996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How accurate is the in-dash boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
How accurate is the in-dash boost gauge?

To all of you who have aftermarket boost gauges, how does the in-dash OBC boost reading compare to the real reading? Higher than true boost value, lower and lags behind, or spot on?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
mine shows consistently .1 bar higher compared to the greedy
tim

Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by colorinc
mine shows consistently .1 bar higher compared to the greedy
tim
Tim -- Thanks for the fast reply and the information!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
My OEM gauge displays the same as Tim's - about .1 bar over the greddy.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting....the boost gauge shows .1 bar over....and the speedometer shows 4 miles faster.....I guess that's sort of built in psychological marketing? You think you're going faster and at a higher boost than you actually are? Is this is the psychology used to keep your speeds slower, boost lower....and possibly add a little longevity or less warranty claims due to lower power thresholds? I've read on these forums that almost universally, the speedo's are 4-5 miles slower....why the built in inaccuracy? I mean Porsche is supposed to be a precision German engineering. Where's the precision in instrumentation?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I've noticed that my speedo is 1.5mph faster than my Pbox. I don't have a boost gauge, so I can't tell if that is off.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Interesting....the boost gauge shows .1 bar over....and the speedometer shows 4 miles faster.....I guess that's sort of built in psychological marketing? You think you're going faster and at a higher boost than you actually are? Is this is the psychology used to keep your speeds slower, boost lower....and possibly add a little longevity or less warranty claims due to lower power thresholds? I've read on these forums that almost universally, the speedo's are 4-5 miles slower....why the built in inaccuracy? I mean Porsche is supposed to be a precision German engineering. Where's the precision in instrumentation?
You mean I'm not crazy???????? My speedo reads 3-4 MPH higher than my GPS--I thought maybe the GPS was off (and maybe it is), but if these speedos are notoriously high, then I feel a little less crazy Maybe I'll borrow a friend's portable GPS and see which two of the three are the same...

Old 04-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
My HKS boost gauge registers and retains (until reset) the peak boost for a particular segment of time as does the Greddy. It is about equal with the factory gauge but when I look at the computer data logged for the whole run, the HKS number is 0.1 bar higher bc the HKS reads and displays the spike.

My Performance box shows my spedo 2mph fast at 60 mph with OEM diameter tires.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
The dash gauge and an ebc take readings from different places w/ respect to the manifold, leading to the dash reading a little higher

Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
My Pbox takes the reading from my cigarette lighter, thats probably why mine is off...

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it depends on what sort of stuff you're smoking