996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My First Mod: RPI GT exhaust, Agency DVs & BMC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
derm is infamous around these parts
My First Mod: RPI GT exhaust, Agency DVs & BMC

Having been driving my bone stock 996TT for a year and after driving my friend's GTR35, I finally feel that my car is not fast enough. I got my first mod done this week.

I had the RPI GT 200 cell cat exhaust, Agency DVs and a BMC.

My Impression after few days of about 100km of run:

1) Sound: it is loud and deep solid, and is exactly the tone I want. Not that type of rusty-can-knocking sound found in some of the aftermarket exhausts. At idle, it is relatively quiet and is not much louder than the stock exhaust. At high rmp, the roar is intoxicating. Yes, it is loud but is just within my tolerance. As I do not DD my TT, I want it to be as loud as I can tolerate. But if you do daily drive it, and especially if you have kids at the back seats regularly, RPI may not be a good choice for your. My TT is no longer a vaccum cleaner now and as I blast through the street , it is a head turner .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z41M9PQw3Js

2)Drone: this is one of the most concerned issue. It does drone a little bit at around 2xxx, but it is totally tolerable to me.

3) Power: the FIRST ride was a bit disappointing! At 1-2xxxrmp the throttle response was very soft and the car was very hesitant, oh my god! But my local tuner said that the ECU will actually learn and this should improve with time......I really wondered. But then, he was telling the truth, after few days of run, the throttle response is now sharp throughout the whole rmp range, thanks God! What a sweet and smart cat! At high rmp, needless to say it is "alive and angry", there is definitely a power gain. The boost is more steady and sustained with the new DVs.

4)CEL: the engine check light is on after the first run! My tuner turned it off with his duramatic and it comes back again.

.........4 months later (July2009)................with the help of Kevin(UMW) , I finally find out that the reason for the CEL is because the O2 sensor wires were mis-wired by my mechanic at the time of installation!!!
There is no more CEL now!!!!

Overall I am now very satisfied with the exhaust.

As I am going to flash it very soon, will the engine check light go away after the flash? ( I read somewhere here that this will be the case.)

Last edited by derm; 07-18-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
SweeeTT is infamous around these parts
Which tune are you planning on getting?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by SweeeTT
Which tune are you planning on getting?
Haven't decided yet. Any good suggestion? There are local dealers for FVD, REVO, PCM and GIAC here.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
You need to find out what code(s) your car is getting. Since you only changed the exhaust, maybe it is the sensors around that area.

BTW, the DVs don't help steadying or sustaining the boost, unless your old ones were bad and losing boost.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Glad you like the DV's! Get the Softronic ECU flash as they are one of the only ones who can change the values so you do not have a CEL on anymore. Not to mention the 80hp gain

Old 03-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by derm
Haven't decided yet. Any good suggestion? There are local dealers for FVD, REVO, PCM and GIAC here.
Derm,

Take it to one of the FVD Dealers that I mentioned to you. They have all of the Tuned Files for Chinese Cars ready and can up the tolerances on the O2's so that you no longer have the CEL.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank you very much guys for your help!

I forgot to mention the CEL code was "aged O2 sensor". As I never had a CEL before, I guess it is the new exhaust/200cell cat that tilts the balance.

I drive it again today, I definitely like it! It seems to be getting faster and faster, the ECU seems to be self-tunning. Is this true or is it psychological or both.
Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
jsanch21 is infamous around these parts
Hey bud! Glad youre enjoying the new pipes. I love mine...give Todd @ Protomotive a call. He's one of the best!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Here is 100K worths of advice: Get off this site and forget you ever saw 6speed before you catch the sickness....your bank account will thank you!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Your ECU will certainly re-map itself... This isn't only a psychological effect. As you drive more it will realize you're flowing more air both into and out of the motor and inturn adjust itself accordingly. The newest (and in my opinion most advanced) ECU tune out there is Todd's stuff at EVO. His software won't simply shut off your 02 sensors... and on that subject, once your oxygen sensor is replaced you should notice even better throttle response.

Enjoy your ride and be careful.... It's a vveerryy slippery slope! Drive safe and be healthy.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
RedlineMotorworks is infamous around these partsRedlineMotorworks is infamous around these parts
Simon,
I'm glad you're enjoying your exhaust and Agency Power DVs.
I'm also happy to hear you found the issue that was causing the CEL.
Let me know if I can help you out with anything else.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
+1x12 of what he said, I am almost broke

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Here is 100K worths of advice: Get off this site and forget you ever saw 6speed before you catch the sickness....your bank account will thank you!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by art4iza
+1x12 of what he said, I am almost broke
Ha Ha! The most stupid thing I did last year was having googled this site.

But I like it!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 AM
nicknec is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I have learned a tone from 6speed and read a lot of good advice here. This may be the best advice I have come across.

Thank goodness I do not always listen though!

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
996ttDMB is infamous around these parts996ttDMB is infamous around these parts
I took off my Europipe loud as it was to quiet for my taste. I replaced it with the rpi exhaust and agree with you in the fact it has a deep and nasty tone, but it is not an exhaust I would drive daily because of the 2k drone. The europipe is perfect for everyday but if yours is a weekend car I would most definetly get the RPI as it is a beautiful piece and is intoxicating.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First Mod: RPI GT exhaust, Agency DVs & BMC