996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Got to drive a 24/18G car today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Got to drive a 24/18G car today...

Gunther brought his gorgious yellow Turbo down to do the brakes on it before he ships it over to Germany. Afterwards we took his car for a ride, and then mine. The cars are similar in suspension components, but different in ride height, alignment, and obviously where the power comes in.

I see the attraction some of you guys have for the 24/18G. The "hit" when the power comes on is impressive. My K16/24s don't have that hit... It's just a tad more linear... I can also tell that my car would probably give up on topend where Gunther's would still pull a tad bit further up high... Nice way to compare the setups...

Of course with Gunther's clutch issues, and my clutch issues, we could combine both and make one nice driveline!

Good to see you again man and thanks for the drive!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 04-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Mike, I guess you'll be dozing off if you get in my K16 car.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
Was the top end difference really that small? What does each car put down? Would love to see a head to head on these two setups!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Mike, at what rpm did you feel that the 24/18 finally run out of steam?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
We didn't have that kinda room to really give an indicator. Gunther's is a proto car and I think that these two would be close, but the K24/18G would probably edge the K16/24 out by a small margain on top end say at the end of the 1/4 or in a 60-130 roll... Numbers on the 1/4 mile and 60-130 list probably will confirm this.

Gunther's car is probably making similar numbers as my car (and I'm guessing here) on pump gas. UMW claims my car should be putting down somewhere around 535-550 WHEEL HP on his tune. Gunther's proto car is probably making somewhere around that and maybe 20-30HP more. It's hard to tell because his comes on later and that hit is pretty impressive. I was having serious issue with operating his clutch, so I wasn't going to chance a missed shift.

Gunther's clutch pedal rides high for engagement of the clutch, and I was stalling it alot... My car has an issue with the clutch hydraulics and unless you're good at heel/toe shifting it'll give you fits... So both Gunther and I were struggling with the whole "shifting" of each others cars...Due to the problems with that, any comparo would be impossible. I need a trans rebuild and Gunther needs a clutch replacement, simple as that.

But just stabbing the throttle on each, mine doesn't have a big "HIT"... It's just always there... The K24/18s really give you a "hit" around 4500RPMS, where they start to spool up... I like what I have and have zero interest in upgrading. I could see it would be more of a challenge driving the K24/18G on a road course due to the increased boost coming on just as you're apexing.

That said, I don't think you'd go wrong with either over the stock K16 or K24 setup.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 04-05-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Gunther's car is probably making similar numbers as my car (and I'm guessing here) on pump gas. UMW claims my car should be putting down somewhere around 535-550 WHEEL HP on his tune. Gunther's proto car is

Mike,

Any idea what dyno would that number be expected from? Btw i agree with your review, i drove a k24/18g back to back with my K16/16g car. The 18g pulls way harder on the top end >120 mph than my 16g car.

Last edited by vbmw335; 04-05-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Mike -

what fuel were you guys running?

Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
My car hasn't been dynoed and when it is, I will not post the numbers due to all the flamefests that seem to happen when anyone posts numbers. Kevin at UMW does exstensive dyno tuning with his kits and has these numbers verified on his website. I can tell you that he normally runs the cars on his dynos with the rear bumper off and with 5-6 fans running to provide proper cooling. Gunther probably got his number estimate from Todd at Protomotive... I don't believe he has dyno'ed his car either.

We were running 93 pump gas...

Mike
Originally Posted by vbmw335
Gunther's car is probably making similar numbers as my car (and I'm guessing here) on pump gas. UMW claims my car should be putting down somewhere around 535-550 WHEEL HP on his tune. Gunther's proto car is

Mike,

Any idea what dyno would that number be expected from? Btw i agree with your review, i drove a k24/18g back to back with my K16/16g car. The 18g pulls way harder on the top end >120 mph than my 16g car.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM
cactus57 has a spectacular aura aboutcactus57 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vbmw335

Mike,

vbmw335,

how did the 16/16g and the 24/18g compare 0 to 120?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:38 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I did not race the K24/18g car. Its purely a butt dyno and a reference marker as the back to back runs were done on the same road. So my car hit about the same speed as the 18g car at the same marker on the road up until 110. I also felt like the 16 g hits hard until 110 ish...then the k24/18g car takes off much much harder. Its hands down faster!

All this could be because of higher TQ numbers at early rpms of my car 540 vs low 500 ish for the 18g car. But regardless the k24/18g has a 60 WHP advantage over my car after 4500 rpm.

End of the day ...i am very impressed by the 18 g car...but i rarely drive my car faster than 120.

My guess is ...in a 60 - 120 race...the 16 g car might pull like 1 car length and then the 18g car will pull like 3 car lengths after 120. The 60-130 times prove this theory somewhat.

Last edited by vbmw335; 04-05-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Smile

Originally Posted by Mikelly
We didn't have that kinda room to really give an indicator. Gunther's is a proto car and I think that these two would be close, but the K24/18G would probably edge the K16/24 out by a small margain on top end say at the end of the 1/4 or in a 60-130 roll... Numbers on the 1/4 mile and 60-130 list probably will confirm this.

Gunther's car is probably making similar numbers as my car (and I'm guessing here) on pump gas. UMW claims my car should be putting down somewhere around 535-550 WHEEL HP on his tune. Gunther's proto car is probably making somewhere around that and maybe 20-30HP more. It's hard to tell because his comes on later and that hit is pretty impressive. I was having serious issue with operating his clutch, so I wasn't going to chance a missed shift.

Gunther's clutch pedal rides high for engagement of the clutch, and I was stalling it alot... My car has an issue with the clutch hydraulics and unless you're good at heel/toe shifting it'll give you fits... So both Gunther and I were struggling with the whole "shifting" of each others cars...Due to the problems with that, any comparo would be impossible. I need a trans rebuild and Gunther needs a clutch replacement, simple as that.

But just stabbing the throttle on each, mine doesn't have a big "HIT"... It's just always there... The K24/18s really give you a "hit" around 4500RPMS, where they start to spool up... I like what I have and have zero interest in upgrading. I could see it would be more of a challenge driving the K24/18G on a road course due to the increased boost coming on just as you're apexing.

That said, I don't think you'd go wrong with either over the stock K16 or K24 setup.

Mike
Nice write up.
I have tracked my car extensively with both stock K16's (chipped), and with Proto K24/18g set-up. The larger turbo set-up works well and I find
it is more linear in feel for road racing on LOW BOOST (I will just run 1.0 bar at the track). Just another opinion/perspective.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
My car hasn't been dynoed and when it is, I will not post the numbers due to all the flamefests that seem to happen when anyone posts numbers. Kevin at UMW does exstensive dyno tuning with his kits and has these numbers verified on his website. I can tell you that he normally runs the cars on his dynos with the rear bumper off and with 5-6 fans running to provide proper cooling. Gunther probably got his number estimate from Todd at Protomotive... I don't believe he has dyno'ed his car either.

We were running 93 pump gas...

Mike
It's interesting that Kevin from UMW describes both the 24/16 and the 24/18G as "old technology", it makes you wonder how they would compare to his newier turbos.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Nice write up.
I have tracked my car extensively with both stock K16's (chipped), and with Proto K24/18g set-up. The larger turbo set-up works well and I find
it is more linear in feel for road racing on LOW BOOST (I will just run 1.0 bar at the track). Just another opinion/perspective.
Good point Marty... It's not so much of how/what these set ups are capable of on 100 octane, if the weather is right and yadda yadda but more of how they perform and under everyday conditions that we run them. Far more important.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Exactly... We were running 93 octane pump gas and it was in the 70s temps wise... We "should" have run them heads up, but honestly the clutch hydraulics issue in my K16/24 car are sketchy and the issue with Gunther's high riding clutch pedeal concern me as well...

It was nice to drive his car. His car gave a sensation of "power" when the turbos came on. Mine is more linear, and that's about all I can say on the subject...

Mike

Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
what is kevins UMW website address? I would like to find out what he can put together for my tiptronic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got to drive a 24/18G car today...