996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kevin/Upsolute Stage II Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Ryan and I had two semi-clean runs, both of which were pretty long... 1st run, we jumped at about the same time, and I pulled slightly from 3rd through 4th, ending up a few car-lengths ahead as Ryan missed 3rd to 4th... this was with 1.1BAR showing on the boost gauge. Then, I had the ABS/PSM failure light come on, so I re-started the car, and the code went away. On the 2nd Run though, I followed his hit, and we were pretty even though the Viper pulled away ever so slightly. I wonder if the car is still trying to fine-tune itself, as this was the 1st time I had run to such high speeds with the new turbos and ECU. Perhaps the ABS/PSM failure had some effect? Previously, I had only used the lower gears to run through the higher RPMs.

We then stopped by a friend's house, and I think I made a mistake by adjusting the wastegate a 2nd turn... thus triggering what most likely is the overboost code, as now, it'll only boost .8 BAR.

In hind sight, I should have spent more time at the "one-plus-turn" wastegate setting for the ECU to learn before going to "two-plus-turn". Damn... no biggy, need to reset the error code and do some data-logging next. What's the quickest way to reset the overboost code? BTW, the ABS/PSM light came on again on the way home... what the heck is that? Time to do some research...

Old 10-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
Disconnect the battery for at least ten minutes...that will resest the ECU.

Good luck..

Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned
Thanks...

Old 10-13-2004, 01:53 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Sounds like fun

Old 10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Banned
Alright, here's the deal.

I disconnected the battery for ~20 minutes, reconnected it, then turn ign to "on" position with door open to reset TB.

When I started the car, there were no error codes on the cluster.

I went for a drive, and the power felt very strong again. Then, I did a pull in 4th gear from ~3500RPM to ~6k RPM, and somewhere before 6kRPM, the ABS/PSM fail light came on again, and on the subquent runs, the boost level got lower and lower.

From searching the forum, it's hopefully a failing MAF. I will replicate the error on the way to the dealership tomorrow or Thursday to have them check it out.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Sounds like this kit has a lot of bugs to be worked out.

Didn't the major tuning companies crack the 1.3 bar shutdown thing a while ago? Why hasn't upsolute yet?

Old 10-13-2004, 08:54 PM
gneypiks is infamous around these partsgneypiks is infamous around these parts
why does the cel comes on only from fourth gear on?i have to reset mine on numerous occassion by unplugging ecu/switching car off.so far this has help but,i wonder is this safe?or the ecu needs further work.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Stephen, I missed 3rd to 4th on the first run. In anycase, my honest opinion is that it appeared to pull a bit more in 3rd, because my 3rd is so tall. Whenever we line up, I'd have to be in 2nd when you're in third, and you can see the viper jump 1car and maintain that distance. I am not sure If I really see the difference pre stageII turbos, or post StageII. I think your turbos are setup to handle more power, but perhaps with a more agressive map. THen again, you only have 150 miles on the ecu. Drive it for another 500, and lets see. If you want we can compare it to the bone stock gt2. You also have the fabspeed loud on now as well breathing more air, so datalog it.

Ryan

Old 10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by StephenTi
Alright, here's the deal.

I disconnected the battery for ~20 minutes, reconnected it, then turn ign to "on" position with door open to reset TB.

When I started the car, there were no error codes on the cluster.

I went for a drive, and the power felt very strong again. Then, I did a pull in 4th gear from ~3500RPM to ~6k RPM, and somewhere before 6kRPM, the ABS/PSM fail light came on again, and on the subquent runs, the boost level got lower and lower.

From searching the forum, it's hopefully a failing MAF. I will replicate the error on the way to the dealership tomorrow or Thursday to have them check it out.
Stephen,

Use your datalog to read and reset the code. once you have it connected, you should be able to see an option to read error codes. If you went beyond 1.3 bar, you'll see "overboost" You can then clear whatever code you have.

You dont need to reset the ecu, etc. That's the great thing about that program. Even if there is no error code, the datalogger can read codes, etc.

Your MAF is probably shot....same problem that I had and porsche gave me a new one under warranty.

Datalog your setup and send back to rene for a fine tune.....you must do that...just use my current setup as a baseline and fine tune from there (as my turbos are not ported/ceramic coated, etc...I just have the basic plain jane stageII turbos).

Old 10-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by twinvipers
The computer at the Porsche dealer showed no codes. I'll call Rene tomorrow.
did you speak to dan harrison about your issues with not being able to datalog and stay connected?

Fyi.... when I had my psm/abs light and simply turned off/restarted the car (clearing the code/lights), even with the PS2, the service tech couldnt pinpoint what happened. I had to drive the car, trigger the code and bring it to the dealership with the lights on.

The datalogging tool showed 02 sensor error codes when we took out your car. You must be able to connect and stay connected to the datalogging tool to see the codes/clear them/datalog.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:22 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
How could they not tell? All you have to do is datalog and screen the MAF. Watch the voltage and you will see if that is the issue.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by PorschePhD
How could they not tell? All you have to do is datalog and screen the MAF. Watch the voltage and you will see if that is the issue.
your guess is as good as mine? there were no codes that pinpointed that the MAF caused the problem. I had to drive the car, trip the lights (without resetting) and bring it back to the dealer. That's when the code indicated that it was the MAF.

I know the PS2 should read everything, but for some reason, it didnt detect the problem until I tripped the lights again?

Old 10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Banned
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Stephen, I missed 3rd to 4th on the first run. In anycase, my honest opinion is that it appeared to pull a bit more in 3rd, because my 3rd is so tall. Whenever we line up, I'd have to be in 2nd when you're in third, and you can see the viper jump 1car and maintain that distance. I am not sure If I really see the difference pre stageII turbos, or post StageII. I think your turbos are setup to handle more power, but perhaps with a more agressive map. THen again, you only have 150 miles on the ecu. Drive it for another 500, and lets see. If you want we can compare it to the bone stock gt2. You also have the fabspeed loud on now as well breathing more air, so datalog it.

Ryan
Wow, didn't know that about miss'n 3rd and 4th... the in light of that, you're right, the two cars are pretty even. It's weird, some runs, I know my car is pull'n much harder than before, while on other runs, it feels more subdued... I will do some datalogging and go get my MAF checked out...

Old 10-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned
twinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nice
Kevin

Can you give me a call tomorrow ? If I can't get this deal working, I'm going to go with EVO.