996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spoiler Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Spoiler Failure

Howdy,

I have had a "spoiler failure" twice on my car. It's a 01 Turbo, stock. In both cases, the wing goes up and I get the red light. The spoiler stays up but will go down with the dash button. Next time I start the car it seems to work fine, for a while.

Any ideas what the deal is?

Thanks in advance!

Roy

Old 10-08-2004, 08:29 AM
JimC is infamous around these parts
I had the same Failure twice now one at 3000 miles and the hydraulic cylinders were changed and again last week and the same repair at 12000 miles whatsd up with this, both times it went up and would not come down and I was told the hyd pump was working but the cylinders wouldnot move It would seem that if the pump worked the cylinders would go up which they did, mabe there is a check valve in the hyd circuit thaty sticks????????

Old 10-08-2004, 08:50 AM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
How many times has this thread started?
It's comical how many wing failures people have. WTF?

Yet another example of what I consider marginal build quality in what I thought was a bulletproof car. Jeez.

It's a biological problem. Mine fixed itself.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
JayM is infamous around these parts
Yes, it is a common problem (and a common posting topic). In my case, the problem occurs when one of the cylinders get a little schmutz residue building up, and as a result one side goes down a little slower than the other. Eventually, when one side gets too far ahead of the other (so the spoiler is at an angle which causes side-force on the hydraulic cylinder) the resistance cause the fail-safe mechanism to trip (it thinks there is something under the spoiler so it shuts down). Easy to fix-just extend the spoiler and take your favorite metal polish and clean the pistons. You can also try then adding a little of your lubricant of choice around the pistons, raise and lower the spoiler a few times to get it distributed, and you should be good.

As a test, raise your spoiler all the way with the switch, then lower it while you watch. Both sides should hit bottom at the exact same time. If they don't, you have found your problem.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Parker is infamous around these parts
Roy, how's the stable of beauties and BEASTS these days?!? [Major Grin]

Rob

Old 10-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Thanks for everyones feedback. I'll try cleaning the cylinders before I take it in for service... Only 7 months of warranty left

Rob - The stable is getting thin! I've been selling more than buying! I really need a new track car and am working my F dealer to get an early 430... Other than that the cars that stay are the Porsches

Roy

Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I had this too

its an easy zero cost fix with some silicone spray on the struts

Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Tpup

Rob - The stable is getting thin! I've been selling more than buying! I really need a new track car and am working my F dealer to get an early 430... Other than that the cars that stay are the Porsches

Roy
Did you sell the Exige? I just got my Elise and love it. I'd imagine the Exige value has taken quite a hit now that we can finally drive Elises on the street.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Yes I sold it before the US Elise showed up. I'm considering a new Motorsport Exige or a Motorsport version of the Fed Elise. Driving on the street is not a huge deal with me, I want close to a full cage in case I hit something

Roy