996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Castrol 5w-40 instead of Mobil 0w-40???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
The only oil Porsche Factory approves is Mobil 1. As mentioned above, some dealers may have a local distributor that gives them a deal on product and they can make better profits etc - so they may push that. But all Porsche Factory Teams and all Porsche's out of the factory fun Mobil 1.

Now Mobil 1 has a brand new Racing Oil - this is a really high end product for guys racing their cars and wanting something that much better. You can check it here - http://www.mobil1racingstore.com/buyracinglubes.html

There is also a video that may be fun to watch that has some Porsche stuff in it with Mobil 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWfB...BCE3AA&index=0

The full show can be found online on the Doc Channel.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:26 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
great info in this thread. Thank you for providing this.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thankful
The only oil Porsche Factory approves is Mobil 1. As mentioned above, some dealers may have a local distributor that gives them a deal on product and they can make better profits etc - so they may push that. But all Porsche Factory Teams and all Porsche's out of the factory fun Mobil 1.

Now Mobil 1 has a brand new Racing Oil - this is a really high end product for guys racing their cars and wanting something that much better. You can check it here - http://www.mobil1racingstore.com/buyracinglubes.html

There is also a video that may be fun to watch that has some Porsche stuff in it with Mobil 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWfB...BCE3AA&index=0

The full show can be found online on the Doc Channel.

Hope this helps.
Porsche approves many more brands and viscosities than Mobil 1 0W-40 - see attachment. Mobil is the only one who pays Porsche to use their sticker in the engine compartment.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Approved Oils.pdf (114.4 KB, 1046 views)

Last edited by jhbrennan; 04-18-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
great info guys. I wonder what they do to the racing formula? anyone know?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
rumor is stock 0w-40

Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned
kc2ab is infamous around these parts
oil changing issues

good info, i'm newbie...just got a 03 x50 tip (wife issue..) and i checked the oil as per manual and ALL LEDs light up... does that mean i'm over filled? no other ligths show up....oil bar at 4+ on throttle....

do i wait for it to burn off? what is the capacity of oil change if i can drop the oil from 2 drain ports? get oil filter from dealer....

speaking of,how often do you guys change your oil ?? i'm so used to changing every 5K on my other cars....

jim R
03 x50 tip polar silver CF

Last edited by kc2ab; 04-25-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: need email notification
Old 04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kc2ab
good info, i'm newbie...just got a 03 x50 tip (wife issue..) and i checked the oil as per manual and ALL LEDs light up... does that mean i'm over filled? no other ligths show up....oil bar at 4+ on throttle....

do i wait for it to burn off? what is the capacity of oil change if i can drop the oil from 2 drain ports? get oil filter from dealer....

speaking of,how often do you guys change your oil ?? i'm so used to changing every 5K on my other cars....

jim R
03 x50 tip polar silver CF
kc2ab -- each bar on the oil "gauge" is about 0.25 quarts, so if yours reads all the way to the top with no clear bars above, you are at least 0.5 quarts over the "max" line with no way of knowing by how much more. If you were way over full, you'd probably have lot of blue smoke out the exhaust, but it might be safe to suck out half a quart and recheck the level.

Oil change every 5k miles seems about right.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 996Choy
In Japan dealers use mobil1 5w50
Unfortunately I haven't seen 5w-50 in the states from Mobil1.

Dave

Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Dave....PM me and I'll duke you into my Mobil dealer...he'll drop ship your Mobil 1 5W-50 directly to you from Northern Calif. I have ten cases and have doled it out to the guys around Sacramento who wanted it. Kept four cases for the next couple oil changes. It comes in six pak cases for something around $36 a case. It's hard to find, but I managed to find it.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Jiffy lube here got me 5w-50....about 42/case (PA, USA).

Jeff

Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
dont have it on hand but there is actually quite a list of "approved" oil by Porsche.

ok try this... http://www.mail-archive.com/mercedes.../msg80295.html
Good link Tom! What oil are you using?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Is 5W-50 Mobil 1 available - all I see on their website is 15W-50

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
You;re right - 15w50 is the only vis grade like that. How come you're looking for a thicker vis grade than a 0w40?

You may want to try this as well - http://www.mobil1racingstore.com/

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
how many qts for a full oil change?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
how many qts for a full oil change?
According to the owner's manual, 8.5 quarts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Castrol 5w-40 instead of Mobil 0w-40???