996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Performance Friction adding to the mix - More brake options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Thumbs up Performance Friction adding to the mix - More brake options

Guys, I am not associated with PFC but have been needling them for a long time to up their involvement with our cars (they already support GT2/3 and narrow body 996's). It wont take much research to realize that their products are top notch performance products but perfectly streetable also and very competitivly priced too.

I am sure there will be something official over here sooner or later but for now the initial litmus test has been over on rennlist, I just wanted to bring it to our forum's attention that there is another option in the works.

Here is the link to the topic

I'll throw a mention in the sorting the truth from fiction thread also but maybe discussion about this product should be kept out of there until it is actually available..

Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well I hope that with the options becoming available, we'll see the prices on the various rotors come down... I'll warn you guys to price replacement hardware for these two piece rotors... I know one vendor I'm fond of (sells pagid pads exclussively) just posted elsewhere qouting $300 per rotor replacement, which is outragious to me... I can do the Coleman racing hokiepoky for far less... I know some will "claim" that coleman's setup is inferior, but I have 25 total days on the front set I have and we just measured them... I've burned off a total of TWO Mills of thickness on them. Since they're less than $400 per pair, I'll be replacing them with new hardware and outters next spring. If they're good enough for NASCAR, I'm pretty sure a PCA DE car will do just fine on them, especially at 1/4 the price of GIRO replacements.

Mike

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Well I hope that with the options becoming available, we'll see the prices on the various rotors come down... I'll warn you guys to price replacement hardware for these two piece rotors... I know one vendor I'm fond of (sells pagid pads exclussively) just posted elsewhere qouting $300 per rotor replacement, which is outragious to me... I can do the Coleman racing hokiepoky for far less... I know some will "claim" that coleman's setup is inferior, but I have 25 total days on the front set I have and we just measured them... I've burned off a total of TWO Mills of thickness on them. Since they're less than $400 per pair, I'll be replacing them with new hardware and outters next spring. If they're good enough for NASCAR, I'm pretty sure a PCA DE car will do just fine on them, especially at 1/4 the price of GIRO replacements.

Mike

got a pic of these coleman racing hokiepokys?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Tomasz is infamous around these parts
Good stuff.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
They'll make them in floating or solid mounted, vented in either a straight or curved vein design, slotted, solid or cross drilled... For about $1100 for the "initial" set... once they have the hats made for you, all you need to do is re-order the outters along with hat hardware for your type of hat.

Before anyone posts and asks, they do not make a rear rotor setup that will work with your e-brake. These folks supply stuff for NASCAR teams nationwide and I know a number of PCA and other club racers who have used the coleman "stuff" for a long time.

Mike

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Former Vendor
Autoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud ofAutoscope has much to be proud of
I like the PFC's! I have some experience in a C5Z track car with PFC's. The car had 6/4 Wilwoods, then he chunked the wiloods and upgraded to PFC's. Stock to Wilwoods to PFC's. It was interesting feeling the difference! The PFC's pad/rotor life are pretty good, at track rates that is...

Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mikelly
They'll make them in floating or solid mounted, vented in either a straight or curved vein design, slotted, solid or cross drilled... For about $1100 for the "initial" set... once they have the hats made for you, all you need to do is re-order the outters along with hat hardware for your type of hat.

Before anyone posts and asks, they do not make a rear rotor setup that will work with your e-brake. These folks supply stuff for NASCAR teams nationwide and I know a number of PCA and other club racers who have used the coleman "stuff" for a long time.

Mike

Mike, do you happen to know if the Coleman front rotors will fit Brembo GT hats? I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Al,

Discs from major manufactures are generally proprietary to their own applications.
Companies like Brembo, AP, Alcon, and PFC spend great amounts of time and money developing their own products and dedicate more of their focus to innovation and performance, rather than just copying an existing design.

There have been cases where lesser quality brands have copied existing disc dimensions in order to "short cut" their way through the design process, but other than a lesser price a the time of the sale there is no real long term benefit for saving money, and definitely no benefit in terms of performance. Discs are one place you can fake the performance, and that is the reason why Brembo stands above so many others.

Your current discs are going to last longer, perform better, and offer the lowest running cost over time than anything else out there.