996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT3 Sway Bars on my Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You guys should take a look at your OEM factory drop links... They're TWIGS compared to the aftermarket adjustable units. If you track your car, and want to "feel" what it's like to run with no bar, you'll eventually snap a rear droplink and get to feel that sensation. I just hope it isn't in the wrong place on track.

When mine broke on me, the car was almost undrivable on track, which is probably a direct result of my suspension setup being as aggressive as it is with the alignment and ride height combo...

For anyone serious about driving their car hard, I'd replace BOTH front AND rear drop links, and THE ONLY reason I recommend running a front bar is so you can get one that is adjustable that you can use to help balance the car. You may find it feels more balanced without it, as HeavyChevy has mentioned, or you might find you like having it, as I do (set at the softest setting).

Regardless which direction you go, get some aftermarket droplinks... This is another area Porsche really scimped in on the 996TT.

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I did the full thing ....

coilovers (many opinions..I'll stay away from that)
front and rear H&R sways, fit for our AWD cars (adding the front with all the labor and other stuff was not that much money....)
Agency Drop links front and rear (big thick, super strong ones....)
gt2 corner balance more or less (for track but also to save the rear tires...)

No issues after a year now. I have had to tighten the bolts on the links once.

I used Dan at Vivid and had very good service from them as the supplier. My local shop did the install. On track, I feel much better in corners now. It is a heavy car (except for Tom's)....but it is surgical now in my mind. I got the most gain in braking in corners and a feeling of rapid set of the car...hard to explain it. I think I inherently threshold brake and this set up lets me do that better. I am not good enough to explain it better than that, sorry. Mike?

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-15-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Merlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of lightMerlin is a glorious beacon of light
Has anyone weighed the the H&R, GT3, and Stock sways? Just to get and idea if it's any consideration for weight loss.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
So I guess I'm trying to decide what route to go and not wanting to buy things twice. I'd like to do just the rear bar and see how that feels. If I do just the gt3 rear but decide later to go with a front bar can you mix and match (H&R bar)?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by j.mitchell70
So I guess I'm trying to decide what route to go and not wanting to buy things twice. I'd like to do just the rear bar and see how that feels. If I do just the gt3 rear but decide later to go with a front bar can you mix and match (H&R bar)?
Yes, no problem there.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
so much misinformation. I have GT3 sways for years and no problems. none what so ever.

I would not mix sways. if going H&R I would go f&R.

Fwiw, the GT sways are hollow and the H&R are solid.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Actually Oak, A lot of guys who race will run various hollow and solid bars to get a desired handling scenario at a given track.

I "thought" a number of guys had been running the GT3 bar on the front with the right drop links without issues, but since I haven't and don't have Gt3 bars on the car ( mine are H/R), I didn't comment on that issue.

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
so much misinformation. I have GT3 sways for years and no problems. none what so ever.

I would not mix sways. if going H&R I would go f&R.

Fwiw, the GT sways are hollow and the H&R are solid.
Thanks, Oak. Guess I was wrong. I was told by a vendor when I was buying sway bars that the GT3 front bar didn't fit the AWD.

Jon

Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Fabryce at GMG told me the gt3 is not really correct in a pure sense for the turbo. It w/could work....GMG sells a nice bar fwiw too. I have nothing to do with them. I got the whole package at a great price as I don't think the weight was that bad... The H&R's are fit to the 996TT with AWD fwiw. I don't argue with OAK though, he's usually right.

Jeff

Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
... I don't argue with OAK though, he's usually right.

Jeff
Yep, me too.

Jon

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned
j.mitchell70 is infamous around these parts
Great information posted so far. Sorry if this has already been posted, but what is needed to run the front GT3 sway bar? Thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
What else do I need in order to install the rear GT3 swaybar?
bushings? diff bolts?

Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
all you will need bushings and drop links for both front and rear GT sways.
I used to run straight TRG DL's before my RS moton conversion with out any problems. TRG offers a curved set specific for turbos.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
AdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to allAdrianM5 is a name known to all
I run TRG drop links on my GT3r swaybars! no problem at all.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Has anyone tried the Eibach swaybars? I'm thinking of giving them a go, the pricing seems good at around 340 for a set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Sway Bars on my Car