996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How much are you paying for an oil change at the dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kosmo96
I do it myself. It's very easy. I don't even bother to jack it up--it can be done while its sitting on the tires. Don't forget to drain the turbo's also.

What pan do you have thats big enough to hold all that oil, yet fit under the car on the ground?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Wanhand is infamous around these parts
I would like that same pan too...hehehe

Old 04-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I have this 5 gal one from Autozone, It has inverted lips on the inside discouraging "gush over". If you're kind of prissy about drips on the floor, they have a pan to go under it too (25x36x 3/4).
I hate clean-up but I haven't had much of a spill since I bought the big yellow one. Some guys just drive the car up onto lengths of 2x6, I like to jack mine up all the way so I can inspect all the parts under there & check for leaks after the change. Kevin at UMW recommends removing the fuel pump fuse so the oil pressure comes up before the engine fires up.

Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Danyol
I have this 5 gal one from Autozone, It has inverted lips on the inside discouraging "gush over". If you're kind of prissy about drips on the floor, they have a pan to go under it too (25x36x 3/4).
I hate clean-up but I haven't had much of a spill since I bought the big yellow one. Some guys just drive the car up onto lengths of 2x6, I like to jack mine up all the way so I can inspect all the parts under there & check for leaks after the change. Kevin at UMW recommends removing the fuel pump fuse so the oil pressure comes up before the engine fires up.

That yellow one is the one I use for coolant, I have a black one just like it for oil. I never thought it would fit under the car though...have to try it.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:06 AM
kosmo96 is infamous around these parts
I use a 10 Qt. Black one from Autozone. Its a tight fit under the car but it works fine. I access the oil reservoir from the side of the car behind the right rear tire. Don't pull the drain plug as the oil flows too fast. I unscrew it almost out so I can control the flow. Once the flow is down to a trickle I remove the plug. The engine block drain and the turbos can be accessed from the rear of the car and I use a standard 5 Qt. dish type to catch that oil. The only thing that gets dirty is me laying on the floor.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ttboost
That yellow one is the one I use for coolant, I have a black one just like it for oil. I never thought it would fit under the car though...have to try it.
I jack my car up, the yellow would be a tight fit

Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
I use a 10 Qt. Black one from Autozone. Its a tight fit under the car but it works fine. I access the oil reservoir from the side of the car behind the right rear tire. Don't pull the drain plug as the oil flows too fast. I unscrew it almost out so I can control the flow. Once the flow is down to a trickle I remove the plug. The engine block drain and the turbos can be accessed from the rear of the car and I use a standard 5 Qt. dish type to catch that oil. The only thing that gets dirty is me laying on the floor.
You have way more patience that me - I want to see the stuff come out fast! plus a risk I'd have to fish the plug out of the pan of oil

Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
The pan (tub type) I bought has a slip off plastic grill on the top to prevent the plug from falling in. Also has a capped drain plug on the side to dump transfer the used oil to whatever you are using to dispose of it.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 AM
The pan (tub type) I bought has a slip off plastic grill on the top to prevent the plug from falling in. Also has a capped drain plug on the side to dump transfer the used oil to whatever you are using to dispose of it.
This one?

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes, that's it exactly. Thanks for posting the picture.