996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Project called B9R Under Construction...at BBi

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Some udpates: IC mounting is done, engine is in the car, turbo oil lines completed, fuel system completed and tested up to 100 psi with no leaks. Will start the car on Monday. We will put some miles on the car and break engine then tuning will start. We will be there for the Mile

Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Congrats Art... it's almost done. Hey, they said my car will be done on Monday as well. see you there!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Some udpates: IC mounting is done, engine is in the car, turbo oil lines completed, fuel system completed and tested up to 100 psi with no leaks. Will start the car on Monday. We will put some miles on the car and break engine then tuning will start. We will be there for the Mile
Great news!!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Big mistake. It's all in how you set those rings.

Here is how to break in a big hp motor ............ http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by cjv; 10-02-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Big mistake. It's all in how you set those rings.

Here is how to break in a big hp motor ............ http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I agree 100%. My motto is break it in like you are gonna drive it, within reason. I wouldn't take a brand new engine and immediately bounce it off the limiter, but drive it like you mean it. For example, having bought many bikes new and going to the track with them, the bikes that I bought and took to the track that weekend, ended up being the fastest bikes. The bikes that I broke in, "properly" how the dealer told me, sucked. Whenever I build a motor, I run it through 2 or 3 heat cycles, checking for leaks etc... and then go drive it like I intend to, taking care to sneak up on redline...

Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I agree 100%. My motto is break it in like you are gonna drive it, within reason. I wouldn't take a brand new engine and immediately bounce it off the limiter, but drive it like you mean it. For example, having bought many bikes new and going to the track with them, the bikes that I bought and took to the track that weekend, ended up being the fastest bikes. The bikes that I broke in, "properly" how the dealer told me, sucked. Whenever I build a motor, I run it through 2 or 3 heat cycles, checking for leaks etc... and then go drive it like I intend to, taking care to sneak up on redline...

Food for thought ........ why do you think new stock 996tt's can vary up to fifty hp when the motors are identical?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
We will leave this up to Betim & I am sure he knows what he is doing

Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
cjv
We will leave this up to Betim & I am sure he knows what he is doing

My question to you Art is, did you read it? The only reason I mentioned this is in an above post I understood you were going to drive it around to break it in.

Notice that this technique isn't "beating" on the engine, but rather taking a purposeful, methodical approach to sealing the rings. The logic to this method is sound. However, some will have a hard time with this approach, since it seems to "go against the grain".

The argument for an easy break-in is usually: "that's what the manual says" ....

Or more specifically: "there are tight parts in the engine and you might do damage or even seize it if you run it hard."

Consider this:
Due to the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, tight parts in new engines are not normal. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine clearances from the factory, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem.

The real reason ???
So why do all the owner's manuals say to take it easy for the first
thousand miles ???

This is a good question ...

Q: What is the most common cause of engine problems ???
A: Failure to: Warm the engine up completely before running it hard !!!

Q: What is the second most common cause of engine problems ???
A: An easy break in !!!

Because, when the rings don't seal well, the blow-by gasses contaminate the oil with acids and other harmful combustion by-products !!

Ironically, an "easy break in" is not at all what it seems. By trying to "protect" the engine, the exact opposite happens, as leaky rings continue to contaminate your engine oil for the rest of the life of your engine !!

Last edited by cjv; 10-02-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Chad , someone else had told me this a while back and i realy didnt beleive him , i was like .. yeah whatever... but now it makes sence.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
My question to you Art is, did you read it? The only reason I mentioned this is in an above post I understood you were going to drive it around to break it in.

Notice that this technique isn't "beating" on the engine, but rather taking a purposeful, methodical approach to sealing the rings. The logic to this method is sound. However, some will have a hard time with this approach, since it seems to "go against the grain".

The argument for an easy break-in is usually: "that's what the manual says" ....

Or more specifically: "there are tight parts in the engine and you might do damage or even seize it if you run it hard."

Consider this:
Due to the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, tight parts in new engines are not normal. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine clearances from the factory, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem.

The real reason ???
thousand miles ???

Because, when the rings don't seal well, the blow-by gasses contaminate the oil with acids and other harmful combustion by-products !!

Ironically, an "easy break in" is not at all what it seems. By trying to "protect" the engine, the exact opposite happens, as leaky rings continue to contaminate your engine oil for the rest of the life of your engine !!

This is how Akram broke my 3.8 liter in two years ago. 10000 miles later still running without any leaks or any sort.
just my 2 cents
Robert

Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes Chad I read it and it makes total sense too. At first we were thinking of breaking the motor on dyno but then.....I will keep you guys posted on my break in adventures. I do thank you for your wisdom and appreciate the honesty.

Originally Posted by cjv

Consider this:

The real reason ???
thousand miles ???

Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv

Consider this:

The real reason ???
thousand miles ???

A good friend of mine use to build sprint car racing motors for a living and the break in for the cars was 2 hours at 2000rpm to seat everything in properly, then they would run that motor to 8000 rpm's and cycle it up and down a lot. I thought, F#$K, they wear that motor down before it ever got into a car, but those motors would run forever.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:03 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Art
I have been hearing great things about your car... not just the motor but how you set up your fuel system and all those little small tricks people fail to look at when building a killer car!
Congrats
Robet

Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Doc I look forward to meet your beast in person also + Rep points for a nice guy. Check your email.

Originally Posted by robmd99
Art
I have been hearing great things about your car... not just the motor but how you set up your fuel system and all those little small tricks people fail to look at when building a killer car!
Congrats
Robet

Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Art how is the suttle secret coming along? You going to have any pictures for us soon?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Project called B9R Under Construction...at BBi