996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why use a EBC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
My ECU would never provide the amount of boost my engine was designed to sustain so I installed an HKS controller in order to achieve it. I also installed Tial 44mm external waste gates because with compressors in Garrett GT 30 series and larger (maybe 28's too, I've never seen one) there are several offset bends that must be made in the waste gate accuator rods for clearance. As many of you have experienced, these things are full of stress risers and prone to break. My setup has been trouble free for over a year.

ttboost, do you know of any HKS EVC VI units that had a failure in their fail-safe system? It can be set to dial back boost if a pre-determined level is achieved and it is my understanding that if the whole system goes kaput, the springs in my external waste gate valves will be the determinate element for boost bleed off.

As far as EBC's, I have only used a HKS EVC IV (best boost controller I've used so far) and it will cut boost in an overboost situation, like most, if not all EBC's, but thats it. SGM is obviously right, as everyone agrees, about the other built in safety's of the factory DME. I trust my tuner and with his advice, thats what I choose to use. I believe EPL has a way to sharpen up the reaction of the factory boost solenoid, not sure though. With my tune, I run 1.3 on pump, and my car spools very quickly with no spikes and holds that boost level until I'm done. Granted, that is with the factory "idiot" boost gauge.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
It gives you the option to choose certain Psi levels. Let's say with my car I can put it on three settings. Pump gas, 100 octane, and C16. Put on desired psi and octane. Best addition I had on my BBi Project.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I have all my hoses to the external waste gates set up so I can switch 2 barbed couplings, uncap 2 tees and go from EVC to factory ECU within a few minutes. I plan to install some 3-way toggle valves to make it a really quick conversion.

With an EBC functioning I know the Motronic loses control of the boost but not the timing in response to boost pressure, knock sensing, etc. This is the way it has been explained to me.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I know what an EBC is used for and what it does, I was just curious as to why people use them on 4/18s and not on GT28s or GT30 et al. I appreciate each response.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Andre,

I used an EBC on my GT28's and my 18g's. It worked just fine with both sets of turbos. I think the reason most tuners don't recommend using one, is because the kits aren't designed around it. It seems that most custom kits (GT30's, GT35's, 20g's, etc) use them, and I think it's because the ECU will not provide the amount of boost the customer wants.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Andre,

I used an EBC on my GT28's and my 18g's. It worked just fine with both sets of turbos. I think the reason most tuners don't recommend using one, is because the kits aren't designed around it. It seems that most custom kits (GT30's, GT35's, 20g's, etc) use them, and I think it's because the ECU will not provide the amount of boost the customer wants.

I don't understand why people keep saying that the DME will not provide the amount of boost they want?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ttboost
I don't understand why people keep saying that the DME will not provide the amount of boost they want?
BC it's provided in the program------- or not. You don't always get that for which you ask.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Hmmm, You pay for a flash/tune and don't get the boost level you want? That stinks...but I get it now. Unless you have a really cooperative tuner, you need a boost controller...

Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Hmmm, You pay for a flash/tune and don't get the boost level you want? That stinks...but I get it now. Unless you have a really cooperative tuner, you need a boost controller...
well said....

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
As the Oracle said to Neo; "Bingo."