996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good OBD2 scan tool?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 AM
supedgte is infamous around these parts
Good OBD2 scan tool?

Hi Fellas -

I'm new to the Porsche turbo world and wanted to see if anyone can give me some input as to a good OBD2 scanner.

Just something standard, nothing fancy, to read codes and maybe clear them. Looking to spend maybe $150...any suggestions? I saw autozone had some and so does amazon. Just not sure which to go with. Would be nice to plug into my wife's car when it has CEL lights too.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I'd honestly go with a Durametric. It can do all the code reading and logging at the same time!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
+1 durametric-best solution for the money (used it last night to identify a o2 sensor connection)

http://www.durametric.com/ $287

Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
But these are Porsche specific aren't they?

I would prefer to buy something like a generic code reader an autoshop might use. Just something to know what codes the car is throwing to give me direction as to the fix...and maybe to clear the code too if need be.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by supedgte

I would prefer to buy something like a generic code reader an autoshop might use. Just something to know what codes the car is throwing to give me direction as to the fix...and maybe to clear the code too if need be.
Yes-Porsche specific, but there are a alot of things to monitor, read and reset. I do not think there is a generic reader that will reset 996 codes.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
bigdubba is infamous around these partsbigdubba is infamous around these parts
This OTC code reader works on all OBD2 systems, Used it today on my 01 996TT

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1..._otc_3407.html

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !
Durametric.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
No connection but I bought a usb interface from obdpros.com. If you have a laptop, I would buy some sort of device like it that allows your computer to interface with your car. So much more powerful than a standalone reader and cheaper too since even the cheapest obd interface allows you to do what the most powerful reader would do at several hundred dollars more.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by supedgte

I have one that reads/clears P-Cars and other manufacturers codes. For the life of me I cannot remember the name, but I will respond later tonight after I take a look.

It does not data-log.

Rich

Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Old 04-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by RiA
Thanks!

Does anyone have any input as to if I need the "Elite?"

Here is the basic one - $100 (Looks like it will read/tell you code desc. and clear code)

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9175-...8693151&sr=8-7

The Elite ($240) can also do graphs...but not sure if that would help me? Would I be able to see misfires for example in real time? And would that tell me anything?

http://www.amazon.com/SPX-CP9185-Act...8693302&sr=8-1

Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Any feedback with the graphing capabilities? It's about double the price of the normal one.

It might be worth it if I can see at what RPM the car will misfire and so on so forth.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
PasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to allPasPar2 is a name known to all
Will any of the non durametric scanners above reset the airbag light on a 996?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PasPar2
Will any of the non durametric scanners above reset the airbag light on a 996?
NO...do yourself a favor and don't skimp on the scanner...get a durametric. The next best thing to PST2 or PIWIS for a lot less.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wross996TT
NO...do yourself a favor and don't skimp on the scanner...get a durametric. The next best thing to PST2 or PIWIS for a lot less.
I agree about the Durametric. The best $300 you can spend.

The only other obd-ii tool I have is DashDyno. It samples 6x faster on MY06 or newer because of CAN protocol for data aquisition. It is also a generic OBD scan tool and can clear codes. Not nearly as useful as Durametric for Porsche.

http://www.auterraweb.com/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good OBD2 scan tool?