would have been fine.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the info Dennis, we do appreciate it. Anything above 170mph is all in aero and engineering just like you stated. Betim and I have looked at the 9ff design already and are working on it as we speak. I will have a write up on this when we get close to that point. For now, let's get that damn engine in there......

Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Well the last thing I wanna see is one of you guys getting airborne. I will be there in october, whether my car is ready or not and don't want to see you guys get hurt.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Everyone seems to be ignoring the underside of these cars. The uplift here is far more of an issue lift wise in this area. I addition the track 9ff used is banked just right.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Joe, Art,
I think the factory std forward rake on these cars is 1 degree. not positive on this. But you guys running the mile don't have 1 degree of rake. I'd bet you are at 0 or higher because under acceleration the rear squats and the front lifts, so you have the worst of all possible conditions. At the rate your cars are accelerating that front end does not drop much.

I would be very careful about too much rake. If it was me I would drop the entire car maybe 4mm which increases downforce, then drop the front another 4mm. Doesn't seem like much, but it is at 200+mph. I do know that too much forward rake can cause the rear end to get loose and make it seem like it wants to come over and around you. I'd bet someone has done studies on this, maybe 9ff or Ruf. In fact their 241 mph 996 definitely looked forward rake to me. I'll see if I can find that article, it may talk about rake.

I have a friend who dropped the front on his viper by an inch and never installed the Racecar wing in the back, and at 215 mph he crapped his pants because he was sure his rear end was coming over him. But before he dropped the nose, his car almost got airborne. I think that if he would have dropped the nose by 10mm on his car and dropped the entire car by an additional 10, he would have been fine.
Thanks for the insight DennisDon't get me wrong ,on my first pass in the car (221)I noticed the car was wandering around a little up to speeds of about 180mph,which after further thought was probably due to it being in "squat " position from being under power.Nothing uncontrollable but it did require some steering input something I had never felt in the car before.After 180 it did hunker down and become planted resulting in a much more stable feeling.Todd Z and myself compared notes after his first pass in the car and his expierience was the same.My car's suspension was lowered 1" all around for the event on H&R springs.Now driving Todds 997 tt 850 was a totally different experience.Although it wasn't lowered and was at a stock ride height it was very stable throughout the entire mile,in fact,you could damn near set the presets on the radio while making a pass .Both were on the same tires.

The question becomes where(mph) does the car become front end light over 230mph.Todd did say it was just as stable at 230 as it was at 220 ,so hpoefully it doesn't become unstable at 232.Considering the stock bodied Supra ran 246 without really any aero mods,i think we are ok,but we are looking to stiffen the suspension(to help with the wandering)and giving it a slight rake as you mentioned earlier.This time I will have to make a few passes to check the operation of the chute to see how the car reacts(since i have never run a car with a chute) and will be able to gradually gradually work up to the terminal speed .

Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
Everyone seems to be ignoring the underside of these cars. The uplift here is far more of an issue lift wise in this area. I addition the track 9ff used is banked just right.

Chad, who's ignoring the underside. Lowering the car decreases the amount of air under the car which increases the air over the car ratio to air under the car which increases downforce, and I mentioned that. I agree that the underside is important. But all aspects are. I just want everyone to be safe.

Joe, if you look at the supra, take a look at it's rake. It is definitely raked more than stock. Whether it was done with suspension or larger tires in back I don't know but it has that dragster look to it.

Dennis

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Project called B9R Under Construction...at BBi