996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kevin/Upsolute Stage II Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Kevin/Upsolute Stage II Impressions

Well, it's only been about ~150 miles and 2 days since the install, but the results are simply too good to keep from you guys.

I ordered the Stage II Cermaic Coated turbos with port/polished internals/wastegate as well as coated/ported headers. Then, from Upsolute, I ordered the Upsolute II programming.

After everything got bolted in, went through the break-in miles, and slowly ran in each boost level so that the ECU spent enough time in closed-loop to hone in on the AF ratios.

Kudos goes to Bill (BCS996TT) and Rene for theprogramming R&D, as it only took a few runs for the boost to be dialed in and stablized. In fact, only 6th gear at low revs needed a few runs due to the efficient spooling capabilities of these turbos. The other gears were rock solid. Straight out of the box, the ECU was flawless. I need to do some datalogging, but thus far, it doesn't appear to be running rich nor are there any knock, buckling, dips in power, etc. Butter smooth.

And boy did Kevin work his magic on these turbos. Despite the much higher flowing capacity, I can see 1.1 BAR under 3k rpm! The porting done by Kevin did two things... one, it made the wastegate (boost control) much more efficient and responsive... two, the exhaust flow is manipulated such that the energy is more concentrated and less turbulent, further adding to the efficiency of these turbos.

I had asked Kevin to set the wastegate conservatively, as I'd rather work my way up rather than trying to pull it back if overboosting. However, despite the current setting of only 1.1 BAR, the car seems to have a new-found attitude over the previous 1.0 BAR with the stock turbos. Attitude akin to a rottweiler barely being restrained at the end of a steel chain. More impressively, the car retains it's midrange swell to go along with the new-found top end rush. I can tell these turbos are highly efficient, and have a lot more juice in them. Talk about spool-crazy turbos. The car simply rips through the gears. As soon as I can get Kevin on the phone again, I'll be adjusting the wastegates to 1.2~1.3 BAR!

Additionally, these turbos are good for up to ~1.8 BAR and still be in the meat of the compressor map. So, if somebody cracks the tb code, you can really go to town. Yeah, rods are a weak point... but, if you can program a "scramble" setting (momentary controlled over-boost setting), it'd be worth a hoop and holler, lol. And I don't doubt that at low 3k rpms, these turbos will boost ~1.4BAR... I saw it initially before the ECU reeled it back. I was very careful to let off anytime I saw over 1.3BAR until the ECU learned the boost curve, which again, only happened in 6th gear at lower RPMs.... and only took a few runs to learn.

I'll have to get a hold of Shank to use one of his toys as a litmus. Previously, we were pretty close to even between my 1.0BAR stock-turbo'd setup and his SRT10. I'm curious how things will differ with my 1.1BAR with new turbos. I've gotta hurry before his Viper gets sent out for the 1000000 hp mod.

Oh yeah, btw, my home-brewed HKS SSBOV setup feels right at home with this new setup. I still lose no momentum between shifts, nor do I experience any CEL's (fingers crossed). Go figure... maybe it's an '01 thing. Not a bad trade-off for the lack of a glove-box I suppose.

I'm sure the question will come up, so I'll answer it now. The turbos were ~$2600 (+$500 core-exchange charge) fully optioned out with porting/polishing/coating/billet back-plate. The billet backing plate is only for future considerations of higher boost. The rest has been explained already. You can get the basic turbo for as low as ~$1600, though don't quote me on it... ask Kevin. Coated/ported headers were $1300.

The Upsolute was $150 + ship for the upgrade, as I had previously already purchased the initial Stage I ($500). If you went directly to the Stage II, it'd cost you $500. Again, verify with Rene. (The best $500 you'll ever spent on your car, whether it'd be Stage I or II). I also bought a gently used Fabspeed Loud for $1250... and boy is it loud... talk about one pissed-off sounding exhaust! Bullets... duck...

Since I was able to get $3200 shipped for my previous exhaust (which I loved, but was beyond its 600hp rating), all in all, this upgrade didn't really put too much of a dent in my finances.

Life is good...

I need to find some local guys to compare with... Dave... Tim... Shank... Lou... time for a gathering!

Old 10-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Is there a website that has info on this package anywhere?

What is your approximate hp and will you be dynoing it or is there a dyno available?

I heard they are making a stage III, is this true?

This sounds like the absolute best bang for the buck upgrade for the turbo. Good to hear that is works perfectly with the HKS bov setup as well.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
Hey Stephen,

Thanks for the great write and congratulations on getting your setup done.

I'm sure this has been asked in the past and I and many others would appreciate if you could respond on the following question, "How much horsepower would this setup produce?

Many have asked Bill and Twinvipers but as yet there hasn't been a response, so could you clarify this.

Best of luck and enjoy your newly boosted beast.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:50 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Stephen,

Great write up! I knew you would love it just as much as I do!

It's absolutely awesome! I bet if you datalog and send the results to rene, he'll be able to fine tune it perfectly with your ported turbos for even more power.

Now I need to get the ported turbos, etc.! Kevin...are you reading this?!?!?!

Im still confused with the BOV issue. On my car, performance was terrible. Maybe it was a defective BOV? Never heard back from Akkurat, so Alex, if you're reading this, what happened?

Any chance you'll be in NY with the car? I'd love to compare our cars!

As for the dyno...there are no good shops that I know of that have a dynojet in the area that deal with Porsches. If someone in the NJ/NY/CT area can let me know of a good shop (dynojet), i'll set something up right away.

I do know of one import shop that has a dynojet, but they dont want to mess around with disconnecting the drive shaft, etc. I would rather not do it myself, but if all else fails, that might be my only choice.

Last edited by BCS996TT; 10-12-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by sticky
What is your approximate hp and will you be dynoing it or is there a dyno available?

Approx power is 600FWHP with my setup (even with GIAC IV).

StageIII is already out....no upsolute tuning avail as of now....

maybe i'll venture to test this setup?

Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by BCS996TT
Stephen,

Great write up! I knew you would love it just as much as I do!

It's absolutely awesome! I bet if you datalog and send the results to rene, he'll be able to fine tune it perfectly with your ported turbos for even more power.

Now I need to get the ported turbos, etc.! Kevin...are you reading this?!?!?!

Im still confused with the BOV issue. On my car, performance was terrible. Maybe it was a defective BOV? Never heard back from Akkurat, so Alex, if you're reading this, what happened?

Any chance you'll be in NY with the car? I'd love to compare our cars!

As for the dyno...there are no good shops that I know of that have a dynojet in the area that deal with Porsches. If someone in the NJ/NY/CT area can let me know of a good shop (dynojet), i'll set something up right away.

I do know of one import shop that has a dynojet, but they dont want to mess around with disconnecting the drive shaft, etc. I would rather not do it myself, but if all else fails, that might be my only choice.
Heya man, when we got back the kit we noticed that the BOV's screw/spring was faulty so that was why on that one We've changed things around on that set up now also....

Old 10-13-2004, 02:08 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Re: Kevin/Upsolute Stage II Impressions

Originally posted by StephenTi

I'll have to get a hold of Shank to use one of his toys as a litmus. Previously, we were pretty close to even between my 1.0BAR stock-turbo'd setup and his SRT10. I'm curious how things will differ with my 1.1BAR with new turbos. I've gotta hurry before his Viper gets sent out for the 1000000 hp mod.

I need to find some local guys to compare with... Dave... Tim... Shank... Lou... time for a gathering!
Well Stephen, I am back in Chi-Town after a 3 week Post Hurricane(s) hiatus in Miami. Viper is being shipped tomrw night or Thursday Morn....so better to get to that closed circuit course w/me tonight.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:20 AM
srika is infamous around these partssrika is infamous around these parts
I got a ride in StephenTi's 996 after he got this new turbos on. It's a MONSTER and I was gripping for my dear life. Insanity. I need one.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Banned
Originally posted by sticky
Is there a website that has info on this package anywhere?

This sounds like the absolute best bang for the buck upgrade for the turbo. Good to hear that is works perfectly with the HKS bov setup as well.
I believe Kevin has a site in the works... you can contact him at kmatwichuk@att.net

At this point, programming is the limitation. He can build you turbos to boost anything you want, but our TB-safeguard don't like anything over ~1.35... unless you go stand-alone ecu of course.

As I understand it, not all Porsche Turbos like venting to atm. My loves it, so go figure.

As far as best bang-for-buck... that's up to you to decide. This setup will hold its own against other setups costing 2~4X more. In fact, Bill's "basic" turbos (non-ported non-coated non-billet-backing-plate versions of mine) have previously proven themselves against the Stage IV already. It just depends on what you're looking for in your decision, that's all. To each his own...

Stephen

Old 10-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Kevin
Stephen;

After everything got bolted in, went through the break-in miles, and slowly ran in each boost level so that the ECU spent enough time in closed-loop to hone in on the AF ratios.

I want to thank you for resisting the urge to pounce on your new system. How many miles did you end up driving? It is SO important to have the ECU adapt to the efficiency of the turbochargers and added boost.

Enjoy and have some fun.. How's your mid-range throttle response, off boost-on boost? The wastegates need to be adjusted 1mm clockwise. Make sure that both nuts are locked, so that they don't back off by mistake.

Yes, Bill needs to be Thanked for his hard work for the data-logging and program changes that were done.
Kevin,

Thanks for being patient with my emails and phone calls. I've been around turbo cars a very long time, so I knew the importance of properly breaking-in the seals. Likewise, I've also tuned ECUs before, so I knew to spend as much time as possible in each quadrant for the ECU to learn closed-loop.

Throttle response despite the larger turbos is crisp. Not laggy at all like my Single Turbo Supra. Suffice to say, the car is a beast. Mid-range surge and top-end rush... what more can one ask for their turbo-charged car!

Thanks again, Kevin!

PS... sorry about that last VM... I made the call while walking my two dogs, and as your VM kicked in, they decided to tangle themselves all around me... hence, the semi-coherent phrasings...

*** Here's a quickie lesson regarding ECU fine-tuning for those of you interested... the ECU is always shooting for an AF ratio as programmed by the tuner(unless there's an overriding open-loop condition pre-programmed in). So, for a given load, RPM, boost, etc, the ECU needs to visit each set condition a few times to establish it's mappings... an initial program is in place, of course, but only through visiting each quadrant will the ECU be able to fine-tune it self. Hence, you want to take your time and slowly/methodically visit each RPM from low to high boost. Higher gears are preferrable so that more time is spent at each intersection of the variables. That is the best way to help your ECU fine-tune. ***

Old 10-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Banned
Originally posted by FAT-911
Hey Stephen,

Thanks for the great write and congratulations on getting your setup done.

I'm sure this has been asked in the past and I and many others would appreciate if you could respond on the following question, "How much horsepower would this setup produce?

Many have asked Bill and Twinvipers but as yet there hasn't been a response, so could you clarify this.

Best of luck and enjoy your newly boosted beast.
I don't like to speculate HP, so the honest answer is "I don't know". Proof is in the dyno, I always say, so I'll post it if I get a chance to dyno it. Once the ECU has fine-tuned itself at the present 1.1BAR, I'll set the wastegate to 1.2 to set free a few more horses.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Banned
BTW... thanks, Bill... for paving the way, and your fine "customer support"

Old 10-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by StephenTi
BTW... thanks, Bill... for paving the way, and your fine "customer support"
Anytime Stephen! It's a blast having fun with these cars!

Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Banned
twinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nice
I wish we could figure out why my car does not run right. Bill came to NY last week with no luck. I am grateful he came, but my car still runs like crap. I need help !!!

Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Banned
twinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nicetwinvipers is just really nice
The computer at the Porsche dealer showed no codes. I'll call Rene tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kevin/Upsolute Stage II Impressions