996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust Sound Level Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM
BlueRanger is infamous around these parts
Exhaust Sound Level Question?

Example:

If a stock exhaust is rated at (1) sound level and straight pipes no-cats @ (10).

What brand exhaust would you rate (sound level) Five or less.

i.e. Milltek (3)

Looking to upgrade stock exhaust for performance and only a minor bump in sound level.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The trouble with your question is that you're introducing a purely subjective rating of 1-10...and since exhaust sound is such a subjective issue to begin with...perhaps you should be looking for something more standardized....like the decible rating. For instance, if you go to the Europipe website, they rate each of their exhaust systems in terms of db ratings...taken both inside and outside of the car. You might use that as sort of a benchmark when looking at other systems. Just a suggestion....however most folks will tell you that to be truly satisfied, you need to find someone who has the system you're interested in and go listen to it. There are more than a few mufflers for sale by guys who bought them and then found they had drone, or were too loud, or not loud enough, or not the right "tone" (tone is even more subjective).

Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned
Justin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really niceJustin @ CEC is just really nice
TechArt has two systems for the 996 Turbo. The street exhaust is a little louder than factory. You can get away with hiding it with an unsuspecting person. The race exhaust is louder, but still street legal. Both are the same price with 200-cell sport cats. They both weigh the same (about half the factory weight) and free up about 20hp. The only difference is the exhaust note. I have the race exhaust in stock. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
It's generaly agreed that the EuroPipe quiet is the best match for what you're looking for.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Like Chuck said, the very best thing you can do is listen to the exhaust systems and then decide. Check for members in you area. Search

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nsidering.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html

Last edited by Onetime; 04-03-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Yes I am talking in terms of loudness not tone.

Based on my stock exhaust (1) and listening to a Straight pipe No cats set-up (10).

The only exhaust that I have been able to listen live was a Milltek and I would rate that a (3) and sounds perfect to me .

I just wanted some feedback and or other brand options from you all that have one.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
This has got to be the single most asked question on the 6 - You'll undoubtedly get the same barrage of opinions as any other thread that you can dig up with the search button... Most members will recommend the system they are running as "the perfect match for you" however it's entirely subjective. If you like the Miltek system in question but don't want to fork over the $$ that they run, look into the Fabspeed Gen III Moderate OR Quiet (cab version) - I have heard, sold and even ran almost every system out there and I currently run the Fabspeed Gen 3 Moderate for what its worth. Happy Hunting.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
I too have been searching for an ideal sound. And my head is spinning with all of the opinions on this site, all being very interesting esp when a video is posted. In the end however I agree with the previous post that I'm gonna have to seek out a few owners of different exhaust to really make a choice. I am vry concerned about my choice since I have a tiptronic. I'm looking for an exotic tune without the drone.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BlueRanger
Yes I am talking in terms of loudness not tone.

Based on my stock exhaust (1) and listening to a Straight pipe No cats set-up (10).

The only exhaust that I have been able to listen live was a Milltek and I would rate that a (3) and sounds perfect to me .

I just wanted some feedback and or other brand options from you all that have one.

Thanks!
Tough question, your 3 might be my 2 or 5. Good luck to you.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
derm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BlueRanger
Example:

If a stock exhaust is rated at (1) sound level and straight pipes no-cats @ (10).

What brand exhaust would you rate (sound level) Five or less.

i.e. Milltek (3)

Looking to upgrade stock exhaust for performance and only a minor bump in sound level.

Thanks!
Another difficulty is that, although I know what the sound level of my stock exhaust is (i.e.level 1), I have never heard a TT with straight catless pipe, I dont really know what level 10 is.
I guess my RPI is some what 7-8, loud but very deep solid and embracing.
Agree with jimmer, Eurppipe quiet seems to meet your requirement.
But I think I would rather keep my stock exhaust if I am buying an aftermarket exhaust which is only slightly louder than the stock and renders only a litttle power gain, just my 2c. They are not cheap anyway.
Happy hunting!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The decibel is also a relative value. One exhaust may be rated at 85db and the other at 88db, which doesn't seem like a lot.... A difference of 3 db points is TWICE as loud. That's basic ultrasound physics.
You are just going to have to hear as many as you can in person. Remember you get what you pay for with exhausts. One mans "throaty" is anothers head pounding drone. You also check to see what's for sale in the used parts section. You rarely see a Tubi, CG or EP for resale. Others...not so much.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I appreciate the responses....

From the research I have done it seems that the exhaust systems on the quiet side are:

EP Quiet
Miltek
Speedtech 60mm

Any others you would add to the list (quieter ones).