996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Perception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
I feel like most of you. I don't use the TT for work. My boss doesn't know about it either(Although I don't think it would bother her). I find it the most akward when driving through the neighborhood. We live all the way back part of the neighbohood. One road in and a very slow speed limit. I always feel like I'm showing off. It's a middle class neighbohood,(not many real nice cars).....and therefore many of them are struggling these days. We have a great spot on a lake and would never consider moving even though we could afford moving to a "hoydee toydee" neighborhood. We're always doing something on the house or yard because we enjoy it, not because we're trying one up the neighbors. Unfortunately, I think they don't see it that way....pretty sad. Irregardless, I still wave to every single one of them, even though some of them don't return the favor....also pretty sad.

Tell you one thing though... as soon as I take that right hand turn out of the neighborhood and.....you guessed it, apply generous pressure on the gas pedall ........ yabadabadooooo!!! what neighbors.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
I'm like many of you...I dont share the fact I own one with my boss, co-workers or clients. None of their business in my opinion.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Zlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant futureZlatko has a brilliant future
For business purposes, i wouldn't rock a 996tt..it's too in your face.

Unless your business is to make people think you're that that type of character, then a-ok!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
got2 is infamous around these parts
Like many, I too was concerned about the image. I'm a younger, single guy and was worried that my superiors would think they were paying me too much if I rolled up in a tt post-bonus time. So I actually approached it a different way. I work for a partnership and I began to ask the partners I was closest to what they thought about me getting a car like that. I got the thumbs up all the way to the top. In fact, the day I got it, they all came out to see it and congratulated me on doing a great job on finding such a clean one. I agree with a lot of the comments people have made on this thread, but I think it goes back to your attitude and people's perception of you in your business with or without the car first. For me, it was simple math. I could spend 60k on an M3 like what most of my friends drive, or I could spend less and buy my dream and grin ear to ear everyday to work and get up extra early just to spend time with the beast. It's a passion thing - some people take $20k european vacations they don't tell you about. My vacation is driving.

-H

Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by got2
Like many, I too was concerned about the image. I'm a younger, single guy and was worried that my superiors would think they were paying me too much if I rolled up in a tt post-bonus time. So I actually approached it a different way. I work for a partnership and I began to ask the partners I was closest to what they thought about me getting a car like that. I got the thumbs up all the way to the top. In fact, the day I got it, they all came out to see it and congratulated me on doing a great job on finding such a clean one. I agree with a lot of the comments people have made on this thread, but I think it goes back to your attitude and people's perception of you in your business with or without the car first. For me, it was simple math. I could spend 60k on an M3 like what most of my friends drive, or I could spend less and buy my dream and grin ear to ear everyday to work and get up extra early just to spend time with the beast. It's a passion thing - some people take $20k european vacations they don't tell you about. My vacation is driving.

-H
well put.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
All good points people.

I think it's all hit and/or miss. Some people will think great some will be envious but you know what, life is 2 short;

"The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: “Holy S H I T, What a Ride!!!” (Mavis Leyrer)

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
I'm a dentist with a SY cab that I bought last year. It's always parked out front and my patients always ask about the car. Most are very nice about it, and ask when they can go for a ride. A few say stuff like, I bet this crown/implant/root canal is paying for your car note. I just laugh it off and say, this one's paid for. You're donating to my son's college fund.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
gt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by landjet
Who cares what they think. If they are so insecure that someone else having a nice car sets them off, I think it says more about their petty state of mind, rather than reflecting on you. If they think that way, maybe you are better off without them, and with more success minded clients. At the very least, don't be embarrassed that you drive a supercar. Be thankful.

I agree.
I really don't see problem with what someone drives. I think if you want to be successful you need to surround yourself with successful people. If they don't want to buy from you cause you drive a Porsche so be it,everyone knows sales is just a numbers game. Some buy some don't... Your looking for the buyers, keep moving and you'll fine some.

Is it OK for a doctor to Drive expense cars but not sales people? Million dollar athletes? Business is Business. I wish everyone that work for me can afford to buy and drive luxury cars it means my company is doing well. Who want to work for a company not doing well. or buy from someone not doing well. I want to invest in good people and good company's . Not the other way around .

I say drive it and if they can't take it fine another place to work .......

Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
secretvampire is infamous around these parts
Very interesting thread. I work in a job that has nothing to do with sales or customer contact (software developer), but I was still worried what my co-workers and higher ups would think when I bought the car... that maybe I was trying to "one-up" them or something which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not a flashy, in-your-face kind of guy by any means, I just love to drive and have wanted one of these since I was knee high.

I just started driving it to work some days and the reaction has been universally positive. My co-workers rib me about it in a good-natured way and my CEO thinks it is awesome. Plus they know my side-businesses are where I get my "play money" and I don't have to worry about them thinking I'm somehow being overpaid!

The poster who said who cares what other peoples' perceptions are is spot on, but some of us are neurotic like that.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM
stevengerard is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by secretvampire
The poster who said who cares what other peoples' perceptions are is spot on, but some of us are neurotic like that.
That's the issue, we can control whether we care what other people think but we can not control what other people think and as a professional if it can affect sales, it will affect income which means I must care what people think. I'm driving my Marauder to my client tomorrow

But I must say I am adjusting to those in the neighborhood who look at me oddly - best medicine for that - throw them the keys, you'd be amazed how many converts there are in my hood after a drive around the block in a turbo

Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Broker404 is infamous around these partsBroker404 is infamous around these parts
Funny how most people think someone driving a TT is trying to one-up their co-workers or show off, but it seems in reality most of us are modest people who simply love what they drive.

If I was buying a car just to show off and one-up my friends/boss/co-workers, I think that cars such as an 07 Aston-Martin Vantage V8 for $70k, or a 04 Maserati Coupe for $35-40k make more sense for that purpose.

Originally Posted by magoochi
Irregardless, I still wave to every single one of them, even though some of them don't return the favor....also pretty sad.

It's REGARDLESS

Sorry, reminds me of this movie(Can't remember the name), where this scenario came up at least 8-10 times throughout the movie. Someone would respond to a comment with "Irregardless...." and the main characters would keep saying over and over "NO! It's regardless...irregardless isn't a word." The people being said that to were clueless every time.

People will DEFINITELY think they're overpaying us for our services, etc. if they view us as uneducated AND making the money to drive $100k+ cars

Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Being neurotic means you have totally failed at being in balance with your core, and that is not true success. You may be wealthy, but not truly successful.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Broker404
Funny how most people think someone driving a TT is trying to one-up their co-workers or show off, but it seems in reality most of us are modest people who simply love what they drive.

If I was buying a car just to show off and one-up my friends/boss/co-workers, I think that cars such as an 07 Aston-Martin Vantage V8 for $70k, or a 04 Maserati Coupe for $35-40k make more sense for that purpose.

It's REGARDLESS

Sorry, reminds me of this movie(Can't remember the name), where this scenario came up at least 8-10 times throughout the movie. Someone would respond to a comment with "Irregardless...." and the main characters would keep saying over and over "NO! It's regardless...irregardless isn't a word." The people being said that to were clueless every time.

People will DEFINITELY think they're overpaying us for our services, etc. if they view us as uneducated AND making the money to drive $100k+ cars

As long as I get to keep my bonuses

Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
secretvampire is infamous around these parts
Being neurotic means you have totally failed at being in balance with your core, and that is not true success. You may be wealthy, but not truly successful.
Okay, Confucius. Grasshoppa say: "I was exaggerating when I said neurotic."

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Didn't mean it on a personal level. Just saying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT Perception