996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TurboS Project by IPD TurboMike

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Curious - what MAF was used on this car? Looks like it was a sensor dropped into the pipe? Are the Y-pipes with MAF for sale now and if so how much? ...
Ford MAF. Contact Betim at bbi he'll take care of you.

Mikey in action again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYneQN_GGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5cFX5x1BhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba5llzww_6c

Last edited by sid350; 03-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Curious - what MAF was used on this car? Looks like it was a sensor dropped into the pipe? Are the Y-pipes with MAF for sale now and if so how much? How's the low speed driveability? I assume the air filters are mounted above the intercoolers? I noticed a second Bosch pump was installed - was this dropped into the tank or placed elsewhere? On a DynoDynamics dyno those are SICK numbers! I really think blow-thru is the way to go to remove restrictions and am interested in pricing it out...
BLKMGK if the pump was in the tank u would not notice it, if u noticed it it must be out of the tank. BKLMGK i know u know quite a bit about Supras. i also had a couple them. i was wondering do u have any aftermarket plenum on your Porsche? which model do u have 996tt, 997tt? what are your thoughts about Porsche cars vs Toyota cars?
Thanx for bringing some of your knowledge over from JDM side. the more we know the better we're off without discriminating on certain product.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Cool

Oh I noticed the second pump because it was mentioned somewhere along the line and thus I was curious as to how it was installed. On Supra they mount as many as three Walbro together to provide enough volume for high power. I actually had to stage mine after they wore in because they were overrunning the stock return line! I'd love it if bumping fuel capacity was as easy on these but having seen the monstrosity that sits inside the tank that doesn't seem really likely. Doing a second in series I'm not sure about either <sigh>

I have a 2002 Silver 996tt, no sunroof. Turbos have been done although not something most use or that I've even heard of -Tony knows what they are heh, 60lb injectors, clutch w\997 flywheel, exhaust, Tony's tune w\EBC, headers, DVs, some Techart parts and a GT2 styled wing. Wheels are being swapped to GT3 styled 18s as soon as the last one shows up and centercaps get here, I have 19inch DPEs on there now that don't seem right for the car in the back. I have dyno sheet but I don't recall the numbers and honestly I'm not sure how much it's putting out right now - I've switched it back to AWD but might go RWD again lol. I need to drive another 996tt back to back to feel how other's turbo respond and hope to soon.

My primary concerns are to try and make what I have more efficient and I'd like it quieter as well in the cabin - drone sucks! That means I'd like to free up the intake side of the turbos as it's REAL restrictive. A blow-thru MAF is VERY attractive to me for this reason. I would like to swap to higher capacity intercoolers as well, another restriction to remove. That will leave throttlebody, y-pipe (MAF takes care of this), and plenum left to do and it ought to be free flowing. This brings up big concerns with fueling for me and why I ask others what they have done. Folks have questioned if I'm on the edge now and I need to datalog before I make changes. What I don't want is Rube Goldberg's plumbing nightmare under the "bonnet".

Supra vs P-car? Supra WAY easier to work on by mortals! I had a standalone in my Supra from AEM and I tuned that sucker pretty well, I also tuned a bunch of others. I did a good bit of support and beta testing for the AEM guys as well. Now? Now I have to rely on others to tune my car which also brings up questions on who tunes Blow-thru and at what cost. I'm very sensitive to driveability and it's one of the things I spent most of my time tuning on the Supra - max power is EASY by comparison and I could do it in a few pulls (speed density). Sadly most P-car shops don't seem to be really local and I'm the sort that likes to wrench myself - I'm also not made of money by any stretch. The result is I like to understand why something works and where the gains can be had for the dollar before I spend. On the plus side the Porsche is more easily recognized, has REAL HIDs, has AWD (sorta'), is lighter, brakes better, and has a larger engine that thankfully seems to be turning out to be fairly strong. If this one gets hit I get paid instead of being jerked around over lost value which is quite nice. The 2JZGTE was an anvil! I made 720RWHP and was about to swap on a ported had and cams to crest over 800somewhere and I had zero worries about strength. If it blew I could source a spare all over the place, not so the Porsche! <cough> The Supra had much more lag, mine had a 71GTQ and 4inch exhaust, the P-car makes a better powerband. I was this >< close to putting a 67mm turbo on there for street driving as I was octane limited on the big turbo even spraying meth and the response would have been lightyears better - and I wanted to prove I could still make as much power on pump. Pump gas I made right around 600HP with meth and I ran that for a long time without issue. Overall I like the P-car alot and I want to make changes to it so I'm slowly planning it out. I need to drive it more truth be told, I think the new wheels\tires will make me feel more comfortable doing so

That help?

Last edited by BLKMGK; 03-07-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
wow, i almost red all of it. i agreed with what u said about running it in series. the rest i'll waite for tomorrow to read.....jk thanx for sharing

Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I have a 2002 Silver 996tt, no sunroof. Turbos have been done although not something most use or that I've even heard of -Tony knows what they are heh, 60lb injectors, clutch w\997 flywheel, exhaust, Tony's tune w\EBC, headers, DVs, some Techart parts and a GT2 styled wing. Wheels are being swapped to GT3 styled 18s as soon as the last one shows up and centercaps get here, I have 19inch DPEs on there now that don't seem right for the car in the back. I have dyno sheet but I don't recall the numbers and honestly I'm not sure how much it's putting out right now - I've switched it back to AWD but might go RWD again lol. I need to drive another 996tt back to back to feel how other's turbo respond and hope to soon.

My primary concerns are to try and make what I have more efficient and I'd like it quieter as well in the cabin - drone sucks! That means I'd like to free up the intake side of the turbos as it's REAL restrictive. A blow-thru MAF is VERY attractive to me for this reason. I would like to swap to higher capacity intercoolers as well, another restriction to remove. That will leave throttlebody, y-pipe (MAF takes care of this), and plenum left to do and it ought to be free flowing. This brings up big concerns with fueling for me and why I ask others what they have done. Folks have questioned if I'm on the edge now and I need to datalog before I make changes. What I don't want is Rube Goldberg's plumbing nightmare under the "bonnet".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i will read the last part 2nite!!!!!!!!!!!!!feels like i just went back college again WoW. BLKMNK so what kind of data have u collected on your car with all the mods that u've done? any dyno numbers, any aerodynamic, drag coefficient etc.......
it would be interesting to compare urs with others. its awesome for u to put some of these vendors on their toes.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
As it stands right now the car is as it was purchased. I am currently learning and plotting Truthfully life throws curve ***** and I've just not quite dove into the car yet. Wheels\tires this week. Research on cleaning up the intake next. I'd like an exhaust that I can maintain my sanity with and will be listening to others exhaust soon I hope. I have a dyno sheet for the car but it was done RWD and by the previous owner, I need to go back to RWD and retest for a baseline. I think a blow thru MAF and cleaned up intake would make the turbos I've got shine. These are a hybrid K24 turbo that I honestly do not know much about. Pulls strongly though but from what I've seen from others it has to be getting strangled on the inlet side and on the intercooler side as well. I want to clean that up significantly and see where that lands me...

FWIw, the piece built in this thread looks damned nice for blow thru and obviously performs well!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM
As it stands right now the car is as it was purchased. I am currently learning and plotting Truthfully life throws curve ***** and I've just not quite dove into the car yet. Wheels\tires this week. Research on cleaning up the intake next. I'd like an exhaust that I can maintain my sanity with and will be listening to others exhaust soon I hope. I have a dyno sheet for the car but it was done RWD and by the previous owner, I need to go back to RWD and retest for a baseline. I think a blow thru MAF and cleaned up intake would make the turbos I've got shine. These are a hybrid K24 turbo that I honestly do not know much about. Pulls strongly though but from what I've seen from others it has to be getting strangled on the inlet side and on the intercooler side as well. I want to clean that up significantly and see where that lands me...

FWIw, the piece built in this thread looks damned nice for blow thru and obviously performs well!

excellent, u got right to the point, good luck n keep us updated on your progress.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 PM
TurboChris996tt is just really niceTurboChris996tt is just really niceTurboChris996tt is just really niceTurboChris996tt is just really nice
What a nice video That Yellow Cab is hauling some major a$$. Good run guys.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Great Video Richard!!

Congrats to BBi guys and Turbo Mike!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:49 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Where the f...k have you been dude? I thought you evaporated from Planet Earth

Originally Posted by TurboChris996tt
What a nice video That Yellow Cab is hauling some major a$$. Good run guys.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Sid/Art....

Any updates on Turbo Mike's tweety?

-V

Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !sid350 Is a GOD !
He actually sold it a few weeks ago. He has a 997 GT2 now...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mikes-gt2.html