996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cant get into 2nd, 4th, and 6th Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Bankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these parts
Cant get into 2nd, 4th, and 6th Gear

Hi. This is different from the "I can't get into first third or fifth" thread...because I can't even physically shift into the gears. About last week, the gears(just the evens, odd gears and reverse work perfectly) began to get harder and harder to shift into(like, sludgy feeling), but then it went away kinda, so I paid no attention to it. Today after getting off the freeway, it started up again and got real bad. I physically can not shift into any of those gears without using 2 hands and pulling back HARD. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is it just the shifter linkage? Will I need a new shifter or is it something worst....need info ASAP!

My car:
2002 Porsche 911 Turbo
Just turned 50k
EVOMS stage 1 (reflash, intake, divs)
Unknown short shifter(previous owner installed)

Last edited by Bankai; 04-11-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
All I can tell you is that you can F your tranny by forcing it... assuming it isn't already hosed.

You problem can be shifter, shifter linkage/adjustment, or transmission shift forks.

If it were mine I'd take apart the shifter and re-install the SSK, checking all alignment.

Do Not force it...drive in 1, 3, 5 if need be.

A

Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Bankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these partsBankai is infamous around these parts
Ok well its virtually impossible now to even get into the even gears, does anyone else have any other input? If it were the shifter linkeage, why would it come on gradually?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I think you have a linkage adjustment isue.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I think you have a linkage adjustment isue.

I agree. I would take the cables OFF the shifter and let them sit where they normally would. The cables are sprung in and out, they will sit in the "halfway" position. Make sure the shifter handle is PERFECTLY straight up and push the cables BACK into the shifter and make sure the plastic sprung pieces click into position. Then try it.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:25 AM
Moralman is infamous around these parts
Hi,
I know this is an old thread...but did you find out what was the problem? I am also currently facing the same issues with 2/4/6 gears which are very stiff engaging/disengaging. 1/3/5/reverse are smooth and easy to engage.

regards,
colin

Originally Posted by Bankai
Hi. This is different from the "I can't get into first third or fifth" thread...because I can't even physically shift into the gears. About last week, the gears(just the evens, odd gears and reverse work perfectly) began to get harder and harder to shift into(like, sludgy feeling), but then it went away kinda, so I paid no attention to it. Today after getting off the freeway, it started up again and got real bad. I physically can not shift into any of those gears without using 2 hands and pulling back HARD. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is it just the shifter linkage? Will I need a new shifter or is it something worst....need info ASAP!

My car:
2002 Porsche 911 Turbo
Just turned 50k
EVOMS stage 1 (reflash, intake, divs)
Unknown short shifter(previous owner installed)

Old 01-02-2020, 09:24 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like broken cables.