996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dyno comparison between Proto's Dynapak and standard Dynojet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Dyno comparison between Proto's Dynapak and standard Dynojet

We just got back from dyno'ing my buddy Peter's awesome Protomotive 3.8L TT. The car is phenomenal and runs VERY strong (we'll be getting some 60-130's #'s soon). Anyway, it's currently running 100 octane, so we were limited to 1.35 BAR.

We dyno'd it on a Dynojet near my house that I consider to be dead-nuts accurate. I dyno'd my Z06 on it when it was bone-stock, and it made 443 rwhp...exactly where it should have.

On Proto's Dyno, Peter's car made 834 rwhp at 1.35 BAR on 100 octane...in 30-40 degree weather with the rear bumper and air filters removed and lots of fans blowing in the right spots. Today's run was made in 91 degree, humid weather with nothing removed, with 2 small fans blowing air backwards into the rear vents.

It made 745 rwhp....a difference of about 11%.

Both myself and the dyno operators believe that on a 35 degree day, it would have hit 780+ rwhp at the same boost on this dyno. With the bumper and filters removed, add another 20 hp to that. But, what we made is what we made.

Anyway, the car makes a solid 750 rwhp on 100 octane in nasty conditions...and it's fast as f*ck. I figure it would have made around 830 rwhp at full boost on C16 today, if we had the fuel.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-28-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
So, are you saying that the Proto dyno spotted you about 50 rwhp?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
So, are you saying that the Proto dyno spotted you about 50 rwhp?

Well...it was actually 90 HP...but given the same conditions (temperature, humidity, bumper and filters removed, fans)...I'm guessing closer to 35 or so.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
That is what I noticed...I dynoed 45 hp less on Hennesseys unit, but it was hot w/ no fans. The last time I dynoed at 670 it was w/ no fans.

However I know of a dyno that is more generous than Todds if I really wanted inflated #'s. In any event, 60-130 is all I care about.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Funny you would mention this... I noticed today that in this heat, and with this pollin that my car was a tad slower. You just can't put a price on cool crisp weather for making great numbers!

Glad I'm not the only one who would remove the rear bumper (or front bumper) in pursuit of catching as much power on the rollers...

Mike

Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
That is what I noticed...I dynoed 45 hp less on Hennesseys unit, but it was hot w/ no fans. The last time I dynoed at 670 it was w/ no fans.
Plus you had your bumper and filters in place at Hennessy's, but they were removed at Todd's.

However I know of a dyno that is more generous than Todds if I really wanted inflated #'s. In any event, 60-130 is all I care about.
Oh, absolutely. And this post wasn't to say anything negative about Todd's dyno. It's extremely accurate when being used for tuning, since it shows very slight changes in power from one run to the next. Plus, Proto cars are monsters and have the 60-130 and trap speeds to prove it.

I just posted this because people have asked about it before, and sharing information with one another is what this forum is all about.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Funny you would mention this... I noticed today that in this heat, and with this pollin that my car was a tad slower. You just can't put a price on cool crisp weather for making great numbers!

Glad I'm not the only one who would remove the rear bumper (or front bumper) in pursuit of catching as much power on the rollers...

Mike

Ya, we definitely have some power robbing weather out there today, bro.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Scott, How will your car perform against Peter's?Just let me know the time & coordinates & I will have a satellite record the event.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Scott, How will your car perform against Peter's?Just let me know the time & coordinates & I will have a satellite record the event.
Against my Z06? Not sure yet, but we'll find out soon.

In all honesty, I think he'll take me if he's running full boost (1.55 BAR on C16).

Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Setting up a car on the dyno is as important as dyno-ing it...
I think most cars at Proto get the same treatment...
Goes to show how certain things can make a big difference... Which is another reason why a dyno sheet is not always the best "selling" point...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL