996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SPEC clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Gunther (member here) has one in his car and I drove it... No way in hell I'd use this kit... The pedal disengagement point was at the dash, literally... Noise was JUST like the 964 LWFWs, and it's just NOT the right clutch for this car. I remember Gunther commenting last fall when he had the clutch put in how much he liked it, initially, and now it's HORRIBLE...

Steer clear...

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Like you, I had GREAT luck with the Spec Stage 3 Hyper in my modified C5. Loved that clutch kit... However, See my comments above about Gunther's K24/18G with that setup... That clutch is not very old *(I think about 6 months) and the pedal has to be let almost all the way out before it engages. It's literally at the dash before it functions properly. This may or may not be a faulty part, but I know Gunther isn't happy with it, and I damned sure couldn't heel/toe with it... Zero issues with my clutchmasters (Basically Kevin's kit), other than the slave cyclinder/accumulator issues I've had, and the kevlar sticking to the flywheel/PP once in a while...

Mike
Originally Posted by j.mitchell70
I've had great experiences with Spec clutches in the past (c5, c6, c6z06, viper). Stage III were always pretty driveable and tough. The stage IV and V were more like on/off switches however. I, like you, am shopping for a clutch setup and no offense to those that have posted here but I don't always agree with the pay more for a proven setup. Now mind you I have no problem paying for quality when its warranted but its just like the packaged turbo setups. Up to a few years ago you had to pay insane amounts for the 6,7,800 kits. When vendors like EPL and others started selling much lower priced kits I know similar conversations took place then. So I too would be very interested in seeing how a stage III disc and say a Sachs PP hold up.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by j.mitchell70
That sounds great! What hp level is your car at? I'm running a k24/18 kit so curious. Plan to be 550awhp at least. Thanks
EPL/tial 3071s and water/meth injection....my goal is >550awhp

Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Gunther (member here) has one in his car and I drove it... No way in hell I'd use this kit... The pedal disengagement point was at the dash, literally... Noise was JUST like the 964 LWFWs, and it's just NOT the right clutch for this car. I remember Gunther commenting last fall when he had the clutch put in how much he liked it, initially, and now it's HORRIBLE...

Steer clear...

Mike

My opinion is that because of the "power assist" of the 996, it makes it very difficult to "feel where and how the clutch engagement is. I'd bet that with the GT2 setup, with NO accumulator and such, the Spec clutch is more "livable"?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't know, but his "holds" the power just fine, once it grabs. The problem is where it grabs. I stalled Gunther's car 20 times when I drove it. Literally the pedal was all the way up to the last 1/4 inch before the motor would power the car forward... it was simply horrible, and there's no way I'd live with that. And on such a great package as Gunther's... Ugh!!!

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I don't know, but his "holds" the power just fine, once it grabs. The problem is where it grabs. I stalled Gunther's car 20 times when I drove it. Literally the pedal was all the way up to the last 1/4 inch before the motor would power the car forward... it was simply horrible, and there's no way I'd live with that. And on such a great package as Gunther's... Ugh!!!

Mike

I had a Sachs setup recently installed that was exactly as you describe. It was because of the "pucked" disc. My Indy stepped up and fixed it. He actually drove the car (at my request) for a few days and agreed it was unbearable. It held the power, but it let up 1/4in from the top and I stalled it EVERY time I drove it and could NOT slip it AT ALL. All we changed was the disc and the clutch is now very civilized, not like stock, but acceptable. Thats probably the ONLY think I don't like about the 996 is the clutch system. I will change it someday. I want that Big Block Camaro clutch feel...

Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM
kirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud ofkirk911tt has much to be proud of
I put a stage 3 on my car and also put a lwfw; my 2c is the clutch is a little grabby at first and the take up point high but you'll get used to it an it will slip better as you break it in. Importantly though don't get the lwfw if its a street car unless you like stalling a lot until you get the hang of it.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
I just purchased Kevin's kit. Hasn't been installed yet, but I will post after it's done. I spoken to a couple of Kevin's customers who couldn't be happier.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Ok so the SPEC stage 3+ is what they told me to buy for my street car.

What stage does Gunther have?

Audikp-does your clutch feel somewhat like a normal aggressive clutch or is it terrible to drive and grabs only at the top with no clutch slipping?

My worst nightmare is to get a clutch that was like my triple disc Supra Clutch that grabbed at the top (this is adjustable of course) and made so much noise and was a on-off switch with about 1/4 inch engagement point

Every other performance clutch I've ever driven was more drivable then the triple Supra clutch...not too stiff but very tuff to slip.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
Would converting to the gt2 setup alleviate the problems many are having with the engagement points?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I think it would help, as with the GT2 clutch you can actually feel exactly what is happening, whereas with the hydraulic assist the feedback is just not there.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
kennyjr748 is infamous around these parts
just trying to revive this thread. Looking for a clutch that drives most like stock for a car with k24/18s that sees occasional track use. This is my wife's car and I don't want to make the mistake by taking the driveability out of the car. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Installed Kevin's clutch kit about 2K miles ago...no problems and the release is about the same as stock. I get a little chatter in reverse, but it seems to be leveling out as I use it more. I need another couple thousand miles on it to make a really good assessment, but so far so good.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !

Steer clear...

Mike
The set up I have in the car now is the SPEC stage 2+. I hade the 3+ but it is a solid hub and totally undriveable on the street. At least for me. The stage 2+ was a vast improvement over the 3+ and is at least street driveable. As Mike notes the pedal feel is still a bit vague and the pedal engagement is very high. Mike if you remember I also stalled your car a time our two. After a little driving you get used to it.

I bought it becasue of the price point (Under a grand). It was less than half of the Sachs kit. It has performed well and holds the power with no problems. All said I will buy another SPEC clutch when this one wears out. I'm German and all that but the Sachs prices are just BS for such a basic item!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Gunther, i've fixed my setup. It was indeed a bad accumulator... I've also gone back to a stock exhaust with a "de-tune" and I have to say, the car doesn't feel nearly as "detuned" as I'd been concerned about... I also got to Drive Larry's car, and I must admit I was surprised when I drove it and found the sound of the EP 2Q... It wasn't as "quiet" as I'd thought it would be... Quieter than the rest I've heard, but certainly not "quiet".

There's no way I could live on the track with your clutch man. Heel/toe is impossible with that setup... That said, you may well just have a damage PP. Something to get inspected once you're settled in over there in the mother land, no?

Let me know when you're back in town and we'll hook up for some dirt bike riding!

Mike
Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SPEC clutch?