996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 01:21 AM
OKHJOON190 is infamous around these parts
Question Downshifting

can someone please tell me the correct way to downshift?

ive been told recently that the best way to downshift would be to

step 1 : Press in the clutch
step 2 : Downshift
step 3 : Hit the gas and let go
step 4 : Depress the Clutch

is this the correct way?

is this even good for the car/clutch/me?

Help from the masters needed please

Old 10-08-2004, 01:22 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
make sure u dont ask a tip owner, coz they dont know how to drive worth $hit lol bwahaha j/k...

Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Do a google search on heel/toe downshifting. You need a few different descriptions to truly understand how it works, unless someone shows you. It's all about rev matching. You want the revs to match the approximate wheel speed so that when the clutch is let out, the car is not upset...ie lurching forward or backward...

Old 10-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
I double clutch mine.

Step 1: Press in the Clutch
Step 2: Selector in neutral
Step 3: Depress the clutch
Step 4: Blip the throttle
Step 5: Press in the Clutch
Step 6: Select Gear
Step 7: Depress clutch

All that while on the brakes. Much fun.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is infamous around these parts
1.Brake with ball of your right foot.
2.Push in clutch with left foot.
3.Put car in appropriate gear depending on circumstance.
4.While maintainging ball of your foot on the brake, rotate your right foot to the right, so that your right heel can blip the accelerator pedal to match the revs so as not to upset the car (this is the hard part).
5.Take right foot off brake and place on accelerator pedal giving the car the right amount of throttle to negotiate exiting the corner properly (this is, if you are cornering and assuming you are apexing properly).

Old 10-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Life Dies
I double clutch mine.

Step 1: Press in the Clutch
Step 2: Selector in neutral
Step 3: Depress the clutch
Step 4: Blip the throttle
Step 5: Press in the Clutch
Step 6: Select Gear
Step 7: Depress clutch

All that while on the brakes. Much fun.
No.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Great. The guy who's infatuated with stick doesn't even know how to properly execute proper shifting techniques. Matt, when it comes to pedal dancing I'd school your *** so hard. Do not argue with me in this thread.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:51 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Matt Fresh
4.While maintainging ball of your foot on the brake, rotate your right foot to the right, so that your right heel can blip the accelerator pedal to match the revs so as not to upset the car (this is the hard part).
I don't do it that way and that is one of the biggest misnomers of heel/toe. You should not be blipping with the heel, unless for some strange reason it's easier. When the left side of the ball of your right foot is on the brake, you roll your heel so that the rt portion of the ball of the foot makes contact with the gas for the blip. I have big feet and it's seems to be most comfortable for me that way. Most people I have spoken with do it that way.

Different strokes for different folks...

Old 10-08-2004, 01:58 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Life Dies, I'm with you. Double clutch downshifting is the best way to go.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:00 AM
Banned
When you blip with the heal it tends to offset the amount of pressure applied to the brake. At least when I try to use my heal I can not properly modulate the pressure. I find the best way is like rockitman says and use the corner of the brake pedal with my left side of my foot and blip with the right.

ColorChange. Yea bro. I screw up downshifting the easier way now. Become so used to double clutching. If you double clutch I bet you have the same problem.

Last edited by Life Dies; 10-08-2004 at 02:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 AM
OKHJOON190 is infamous around these parts
but is the way i wrote bad for the car or incorrect?

Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Banned
Re: Downshifting

To answer all your questions.

Originally posted by OKHJOON190

is this the correct way?

Yes, thats the basic idea.

is this even good for the car/clutch/me?

Its much better for the clutch vs. easing it out. The idea is to match the RPM's with the speed of the gear your are selecting. So ideally, no wear should occur on the clutch if you perfectly land one. As I mentioned, I double clutch. I can actually double clutch faster than a regular heal toe because its not as forceful. The idea is to match the speed of the tranny with the speed of the rpms and the rpms the speed of the gear. Sorry if that doesn't make sense. But basically the idea is to cause less wear on the syncros thus better for the car.

Help from the masters needed please

Old 10-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Banned
Originally posted by rockitman
I don't do it that way and that is one of the biggest misnomers of heel/toe. You should not be blipping with the heel, unless for some strange reason it's easier. When the left side of the ball of your right foot is on the brake, you roll your heel so that the rt portion of the ball of the foot makes contact with the gas for the blip. I have big feet and it's seems to be most comfortable for me that way. Most people I have spoken with do it that way.

Different strokes for different folks...
This only applies to a downshift when you are not braking.

When entering a corner on a track, or whatever, and when you enter the braking zone, you are hard on the brake with the ball of your right foot. If you are to take your right foot off the brake, and use your heel to rotate the ball of your foot to the gas, you have then taken your foot off the brake, allowing weight to transfer to the front of the car too early (this will induce tailspin and slow you down, or spin out in the corner). You shoud be downshifting WHILE braking, so when you near the apex, you can go directly from braking to imputting throttle, hence the reason to stay on the brake, while matching revs. This minimizes the time during shifing that the rear of the car (especially Porsche) will come loose.

If this way is incorrect, then please tell me why when watching pro racing veterans drive 996TT in racing videos and on the track, they do it this way?

Life Dies: You know about as much about driving and cars as Coco the Gorilla knows about the english language.

Last edited by Matt Fresh; 10-08-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Nope...Full braking and gasing at the same time....all with the ball of my foot...

Old 10-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Banned
Why would you use the ball of your foot when not braking? That doesn't make sense Matt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Downshifting