996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:44 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
I suppose the way you do it prevents excessive wear on the clutch if you happen to take your time bringing the revs up before you put the car in gear.
Yes. Think you want to rev the engine and the transfer gears together. Otherwise, you may be wearing the clutch out.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
collin, I agree on all accounts about it being tough to find the right gear. With my 5-speed 911 I find it much easier to find the right cog than with my 6-speed MINI.
Yea, can you imagine what it's like to drive an 18-speed semi with no synchros? Those guys do double/triple-clutching on any grade. Try missing a gear in an 18-speed box. Ouch!

Old 10-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Zamirz. What you were doing by not revving the engine with the clutch out basically you could achieve the same thing with the single clutch downshift

Old 10-08-2004, 05:58 AM
How about the tipsters?

Hey, how bout you tipsters? Do you blip the thottle when you downshift? I find it to be smoother if I do blip the gas a bit even when I downshift in a tip. I tried it in a loaner boxster. Not sure if it's a good thing for the tranny.

Old 10-08-2004, 05:58 AM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
I use to double clutch my MGB all the time. It had a bad syncro, and that was the perfect way to drop it into second gear.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Turbo Ron
I use to double clutch my MGB all the time. It had a bad syncro, and that was the perfect way to drop it into second gear.
Cool. Those were the days. I used to do it in a Fiat 124 Sport, Triumph Spitfire and TR4

Old 10-08-2004, 06:10 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
i heal and toe like no other

Old 10-08-2004, 06:18 AM
ttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura aboutttgangsta has a spectacular aura about
Re: How about the tipsters?

Originally posted by collin996tt
Hey, how bout you tipsters? Do you blip the thottle when you downshift? I find it to be smoother if I do blip the gas a bit even when I downshift in a tip. I tried it in a loaner boxster. Not sure if it's a good thing for the tranny.
I do all kinds of stuff with my audi Tip. When I downshift i always blurp the throttle because I engine brake a lot. Also a trick I learned is if you accelerate then when you shift take depress the peddle a little bit then gun it and it will accelerate all the way through the shift seemlessly as if its all one gear. There are a few other things but i cant explain them.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
Here you go Matt...

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html
this article is expalining it just like I did, only better. If you are using the outside of the top of your foot (where your toes are) to blip the throttle, there is no benefit of this vs using your heel instead. Either way is sufficient.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:03 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Life Dies
You'll need to find the perfect amout of blip-time for each downshift before you master it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes and when you are a Pedal Dancing Master.
Exactly...being in tune with the revs and wheel speed (Matching them) in the various gears is the key and the hardest part. You really need to know your car...Still work in progress for me.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:06 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Matt Fresh
this article is expalining it just like I did, only better. If you are using the outside of the top of your foot (where your toes are) to blip the throttle, there is no benefit of this vs using your heel instead. Either way is sufficient.
Like I said, if your comfortable with it that way and achieve the same ends...more power to you. Using the ball of the foot for both brake and blip is more common, imho...

Old 10-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
LMAO at Matt. Instead of arguing with the article you argue with yourself. Nice.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 AM
3.6TT/2 = 1.8T
Kraftwerk is infamous around these partsKraftwerk is infamous around these parts
A question for the masters of heel-toe and double-clutching...since I'm still an amateur. After blipping the throttle in either the heel-toe or double-clutch, does the accelerator need to be used in conjunction with letting out the clutch or is it simply blip up the throttle then foot off gas, drop clutch??

Also, the 5spd A4 that I drive, despite having a wonderfully smooth gearbox, might have a worn out clutch. 57k miles, and the clutch can be pressed about 2-3 inches for engaging, leaving more than a foot of pedal travel. Is this a clutch problem or something else?

Old 10-08-2004, 09:50 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by rockitman
Like I said, if your comfortable with it that way and achieve the same ends...more power to you. Using the ball of the foot for both brake and blip is more common, imho...
the exact action and part of the foot will depend on the car. In the Porsche i use the right side of my foot to blip the accelerator because the pedal is hinged at the floor. In the Elise i use my heel because the pedal is hinged from above. I much prefer pedals hinged from above instead of the floor hinged Porsche pedals.

-Steve

Old 10-08-2004, 09:53 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Kraftwerk
A question for the masters of heel-toe and double-clutching...since I'm still an amateur. After blipping the throttle in either the heel-toe or double-clutch, does the accelerator need to be used in conjunction with letting out the clutch or is it simply blip up the throttle then foot off gas, drop clutch??

Also, the 5spd A4 that I drive, despite having a wonderfully smooth gearbox, might have a worn out clutch. 57k miles, and the clutch can be pressed about 2-3 inches for engaging, leaving more than a foot of pedal travel. Is this a clutch problem or something else?
When you rev match correctly you should be able to let the clutch out rapidly and have it be totally smooth. It should feel just like it feels when you let the clutch out and the car is in neutral.

Pedal travel has nothing to do with clutch wear. When the clutch wears out you will notice it slipping. The revs will jump up without the car accelerating.

-Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Downshifting