996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just moved to Palos Verdes - Where can I go to drive my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by BlackBear
Keep me posted on your track events.

How are the Toyos working out for you?

I need new rears and am contemplating them. I run my old Contis in the rear right now and they suck big time compared to the MPS II. I loose grip on every on ramp and in every turn.

How do the Toyos compare to PSIIs?
Still running my Toyo R888 track tires... Haven't put the 19's back on with the T1-R's... Too much fun with the 18's and sticky rubber (which I've almost burnt through with one track day and lots of canyon carving)... I'm gonna throw the 19's back on soon and I'll let you know. I heard great things about the T1-R's, especially for the money. I am tired of spending 2g's on PS2's a few times/year!!!

Haven't tried the conti's yet and don't think I will...

We may be hitting up Malibu tomorrow afternoon with a few Turbos. I'll be out early with my bike and then I'm gonna go watch the Moto GP race and follow that up with a cruise in the Turbo... Call me tomorrow if you want to roll with Jay and I (and maybe others).

Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
I just tried to get new tires mounted and ended up asking the guy to stop since he was scatching the hell out of my HRE lip just trying to get the air out of the tire.

Where should I go? Can I trust any of the Big O Tire or other coporate tire places? Are they all just butchers?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
ChasenIS is infamous around these parts
I just tried to get new tires mounted and ended up asking the guy to stop since he was scatching the hell out of my HRE lip just trying to get the air out of the tire.

Where should I go? Can I trust any of the Big O Tire or other coporate tire places? Are they all just butchers?
EF1 Motorsports, in Long Beach CA tell Fabrizio Chasen with the M3 sent you.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about

where did u go........

Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by smokinxtreme
where did u go........
I went to the service station by Malaga Bank on Hawthorn.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
American tire on Hawthorne north of Lomita

Old 07-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I went to the service station by Malaga Bank on Hawthorn.

LOL oh no DO NOT GO TO ANY PV service stating. They can work on your Grandmas Buick but not high end cars as they have NO exp. with them.

Like I said EF1 motorsports in LB. I can guarantee you you'll never service your cars anywhere else...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by smistry007
American tire on Hawthorne north of Lomita
or u can go across the street ....sorry forgot what it was called but there good peeps there.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM
996garage is infamous around these parts996garage is infamous around these parts
If you don't mind going to Gardena off Artesia and Western next to the car wash, ES Technical Roadsport is super careful with everything. The owner of the shop, Ming, has a 997 GT3, and they've serviced all my sports cars for the past 13 years. He's the most honest guy I've ever done business with. You should make an appt though. (310)630-1999

For a generic tire retail shop, that American Tire isn't too bad if you need it right away as you wait. I wouldn't go to them for anything other than mounting tires in an emergency though. ES will generally give you better prices.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned
Thanks guys for all your help.

I got the tires mounted on Friday - that went well.

However, the car handles like hell.

I now have MPS 2 in the front and Toyo T1R in the rear. The car is so twichy that I almost sideswiped someone during a lane change.

The car also kicks in PSM in EVERY turn.

I compared the specs of Michelin and Toyo tires and the are identical. 25.5" front and 25.2" rear. I also called a friend who ran the same combination for over 20k miles without issues.

I think the handling and PSM are two seperate issues.

Handling: because my rear tires were worn heavyly on the inside I ended up with more negative camber with the old tires than I have now.

Do you guys know if any of the local alignment places have these little digital handheld devices which you hold to the center of one wheel and it tells you the camber and toe for just that one wheel?

Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys for all your help.

I got the tires mounted on Friday - that went well.

However, the car handles like hell.

I now have MPS 2 in the front and Toyo T1R in the rear. The car is so twichy that I almost sideswiped someone during a lane change.

The car also kicks in PSM in EVERY turn.

I compared the specs of Michelin and Toyo tires and the are identical. 25.5" front and 25.2" rear. I also called a friend who ran the same combination for over 20k miles without issues.

I think the handling and PSM are two seperate issues.

Handling: because my rear tires were worn heavyly on the inside I ended up with more negative camber with the old tires than I have now.

Do you guys know if any of the local alignment places have these little digital handheld devices which you hold to the center of one wheel and it tells you the camber and toe for just that one wheel?
I suggest getting the same tire compound all around but both of those tires should be gripping well. I have T1R's all around on my M3 an its the best tires Ive ever had so far other than the Nitto Invos which were only a bit quieter.

What shop did the alignment on the car? You also might want to check if your shocks, bushings, ect. are all in good condition.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
+1 For some Palos Verdes enjoyment, I'm in the area and mostly see some Ferraris gathering on Sundays looking all shiny.

For tires and especially mounting stuff you don't want to have destroyed by some klutz, head for City Tire www.citytireonline.com

Tell them you were referred by racedriver Carl Rydquist.

It's not too far of a drive from South Bay considering they won't mess up your wheels - or car, and they have HUGE experience / knowledge database in tires for motorsports and sportscar applications.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MrWhite; 07-07-2009 at 03:36 PM.