996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K24/18g discussion and questions, appreciate your help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Q8-996TT is infamous around these parts
K24/18g discussion and questions, appreciate your help

I would like to know what exactly is the upgrade on the K24s(stock ones) that makes the K24/18gs? is protomotive the only company offering this upgrade? because i saw on other websites k24/18gs or is this the name of any company upgrading the K24s? what is exactly needed with the k24/18gs upgrade id like to know all other things required, do i have to install a boost controller ? what exact horsepower does it give on a tip 996 turbo? is it ok to go 2wd on a 996TT tip?( to have more efficiency in power) whats the best ECU tuning would be for a k24/18g setup is it proto all the way or there are better companies? how about setting a k24/18g turbos and ECU tuning without a exhaust system? you can go into different stages with k24/18g setup?

I really appreciate your help guys and sorry for all of these questions

Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 AM
halluz is infamous around these parts
I don't know the answers to all of your questions but I'm sure a forum search would turn up the answer to quite a few of these. Don't take all this as fact because I could be wrong. Here's what I have...

Originally Posted by Q8-996TT
I would like to know what exactly is the upgrade on the K24s(stock ones) that makes the K24/18gs?
I believe the difference between the k24/18g is a compressor upgrade. Most are Borg Warner K24's that have been upgrade by Blouch.

is protomotive the only company offering this upgrade?
No - multiple tuners offer tunes for k24/18g setups. I know EPL makes a tune for them also. I'm sure there are others.

how about setting a k24/18g turbos and ECU tuning without a exhaust system?
Every tuner I spoke to would certainly recommend against doing that. You'll need larger exhaust to realize all the benefits of the upgraded turbos and tune.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:02 AM
thanks for your information

Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Many do upgrade besides Blouch. Blouch do the actual turbo upgrade for themselves(ie their own direct customers) and also in the wholesale senne for other aftermarket sellers.
In doing turbo upgrade you need to do program upgrade and other detail things to get the performance from the new upgraded turbo.
My strong advice is to got to someone like Protomotive and follow the advice given-- and not listen to too many urging a bit here and a bit there.The dollars spent with one provider will get you the best result--and their attention!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I'm running this setup on my tip. Call Dan at Vivid Racing and tell him you want The "BlackHorseTurbo" special. Then call Ian at Evoms and buy the upgraded torque converter.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I think you really need to include an exhaust when upgrading your turbos to K24/18g.

It's perfectly safe to go 2wd.

You don't need a boost controller. It's fine to run on the wastegates although if you ever intend to run race gas you're limiting yourself.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
at what HP level is a new converter needed?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Where can I go read/learn about the differences (and nomenclature) for turbos e.g. K24 or K16 or 18g? what does these numbers and letters mean?

Total noob question but appreciate the help.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
I'm running this setup on my tip. Call Dan at Vivid Racing and tell him you want The "BlackHorseTurbo" special. Then call Ian at Evoms and buy the upgraded torque converter.
the upgraded torque converter is to go 2wd for more safety? if yes, what would happen without using it ?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
the upgraded torque converter is to go 2wd for more safety? if yes, what would happen without using it ?
The torque converter has a hard time with 550 HP. 4wd or 2wd. Doesn't matter. If you don't upgrade, you will eventually ruin your stock converter.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
The torque converter has a hard time with 550 HP. 4wd or 2wd. Doesn't matter. If you don't upgrade, you will eventually ruin your stock converter.
oh ok thanks got wat u mean , is it complicated going 2 wheel ? any parts needed? ehat is exactly done?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
oh ok thanks got wat u mean , is it complicated going 2 wheel ? any parts needed? ehat is exactly done?
Not complicated at all. Just have all of the parts removed from the front drive. No CEL's, no problems with ABS. No parts needed.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Not complicated at all. Just have all of the parts removed from the front drive. No CEL's, no problems with ABS. No parts needed.
thanks alot for your help man , i really appreciate it ! btw what cars u killed with ur 996tt on your mods now?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 PM
thanks alot for your help man , i really appreciate it ! btw what cars u killed with ur 996tt on your mods now?
Everything that I've raced. Though I'm very careful who I pick on.. Just ask Bmoores, PrecisionPorsche, TXGold.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Everything that I've raced. Though I'm very careful who I pick on.. Just ask Bmoores, PrecisionPorsche, TXGold.
hehehe what cars? u tried racing c6z06 either with mods or without? 997 turbos? lambos?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K24/18g discussion and questions, appreciate your help