996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch pedal vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Clutch pedal vibration

Firstly, clutch is fine and I've just had master and slave cylinder changed. However, I am wondering if anyone else has this? If I drive cruising, on the hightway, let’s say 3K rpm and if I depress the clutch whilst still softly on the throttle, I can feel slight (very, very slight vibration nearly unperceivable but it’s there) in the first ½ inch of clutch travel of the pedal. If I depress the clutch with no throttle there is no vibration. It’s like a little bit of a tranny vibration feeding back onto the pedal when on gas. Normal? Anyone felt this?

Last edited by Terminator; 04-05-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I feel it when I am getting on it around WOT and high rpms... Not sure on lower rpms.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
yep... I feel it too... always have... between 3500 and 5000 rpm. i just had the clutch slave and accumulator replaced... still have it.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I had this exact same issue and wrote it up sometime back. I had several indies as well as a Porsche dealership and other P car guys drive it....almost universal consensus was that it is the fingers on the pressure plate that create a slight but high frequency vibration as you barely depress the clutch....you feel it in the ball of your foot...almost like a buzz. It drove me nuts....then I finally wore out my clutch about three weeks after I got the UMW flash and went to the beefier Sachs GT2 setup and I dont' have the vibration any more. Although it seems hard to accept....because any vibration is usually cause for concern....but it's normal for some cars. The vibration had nothing to do with the clutch going out...it was the increased power from the flash with 34K miles on the clock that did it...

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I had this exact same issue and wrote it up sometime back. I had several indies as well as a Porsche dealership and other P car guys drive it....almost universal consensus was that it is the fingers on the pressure plate that create a slight but high frequency vibration as you barely depress the clutch....you feel it in the ball of your foot...almost like a buzz. It drove me nuts....then I finally wore out my clutch about three weeks after I got the UMW flash and went to the beefier Sachs GT2 setup and I dont' have the vibration any more. Although it seems hard to accept....because any vibration is usually cause for concern....but it's normal for some cars. The vibration had nothing to do with the clutch going out...it was the increased power from the flash with 34K miles on the clock that did it...
Tell us more about Sachs GT2 setup performance/clutch feel/cost versus stock. Have you kept master and slave cylinders?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Since I've dealt with UMW for most of my upgrades, I also went to Kevin for the clutch upgrade. When he initially flashed my TT, he suggested that I also upgrade the clutch....but in my inimitable wisdom, I figured the suggestion wasn't warranted because my clutch was working just fine, and I didn't need to spend more money. Well it did work just fine for about three weeks, and I'm not a hard launcher or tracker....but the flash generated more power than the stock clutch could handle....so I went to Kevin's upgrade which he recommended in the first place. (This could be a good place to digress to a discussion on how modding your car can end up voiding a warranty, but that's going on in another forum). In answer to your question, earlier I replaced the accumulator when the clutch pedal began to get stiffer...but I kept the original slave in place, even tho guys will recommend you change out both. I didn't change out anything when I upgraded the clutch. I've not heard of any reason to do so unless perhaps you're tracking the car and want fresh parts as well as the usual "since you're in there" logic. My car is strictly a DD and street car...that I like to push at a periodic DE day or some time in the twisties.

There's not much to tell you about because it's the standard GT2 clutch plate combined with a refurbished dual mass flywheel. I opted to go to the refurbished dual mass flywheel to save a bit of money. Kevin recommeded the lightweight flywheel, but I chose to save a few $$$ and keep the dual mass setup. If you need more specifics, I guess I'd simply refer you to Kevin or any other vendor of your choice for your Sachs upgrade....but the "buzz" is gone, which truthfully could have been related to a throwout bearing or just like most of the guys said...those fingers on the pressure plate. I would say that unless your car is manifesting other idiosyncracies, like slipping clutch, burning smell, grinding noise, or increased vibration....I'd leave it alone...but it did bug me to no end. I think that P car guys have a tendency to panic the moment something slightly out of the ordinary comes up.....sort of like wanting brain surgery because we get a head ache.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-06-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Since I've dealt with UMW for most of my upgrades, I also went to Kevin for the clutch upgrade. When he initially flashed my TT, he suggested that I also upgrade the clutch....but in my inimitable wisdom, I figured the suggestion wasn't warranted because my clutch was working just fine, and I didn't need to spend more money. Well it did work just fine for about three weeks, and I'm not a hard launcher or tracker....but the flash generated more power than the stock clutch could handle....so I went to Kevin's upgrade which he recommended in the first place. (This could be a good place to digress to a discussion on how modding your car can end up voiding a warranty, but that's going on in another forum). In answer to your question, earlier I replaced the accumulator when the clutch pedal began to get stiffer...but I kept the original slave in place, even tho guys will recommend you change out both. I didn't change out anything when I upgraded the clutch. I've not heard of any reason to do so unless perhaps you're tracking the car and want fresh parts as well as the usual "since you're in there" logic. My car is strictly a DD and street car...that I like to push at a periodic DE day or some time in the twisties.

There's not much to tell you about because it's the standard GT2 clutch plate combined with a refurbished dual mass flywheel. I opted to go to the refurbished dual mass flywheel to save a bit of money. Kevin recommeded the lightweight flywheel, but I chose to save a few $$$ and keep the dual mass setup. If you need more specifics, I guess I'd simply refer you to Kevin or any other vendor of your choice for your Sachs upgrade....but the "buzz" is gone, which truthfully could have been related to a throwout bearing or just like most of the guys said...those fingers on the pressure plate. I would say that unless your car is manifesting other idiosyncracies, like slipping clutch, burning smell, grinding noise, or increased vibration....I'd leave it alone...but it did bug me to no end. I think that P car guys have a tendency to panic the moment something slightly out of the ordinary comes up.....sort of like wanting brain surgery because we get a head ache.
Thanks mate. And I agree with your last statement. :-). That's whay I check here (great forum) and then leave at alone and say that's the way it is - sod it. . Thanks again. When clutch needs replacing I will consider your setup.