996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I would appreciate the REAL story on exhaust setups

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I thought of getting rid of my Europipe loud (w/ cats deleted) for a custom 3 inch.

I did not and as a result I am still on good terms w/ my neighboors. The car sounds absolutely wonderful and is only really loud when the wastegates open up which of course never happens in my neighboorhood.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My car has a switzer system that is now 1.5 years old and has probably 15k miles. No change in sound (which, to be fair, got huge kudos by the PCA instructors at VIR when you hear it on the straights....it is very gt3 like for a turbo car....).

I did the drilled out OEM system before this at that was less nice sounding (but a lot cheaper).

GMG, EP, Switzer, UMW, and the new speedtech are all very, very fine systems. Others are there too. Fabspeed has cat replacement that is easy, etc.

The switzer, at 1.5 years, is like new in terms of sound.

Jeff

Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Here's the "other" rubb... The question always gets belabored when a new "kit" hits the market... Does the system DRONE??? Many times the system will NOT initially, but over time does change and start to exhibit different characteristics... This has happened with a number of popular kits out there, and just yesterday Gunther and I were having this discussion over his Militek and my DGI, both of which are now droning.

To the manufacturers out there, if you want to make us happy, make a system that doesn't sacrifice quiet comforts of the interior for the gain in performance... There has to be a balance, and maybe the real answer IS going with the Europipe system. It seems to be the only system on the market that no one comes back to complain about a year or so later...

Mike
Great point Mike, I had not realised the the "wearing in" implications with the majority of these aftermarket exhausts.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Mike: You are right on point. Several of the guys I hang with have the Europipe system...including myself....and they never seem to "wear in". Most of the comments you see on these forums are from guys who have just installed their new exhaust systems and are enthusiastic about how it sounds. Some of those systems wear on the buyer within a month of buying them....too loud and drone which usually seems to come in around 2800-3000 rpm....which is freeway cruising speed in 6th or around town speeds in the lower gears. We seldom hear favorable comments from the folks six months or a year later....but we do see a number of the same manufacturer's systems consistently up "for sale" with comments that would indicate they are looking for something a little more sedate.

When I was looking for my TT, I drove a number of them that were just flat out unacceptable because of the drone or difficulty in being able to carry on a normal conversation in the cab. The most frequent reply was..."I can put it back to stock for you if you want".

Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well I comment about this because I was a HUGE cheerleader for the DGI Speedtech system. It was a very solid performer and honestly my situation is different than most. I tracked my car extensively and in high heat conditions and this has impacted my car's "sound". The system is much louder than it was 18 months ago when I bought it. I "hope" that isn't the case for others who took my advice when buying this particular system.

Kevin has my tuner and is going to detune the program for me until I can find an alternative system to meet my needs. Until then, I'm going to instal and OEM system and live with much less power...And a happier set of ears, and a happier wife...

Mike

Old 04-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Mike,

As you pointed out, I don't think that is typical of most users - I have not heard of this before - other than from our conversation. I have been using the same Speedtech exhaust system as you for twice as long and as a daily driver. I have probably logged a great deal more miles than you with it, too - about 25,000 miles over 2 years. The sound of my exhaust has not changed. I am pretty sure your sound change is probably the result of your track sessions and like most parts...they dont last as long when tracked hard. Also, our new cross-flow system uses stainless steel wool packing, which will not break down regardless of heat.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 04-05-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Here's the "other" rubb... The question always gets belabored when a new "kit" hits the market... Does the system DRONE??? Many times the system will NOT initially, but over time does change and start to exhibit different characteristics... This has happened with a number of popular kits out there, and just yesterday Gunther and I were having this discussion over his Militek and my DGI, both of which are now droning.

Mike
The exhausts that change sound are most likely packed with fiberglass, as opposed to stainless steel wool. For street use, the fiberglass holds up very well, but with the extended high temps seen in track sessions, I think the fiberglass "burns" and as a result, the sound can change. Again, for street use, it does not seem to be an issue.

To the manufacturers out there, if you want to make us happy, make a system that doesn't sacrifice quiet comforts of the interior for the gain in performance... There has to be a balance, and maybe the real answer IS going with the Europipe system. It seems to be the only system on the market that no one comes back to complain about a year or so later...

Mike
Watch for the SpeedTech crossflow "quiet" version. It is under development now and the results will be posted shortly .

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Only reason why I have my Switzer is for daily driving because I cannot stand the sound of straight pipe 24/7. I know I lose power, about 20-25rwhp or so, but the drone kills me on my 45min drive to work. Plus the constant fear of getting pulled over and getting a ticket sucks.

Though if I am going to the track or looking to make max HP I will put my straight pipes on. There is no doubt in my mind about that!

Really, I feel a certain loss of power and torque with straight pipes. Maybe it's the size of the turbos.

D

Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 AM
boldis_63 is infamous around these partsboldis_63 is infamous around these parts
Just for your information too..

I recently buyed a Europipe Stage I and installed it a month ago on my 996 GT2. The car has stock sw now and everything else is stock too.
To verify if I had improvements from the exhaust I run a dyno before installing the exhaust and again after installation. With my durametrics I also logged the powerruns, so I could compare even engine data of the runs.
Made naturally different runs in both configurations.
The outcome is: I didn't had any power or torque increase at all. Stock and with EP Stage 1 both dropped 400 whp down (on a MAHA braked dyno).
Interestingly driving on the road gives me the impression of having more power, but i suppose now it's just for the nicer sound...

Anyhow the EP is a great exhaust, great sound, no drone when warm (just a little around 2000rpm's) and perfect installation.
Therefore, even without any performance increase, i recommend it.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
GTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud of
Wonder why an x-pipe would make matters worse. In most cars including turbo cars, they make things better.

how many manufacturers actually test exhaust systems. I found that with some of the less restrictive systems, you loose low end power and get more on the top end. I had a large exhaust on a 500 hp Evo and when I installed smaller piping and some resonators I actually gained some low end power, the difference could be felt....

Old 04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I am not going to slam anyone.. but for the record... EP exhaust choked up on the dyno when my friend Bobby pushed the car past 620 rwhp... and he did many dyno tests over the years.... but that does not mean that it is inferior in any way.... just maybe not for everyone....
I also am aware of X type exhausts that are well over 800+ rwhp...
just my .02 cents
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
It could have a whole lot to do with the firing order, the BOXER design of the motor/heads and the exhaust pulses...

One thing I've learned is to stop questioning Kevin. Everytime I do, I end up with egg on my face...

Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
GTRking

Wonder why an x-pipe would make matters worse. In most cars including turbo cars, they make things better.

how many manufacturers actually test exhaust systems. I found that with some of the less restrictive systems, you loose low end power and get more on the top end. I had a large exhaust on a 500 hp Evo and when I installed smaller piping and some resonators I actually gained some low end power, the difference could be felt....
GT,

I think most manufacturers test their exhausts. Our Speedtech 70mm exhaust, which has extremely low restriction, posted a 42 AWHP peak gain - about 50 flywheel horsepower with increased power beginning immediately in the RPM band and reaching a 25Hp gain very quickly. It is a straight thru design - you can roll a golf ball from the tip right to the cats. We have not had a chance to dyno the new cross-flow X-cellerator design yet, but during testing with 3" piping and 100 cell cats vs. 200 cell on the 70mm - the crossflow feels much peppier, enables quicker turbo spool and sounds great - all of which are very desirable exhaust attributes. The dyno figures of our 70mm exhaust are hard to beat, but I can tell you that our test car actually feels quicker with the cross-flow system. It may be the 100 cell cats or it could be the 3" piping. It's probably a combination of the two - bottom line, IMHO the cross flow is a fantastic performing design, which produces a very desirable high end exotic sound on top of everything else. The performance is certainly light years ahead of a stock exhaust.

2022 Cayenne White

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 04-07-2009 at 01:51 AM.