996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SOMEBODY got new GRILLS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Anybody on the central coast w/ a turbo, some grill mesh, a tube of Permatex and a case of beer can come over to my house for a custom installation.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
David, I've got the passion but have no skills.

You know I saw a picture of Mike's old screens and thought they looked like they would restrict airflow somewhat, so I picked the larger mesh. After driving on track, I
was more concerned about rocks and ***** of tire rubber than bugs. Your mesh may be advantageous for smaller stuff, but bugs aren't going to bust up your radiator. Like you said, it's just preference. Your installation does have the advantage of easier access for clean out, I'll give you that. I'm going to have to get a super-suck vacuum with a really little fitting.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
ait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant futureait109 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mikelly
ARI, It's simply to simple to even contemplate. Larry doesn't turn a lot of wrrenches and he was able to eyeball it and cut out the units as I attached them.

This is a BUTT simple mod... I was trying to find a pic of a car with the bumper cover off the car... If someone finds one, post it... I know I have one somewhere on a harddrive, but my left knee is swollen and getting to the hard drive ain't happening tonight... Someone post a pick and I'll comment on it, and you'll see how simple it is... The template IS the rubber ducts on the radiators...
Mike
I borrowed this pic from another thread, but I think it shows what you are referring to.

Ed

Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
heron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond repute
all:

I have learned more useful information on how to actually do stuff on this forum in one week than years on the PCA forum.

My mesh is on order!

Thanks guys!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ait109
I borrowed this pic from another thread, but I think it shows what you are referring to.

Ed

Those are the rubber intakes behind the bumper cover that Mike attached the mesh to with zip ties.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by landjet
Those are the rubber intakes behind the bumper cover that Mike attached the mesh to with zip ties.
OK, that makes sense now.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heron163
all:

I have learned more useful information on how to actually do stuff on this forum in one week than years on the PCA forum.

My mesh is on order!

Thanks guys!
That's great. What mesh did you go with? When you get it, PM me and I'll send you more install pics and answer any questions. I'm sure Mike and Landjet will, too. Oh, and welcome to the 6.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
Wow, they look great!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Now on to the PSS9s... Bilstein will alter ANY of their struts to your specs. Mine came with the car pre-altered, but I'm guessing the "changes" were similar to FVD's Eurospec units.

When I called and talked with the tech from Bilstein (about a year ago) they said that they do them all the time for many applications and will work with the customer to get the best available compromise for your application. If you have the time to pull the struts and send them off to Bilstein, it might be worth checking into.

LOL!! thanks for the help! who do I speak to about that (I would assume, not tirerack) and what specifically do I need to tell them to "valve" the C/Os for?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 AM
heron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond reputeheron163 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
That's great. What mesh did you go with? When you get it, PM me and I'll send you more install pics and answer any questions. I'm sure Mike and Landjet will, too. Oh, and welcome to the 6.
Thanks!

I am going with the small diamond mesh (open area ~ 68%) powder coated black. I have not decided on the attachment method - yours vs. attaching to the ducts... seems there are merits to both methods, Any tricks to getting the bumper cover off?

thanks again for all the great info.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Call Bilstein's tech line and ask to talk to someone knowledgable with Porsches, preferably the 996TT. That's the ticket. When I spoke with them, I was on the phone for quite a while. I was simply trying to confirm what I had on the car, as my suspension came on the cas as is.

http://www.bilstein.com/

Mike
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
LOL!! thanks for the help! who do I speak to about that (I would assume, not tirerack) and what specifically do I need to tell them to "valve" the C/Os for?