996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

5 broken release bearings in 6 months.....cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yup, Can't wait to hear the report...

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Is there any sort of timeframe regarding when they might have a report on what the cause of the failure was? I realize this is a little premature, but I'd like to have a general idea. Are they going to be willing to share that information, or is there going to be some reticence about giving out info that could have recall or liability issues associated with it? Who is coordinating with Sachs in an effort to get the final report? I don't think it's going to be voluntarily released as a public service announcement.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Spoke with the engineer today and he said he has been in discussions with the guys who are "the Porsche guys" back in Germany. Also said the pressure plate and bearings are "in line" for testing. Told me he hopes to have some data by the week's end. We'll see....but I must admit, at least outwardly, they have shown a tremendous amount of interest in the whole issue. seems at least they really do want to figure out what, if anything has happened. The guy told me to package everything up and send it directly to him- and he is in charge of Race Engineering for the entire country.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks and do keep us updated... interested to find out what issues are!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by $manager
Spoke with the engineer today and he said he has been in discussions with the guys who are "the Porsche guys" back in Germany. Also said the pressure plate and bearings are "in line" for testing. Told me he hopes to have some data by the week's end. We'll see....but I must admit, at least outwardly, they have shown a tremendous amount of interest in the whole issue. seems at least they really do want to figure out what, if anything has happened. The guy told me to package everything up and send it directly to him- and he is in charge of Race Engineering for the entire country.
Thats good to hear. I look forward to anything they discover about the possible problem...

Goodluck Tom..

Old 06-21-2009, 02:58 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
any updates on this?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I just had an Aasco flywheel and Sachs clutch kit installed. The first TO bearing was bad immediately, the second makes a Griding noise under load. It is most noticeable between 2 and 3K RPM in all gears. Sound a lot like a grindy gear whine.

These parts were not sourced from Kevin, but I was told these are the same parts used on the RS.

This is all within less than 300 miles total.

This can not be coincidence. I bet it's a bad batch of TO bearings?

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 09-04-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I just had an Aasco flywheel and Sachs clutch kit installed. The first TO bearing was bad immediately, the second makes a Griding noise under load. It is most noticeable between 2 and 3K RPM in all gears. Sound a lot like gear whine.

These parts were not sourced from Kevin, but I was told these are the same parts used on the RS.

This is all within less than 300 miles total.

This can not be coincidence. I bet it's a bad batch of TO bearings?
I wonder if there is a lot number or something that could be posted to make sure none of these ever get out and do more damage

Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
are these oem t.o. bearings failing? os some other mfgr?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Like maybe we're thinking ....outsourced to China?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
what happened with this finally?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
any update on this thread?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
damn. loose lips sink ships.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iJeremy
If this is Kevin's kit I'll go ahead and stick my head out and vote for installation error as well. He knows what he's doing when it comes to these setups and I'd be curious to know what sort of shape the flywheel is in after the failure, as well the other parts taken out and replaced...
at least 5 UMW kits up my way and all working fine including mine. I have heard of the install error, flipped disk just recently. Luckily it was not driven, the problem was discovered and the disk flipped back correctly.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
even i can say no wrong about the lwf i bought from kevin it works fine (same guy that installed his turbos)i think i would replace one lwf kit at cost and be done with it.....after of course checking with my supp;ierfor the same deal that way no one gets seriously hert

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5 broken release bearings in 6 months.....cause?