996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Oil has moisture in it (frothy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
IXXI TT is infamous around these parts
Oil has moisture in it (frothy)

To my horror, doing visual inspection of car and checking all fluids... found oily froth on inside of engine oil cap (kind of a light brown with a green tint). The froth had actual little watter droplets in it. May sound silly, but I tasted the droplets to see if it was sweet, seemed to be with any taste. Car runs fine, no other issues, pressure seems a bit high. Coolant level is normal, in fact it has not changed since last visual inspection. Not moving the car one inch, until I get this figured out. Any ideas before I rush to the shop to get spanked for another hefty bill.
Thank you in advance. IXXI TT

Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Sounds like condensation. Whiteish creamy oil condensation.
Do you short trip it?
You've got to get it hot to keep this from happening.
Go for a long, spirited drive. Then look.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM
yes, i do short trip it. is there a way to check the oil in the engine, below oil cap?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Read this forum post - same problem. I think I found the problem on mine, there is a seal on the cap, that I took off and cleaned and put back on. I think you can replace te seal as well.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-oil-cap.html

Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 PM
You guys are awesome...many thanks!!!! I will try a "hot trip" and see the outcome...will post results. Prior to that, i am going to pull the oil filter and do a visual to confirm the oil is not thoroughly frothed throughout.
Again many thanks!!! Ixxi tt

Old 04-04-2009, 03:20 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
This is probably normal, just wipe the cap and watch your coolant level. Longer at temperature drives will decrease or eliminate this.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
philcr2800 is infamous around these parts
No worry. I have the same thing on a brand new 997 Carrera. The car is fine, does not even burn oil as most do.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:32 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yes, you have to get it hot enough to evaporate the condensation. Thats why Porsche doesn't want you to "warm up your car" before you drive. Start it up and go, it will warm up faster.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yes, you have to get it hot enough to evaporate the condensation. Thats why Porsche doesn't want you to "warm up your car" before you drive. Start it up and go, it will warm up faster.
I don't think moisture evaporation is the reason Porsche put that in the owner's manual.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I don't think moisture evaporation is the reason Porsche put that in the owner's manual.

OK. Seemed plausible to me. Warm up the oil and burn the h2o out of the oil before you start putting tremendous pressure on your bearings???

Old 04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally Posted by ttboost
OK. Seemed plausible to me. Warm up the oil and burn the h2o out of the oil before you start putting tremendous pressure on your bearings???
I think the "no warm up" approach by Porsche (and others) is primarily a response to the enviro guys (Greens), as they believe the idle warm up wastes gas and causes more pollution (the cats don't operate at max efficiency until they are fully warmed up).

It seems everyone focuses on the oil when considering warm up, and although the oil temperature is a very important consideration, the thermal expansion of engine components is also very important.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I think the "no warm up" approach by Porsche (and others) is primarily a response to the enviro guys (Greens), as they believe the idle warm up wastes gas and causes more pollution (the cats don't operate at max efficiency until they are fully warmed up).

It seems everyone focuses on the oil when considering warm up, and although the oil temperature is a very important consideration, the thermal expansion of engine components is also very important.

Also all plausible..
Thanks.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks to all .... Update...!!!

TO ALL THE VERY KIND PORSCHE KINSMEN,
IT WAS VERY KIND OF ALL OF YOU TO SHARE YOUR PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH ME. I TOOK THE HER OUT AND ATTEMPTED AN ITALIAN TUNE UP. SEEMED TO HAVE RESULTS, THERE WAS DEFINITE NEW MOISTURE IN UNDER THE CAP. THIS SEEMS TO BE THE BEST REMEDY EVER FOR A PROBLEM. IT DIDN'T COST ANYTHING BUT A NEW GREAT MEMORY. MY FACE STILL HURTS FROM SMILING.

AGAIN MANY THANKS!!!! IXXI TT

Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Just so you know...I dried mine about five weeks ago and checked it yesterday...it is still dry.