996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

221.3 mph First shakedown pass of the day. TX mile EVOMS GTXXXX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
That is really amazing. Wow good job to all involved with the project and thanks to KPG for posting a comparison and saving me the time for having to Google a few cars for reference

What is the Vmax for this car? Is is gearbox or hp limited? I am just wondering because it does seem to still be going ***** out at the end of the mile.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
That was me (and my run) for a comparison

Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Joe,

Again, congrats on your record run. I also wonder if the loss of the underpan made any difference, for better or worse. If it is designed to create downforce then it would worsen drag and thus you would perform better without it. On the other hand, if said downforce lowers the height of the car, then using it could lessen overall drag and improve your result. The aero considerations are fun to think about and not at all trivial at these speeds. You have a stock 996TT body, front lip and rear wing? Did you disable the 75mph deployment of the rear wing? Do you recall if the car felt any different without the underpan?

Chris

Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I wouldn't bet on it... There are lots of aero things going on that require those pans... I'd get them back on and safety tie them in place.

I've spent some time in a windtunnel, but not specifically with a 996TT. You really want those on.

Mike

Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Joe,

Again, congrats on your record run. I also wonder if the loss of the underpan made any difference, for better or worse. If it is designed to create downforce then it would worsen drag and thus you would perform better without it. On the other hand, if said downforce lowers the height of the car, then using it could lessen overall drag and improve your result. The aero considerations are fun to think about and not at all trivial at these speeds. You have a stock 996TT body, front lip and rear wing? Did you disable the 75mph deployment of the rear wing? Do you recall if the car felt any different without the underpan?

Chris
I would think that since the pans are basically flat without a diffuser that having them off hurt our mph since the air ws allowed to grab all the surfaces(motor ,tranny ,empty tunnel where the fron diff was) under the car thus causing drag.I was really worried about grabbing air with the front diff tunnel and have it act as a parachute causing the car to get front end light.As it is it is nose up most of the way down the track when under power.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 PM
papadukes8 is infamous around these parts
wow...sick car

Old 05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I forgot about the fact that the car ran without underbody panels. I read somewhere that these panels can reduce drag by 10% when on and add about 10% drag when off. I think that is a huge difference at the speeds this car did.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I forgot about the fact that the car ran without underbody panels. I read somewhere that these panels can reduce drag by 10% when on and add about 10% drag when off. I think that is a huge difference at the speeds this car did.
Dennis...you are shameless!!! How much did Joe pay you bring back this thread?

Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Jasil is infamous around these parts
Very impressive!!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Joe's thread is back, watch out 800HP my a$$ LOL maybe at the steering wheel

Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Ahead by 3600+ views.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I don't see what the big deal is... I mean you've still got some work to do before beating that Benetton F1 car.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
I don't see what the big deal is... I mean you've still got some work to do before beating that Benetton F1 car.
Evoms has me working on that.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Evoms has me working on that.
There's always somebody faster eh? I mean ****... the guy that owns the Benetton must be really chuffed eh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 221.3 mph First shakedown pass of the day. TX mile EVOMS GTXXXX