996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SOMEBODY got new GRILLS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
Paul, I bought the mesh from a website that was posted in a thread on here about a month or two ago, custom car grills, I think. Mike has the package with the label, so he can verify that. I drove down to Mike's house and we, he mostly, installed them.
Here's a link to the grill screen installation DIY I recently posted:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eens-pics.html

My first question are why did you use screen that is so large? If your objective is really to keep crap out, then you should have used the small, black, powdercoated diamond mesh from the same vendor. See the pics in my link above and note that even small butterflys are kept out. Secondly, why mount the mesh so that the diamond patern is vertical? It doesn't match the lines of the plastic grill nor the shape of the front of the car. Lastly, I understand you zip-tied the center grill to the rubber boot in front of the radiator. Now you won't be able to get to your radiator easily (even when you remove your bumper to clean the crap out--w/ vaccuum or whatever) that will come through your large screen. I guess you will have to cut the zip-ties, remove the screen and then reinstall.

I am being very critical here only because I've recently done a lot of thinking on this subject and designed and installed what seems so far, to be a great solution. I drove 175 miles yesterday in 85-90 degree heat with no temp problems (and you should see all the crap my small screens kept out of my radiators).

Any thoughts on a comparison appreciated.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Small grill screen bug pics

Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
dt I'll measure the stuff when I get home but I can tell you that this stuff was so small that we had to use a dental pic to pull the mesh into place

Also mounting it to the rubber isolates it from the plastic. What of you eventually have the stuff work loose and vibrate? Mine did and cracked the grill. Removing the grills if you want to clean out the openings is quick and painless

Sorry our installed didn't meet your approval, but it worked for us!
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 04-21-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Good job Mike.

Our tech named Mike has done about 4 cars this week with the mesh. it really looks nice.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Mine looks better.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Mine looks better.
ha ha ha. Good for you and that's all that matters.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
dt I'll measure the stuff when I get home but I can tell you that this stuff was so small that we had to use a dental pic to pull the mesh into place

Also mounting it to the rubber isolates it from the plastic. What of you eventually have the stuff work loose and vibrate? Mine did and cracked the grill. Removing the grills if you want to clean out the openings is quick and painless

Sorry our installed didn't meet your approval, but it worked for us!
Mike
Mike, Well, of course I just had to chime in with my opinion. I think you have more experience w/ this mod (and just about all others, especially suspension--what a great thread) than I do. Is it easier to mount the mesh w/ diamonds vertical w/ your method? I think I know how you mounted the center screen, but I'm not understanding how you did the sides. Please show us some pics so I can complain more definitively.

My way's better, my dog is better than your... etc., etc.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I used permatex around almost the entire inside perimeter of all the plastic grills. How it could come loose and vibrate I have no idea, but opinions welcome.

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Dr jitsu just got his grillzName:  teeth grill.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  3.9 KB

Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Paulie, You're killin' me man!

DTMarsh, There's a lot of ways to skin cats man...

This is the size of the mesh we used and it was indeed the XXL, according to Larry's receipt, which I have...

If yours works for you, then great... We tried a permatex sealer type stuff and then some black calk, and both were goopy messes... We were able to attach the grills the way I described in the write up without any fuss, muss, ore mess... Works well actually and I'm very happy with the results... I'll take more pics and we'll revisit this after I'm done getting some paint on the new bumper cover!

Oh, and my wife is much, much hotter...

Mike

Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Mike,

Somebody recently posted a GT3 DIY on Grill Screens and commemted that they got the XXL size for Cust Car Grills and thought it was too big. Just a preference thing. One of the reasons I went with small is that you said you had no problems w/ your previous mesh size that was rather small and that I had asked you about some time ago.

With my permatex process I'll grant you that you have to be very careful and the screen mesh must fit PERFECTLY, i.e., cut from a template.

I'm looking forward to your pics and some more discussion.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
David, Yea it "could" be smaller, but Larry already bought it, and it honestly didn't look that big to me... My stuff was MUCH smaller, and filtered out a lot more stuff, but his is WAY THICKER and stronger... I guess it's probably a trade off... I figure with the OEM grills, the screen mesh included in the mix, you'll keep tons of stuff out that would otherwise get trapped... It's kind of a trade off though. This stuff is thick though!

Mike

Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Mine looks better.
Actually, I'm jealous because I did mine by myself while you obviously did yours with Mike who also has a passion for these cars. There's nuthin better than playing w/ your car and making it better with someone who knows as much or more about it than you do. My car makes me grin everytime I drive it, but the relationships I've created since owning my turbo are priceless.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
David, Yea it "could" be smaller, but Larry already bought it, and it honestly didn't look that big to me... My stuff was MUCH smaller, and filtered out a lot more stuff, but his is WAY THICKER and stronger... I guess it's probably a trade off... I figure with the OEM grills, the screen mesh included in the mix, you'll keep tons of stuff out that would otherwise get trapped... It's kind of a trade off though. This stuff is thick though!

Mike
I'll wait until I see more pics to say, but it seems like it might be easier to switch mesh size w/ your method than mine. Also, what do you think of my door screen in front of the center radiator as an added layer of protection? Before I added the grill screens it kept the bugs out of the radiator fins.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Anybody on the central coast w/ a turbo, some grill mesh, a tube of Permatex and a case of beer can come over to my house for a custom installation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SOMEBODY got new GRILLS!